Rope lighting

Northshore

I am considering rope lighting to be installed beneath the overhang of the platform I am building. Has any of the forum members installed this type of lighting? and if so, what was the result and or pitfalls. The platform is 72" x 120" x 8" high with a 2 1/2 inch lip that will be carpeted. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I don't think there is any down side,just maybe other options.My wife put the rope lighting over our kitchen cabs,it looks ok.I thought about rope lighting on my entertainment center,I opted for a variation that is set in metal,brass/black /white etc..it's not floppy so easier for me to mount.

Guest Anonymous

i have it in my ktitchen, well its more of a real thin wire that is bent all up in crazy patterns with the real small halogens, and it looks awesome, well i think so!

2 1/2 lip may sound good from an archetictural standpoint, but it's a real trip hazard. Even with the lighting, there are physical dimensions that people expect when ascending/descending steps and depending on the width of the treads below, your wide lip may catch toes and trip people up.

COnsider shortening to 1 1/2 " or consult book at library on stair or deck building to see what the standards are. Just my .02

EDIT just reread your original post. If the platform is just your equipment deck and 'the public' or kids won't be stepping up there, prob no harm in haveing the wider lip. I'd install the rope lights with plastic conduit clamps so similar. Don't use staples, one pierce and it's all over. I kinda like em. Just don't use the animated ones, on or off. DOn't know if you can dim them or not. END EDIT

Michael

Because our theater is in our basement, it was important to illuminate our stairwell, yet control the amount of light-bleed into the theater. Therefore, I chose to mount clear, rope lighting beneath the oak handrail that is mounted on one wall of the stairwell. The rope light is hidden from view by the large handrail. The resultant light illuminates only the stair-treads, but does not light up the walls. I have it connected to a an in-line dimmer for now that affords us perfect control over the stair lighting. Eventually, we'll be connecting it to an X-10 dimmer so we can include the rope light control with the rest of our wireless lighting automation control. Rope lighting is a nice, cheap alternative to individual fixtures or LED & Fiber-optic lighting, which are both currently very expensive. If the actual rope is placed out of direct view, the impact of having one of the bulbs in the middle burn out is much less noticable than if the rope were exposed to direct view. Best of luck!

Hey Northshore - I did just exactly what you're proposing. My lip was almost 4" (shuddup Michael...don't need no stickin' ergonomics lecture2.gif) and I did that in order to better conceal the rope lights when seated. Installation was very easy and the only real issue was getting the proper length since I was using Home Depot and Lowes. Since then I've found some places on-line that will custom cut rope lights. I plan to use them for the next HT project.

If you want to chat more, PM me. 1.gif

Tom

very cool flyingV! expecialy like the popcorn machine!

4way seating by???

Are you involved with learjets? I used to work in parts dept her in INdy for Gates Learjet in the 80's.

Tom, instead of widening the lip, could you use in inverted 'L' angle attached to underside of lip to shield the lights from view and kicking? Just an idea, don't come over here and kick my heiny!

Michael

"Tom, instead of widening the lip, could you use in inverted 'L' angle attached to underside of lip to shield the lights from view and kicking? Just an idea, don't come over here and kick my heiny!"

Well....seeings how my stage/platform is complete, the answer would be no.1.gif

Kick your heiny? No way Jose! 1.gif

Hey FlyingV - you better post some pics of that fine looking HT in the "Show us YOUR home theater" thread. 1.gif

Tom

Tom, I did post on the "Show Your System Thread" on page 3. However, here is a link to more photos and details for those that haven't seen it. The big black subs in the front of the room are gone... didn't need them!

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=49550&forumID=71&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={BBCFAA90-B95F-49D9-A2FA-CFAB1409D71D}

Hey Tom thanks for the photos and the advice, I found rope lighting on Ebay in the correct length for my project. Thanks everyone else for the advice and comments as well. My contractor moved ever closer to completing the work on my theater today and it looks great. Hopefully in the next 45 days I will have a finished product complete with painting and components.