Khorns on ebay

SCOOTERDOG

Pair (well almost) Khorns on ebay. Bid is 1000 and only one day left. They are said to have been in storage in the original boxes. Problem is one of the tops is missing. If I lived near Ontario I would snag these. Would not be hard to fab a top for these. There are also some KV55's and K77's on ebay. One could snag them all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993&item=5754155758&rd=1

For grins I looked to see how far they were from me since I am around 60 miles from Montreal. These are on the other side of the province around 371 miles from me one way. If the price stays low it could be a potential deal. The S/N's aren't matching either but they look good enough so it really isn't an issue.

I have always wanted Khorns, but never had the space...still don't think I have the ideal space at 13X16 with an 8 foot ceiling am I setting myself up for disappointment if I were to get these?

I have a friend in Toronto willing to get/store them for me till I can make a trip up AND my parents live in Detroit so not an impossible task to get them from there either. I know the price is right, but logistically I don't want to impose on others and output the cash if I am only going to be happier with Chorus and Forte.

Any rough idea on how much to buy the parts for the top and what would be involved with the wood work? I am fairly handy, but by no means a cabinet maker.

Thanks for any and all advice, Rich

FRZ, let me know if you are gooing to bid...if you are I will NOT.

That is about the same size room that I have 4 of them in, disappointed - not hardly! You have no idea what you are in for if you get them.

You could buy CA blacksmith's La Scala top section to run with them until you can get a top section built. It will sit right on top and all you have to do is run a lead from LF out to the Khorn bass bin.

Used AA network - $50-$75

Used K-77/K-77M tweeter $50-$100

New K-401K Horn - $50

Used K-55V midrange driver - $65-$100

The rest would be some woodworking I cant help with the pricing on that.

Go for it Rich, I have 4 Khorns already and 371 mile trip one way does not appeal to me. I hope you score them! If you can get them for a little over $1K that would be fabulous.

FRZN, thanks for the green light any thoughts on my room size seeing as you have two pair? I know they say 10 foot ceilings. My corners have plenty of walls in each direction. Guess the next problem will be that my Chorus/Academy/Forte probably won't be the right mix in the center/back so I have to now start looking for LS, Belle, Corns. This hobby is killing my wife's ability to be understanding.

I do have Heresies. I imagine I could run KH/Heresy/KH up front and Chorus/Heresy/Chorus in the back...surely that would hold me over, no?

Man I am getting fired up about this for some reason. My Chorus are even walnut!

Anyone else have thoughts on my room? Am I getting in over my head?

EDIT: sorry FRZN did guess I only read the "go for it line" before I replied. All excited on this end.

Are you kidding? The Chorus, Forte' and Academy will match very nicely in the rear. No need to go full fledged Heritage in the back when you have the extended Heritage already. I started with Heresy II's and a/d/s L300E's in the back and progressed from there.

Oh FRZN you are killing me now...making it too easy for me to pull the trigger. My wife is going to kill me then kill you. Hearing so many of the perfectionists rip on the pseudo-heritage (Chorus/Forte/Quartet) vs. The Real Heritage (KH/LS/Belle/Corn) I thought maybe I might not be as happy with a KH pseudo mix as I currently am. Ok rip is the wrong term but there seems to be some underlying tone that I pick up that Chorus/Forte/Quartet are not really heritage speakers. I love the sound of them all and the Klipsch web site terms all discontinued models as Classic as far as I can tell, but they surely say the C/F/Q were in the heritage line and that is how my Forte IIs were sold to me back in the 90s. At any rate that is for another thread so I can gain a little more education from all the great and helpful people around here.

I recently changed my set up from Chorus/Academy/Chorus front with Forte/Academy/Forte back *TO* Chorus/Forte/Chorus front with Academy/Forte/Academy and am so happy I did. I really like the front as it is seamless. I also have a set of Heresy and Heresy II. Surely I have enough to find something that will get by should I score the Khorns.

Wish me luck!

Dont know why this did not occur to me earlier. Heresies are a good match with the khorns in the high/mids arent they? So If I was to have Khorn/Heresy/Khorn up front and Heresy/Heresy/Heresy in the back I should be all set with two Academies and a pair of beautiful Chorus to sell. Cant get rid of my Forte as I am the original owner and am very attached to themthinking of being buried with them.

Also if I was to have a shorter heresy center in the front as opposed to my current tall line up I should be able to build some sort of stage/enclosure for the heresy and sub to make it more theater like. Currently my C/F/C are right under my screen.

Ahhh, the highs and lows of speaker lust. I was so fired up about this my mind was going 100 mile an hour thinking of the reorg of room and other things. Currently they are over 1700too rich for my blood. A long way away from my house to travel and needing a few hundred for the LS top or other parts puts my in the neighborhood of 2K and I eventually need to make the right cabinet for WAF. Khorns can be had from time to time in the 2500 range and no need to track down parts and make things. I had a mental price tag around 1500. So I did not even get the chance to see the sniping software in action.

Still they do look to be more or less new. Hope they go to a forum member.

Thanks for all the advice on what I would need and the sanity check on my other line up of speakers.

So anyone out there in the Baltimore area have a pair for 2K or so? Does not hurt to ask, right?

----------------

On 3/1/2005 5:09:39 PM rplace wrote:

Ahhh, the highs and lows of speaker lust. I was so fired up about this my mind was going 100 mile an hour thinking of the reorg of room and other things. Currently they are over 1700…too rich for my blood. A long way away from my house to travel and needing a few hundred for the LS top or other parts puts my in the neighborhood of 2K and I eventually need to make the right cabinet for WAF. Khorns can be had from time to time in the 2500 range and no need to track down parts and make things. I had a mental price tag around 1500. So I did not even get the chance to see the sniping software in action.

Still they do look to be more or less new. Hope they go to a forum member.

Thanks for all the advice on what I would need and the sanity check on my other line up of speakers.

So anyone out there in the Baltimore area have a pair for 2K or so? Does not hurt to ask, right?

----------------

Dang, I followed this thread all the way to this last post only to see it has a tragic ending! How sad... D8.gif

Better luck next time!

Damn, I just checked them and they are at $1746 I totally understand especially since there is only a single top section between them. Just so that you know I got my '88 OO Khorns for $1250 and my '77 WO Khorns for $1375 so I agree it is a good idea to hold out. How far are you from Evansville, IN a pair just popped up on eBay in that area. They look a little filthy though.