RW-12 vs RSW-12

D-Rex

Okay, I received my RSW-12 yesterday and today I am going to try and test the differences between the two. I have already noticed that the RSW seems a bit smoother with music but give me some things to listen for and notice that you all have either heard as the difference or believe there should be a difference. I haven't had a good chance to test a movie, but my wife is exiting the house later today so I will get that chance!

A problem I have noticed with the RSW is that it likes to kick off in the middle of a song when it is on auto. It kicks back on when I flip it to the on position but I was curious if anyone knows why it would do kick off when it is receiving a signal.

Thanks,

D

----------------

On 3/2/2005 11:30:19 AM Frzninvt wrote:

The signal is not strong enough (voltage wise) to keep the sub active, my old KSW-15 was the same way it seems things have not gotten much better.

----------------

That's odd because I didn't notice the RW-12 doing that... oh well, I can just leave it in the 'on' position. Thanks for the response... I was just curious what the problem might be!

D

The sub should NOT kick off in the middle of a song - first, double check all your connections, and then bump your LFE level up by 2 or 3 db - the RW-12 and RSW-12 auto-off circuit *should* have similar sensitivities - if it requires more boost than that, there may be a problem with the subwoofer amplifier.

The RW-12 sub I used to have wouldn't kick off in the middle of a song but I did have to crank the volume up to allow the auto on to kick in when I first put something on. I tried raising the sub output on the receiver and lowerng the sub gain to compensate to no avail. I never did resolve the issue.

Well, I must tell you, I am having a hard time justifying the additional cash outlay to get the RSW-12 over the RW-12. Like I said it is smoother with the music but I just went through Jurassic Park (T-Rex escapes), Minority Report (car manufacturing plant), and LOTR (mines with Balrok, I think that is the rock creatures name) and the RW-12 hardly missed a beat. I kept all the subwoofer controls the same as well as the receiver volume at -10. As for location, I have them stacked with the RSW on top of the RW in a less than optimal location. However, they both still rocked the house even if it was less than optimal.

Overall, I was impressed with both but, for the money, it seems the RW-12 is a better value. Any comments or suggestions to make a better or more valid comparison?

D

I could have told you that without owning either. The RSW-12 is easily a better subwoofer and will sound smooth and not boomy. I would think that the RW-12 would be a little on the boomy sound.

Using them together I think that they would compliment one another if that is your plan.

----------------

On 3/2/2005 3:30:39 PM Frzninvt wrote:

I could have told you that without owning either. The RSW-12 is easily a better subwoofer and will sound smooth and not boomy. I would think that the RW-12 would be a little on the boomy sound.

Using them together I think that they would compliment one another if that is your plan.

----------------

If one's primary reason for owning a sub is music then the RSW probably would be worth the extra money. The RW-12 is a little (just a little) boomy the louder you try to listen to the point that it sounds a tad (just a tad) distorted. I have turned the RW-12 down (not much) just to alleviate this.

But, I was expecting more of a punch from movies as well and I just didn't get it to the extent that I was expecting. Yes, it is still a better sub but I couldn't justify the extra cash outlay if I had to (which I essentially have to do with the wife!)

My plan was to buy both and then keep the best one and sell the other. So, one of these will have to go. I still don't know which one it will be yet... although my inclination is to keep the RSW.

----------------

On 3/3/2005 7:29:42 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Why not just go with dual RW-12's then? A little polyfill in the enclosure may eliminate some of the boominess.

----------------

I will give the RSW-12 a few months to either grow on me or provide me the final reasons to sell it. Maybe it needs some additional break in time, or maybe it is more sensitive to placement. I don't know, I will keep tinkering and keep seeing if anyone here cares to bounce ideas around in the meantime.

Thanks,

D

"Why not just go with dual RW-12's then? A little polyfill in the enclosure may eliminate some of the boominess"

FYI The RSW is not a boomy sub.Where did you get that notion from? Just use a proper crossover point.Even when crossed over at a high 80Hz point no RSW is boomy.

Some people saying a Sunfire is boomy! Try a Sony WM40 and you will know EXACTLY what a boomy sub is all about.Try any KSW sub and you will also know boomy.

Any sub in the wrong room,in the wrong position,crossed over at the wrong frequency will be "boomy".

----------------

On 3/3/2005 11:47:27 PM TheEAR wrote:

"Why not just go with dual RW-12's then? A little polyfill in the enclosure may eliminate some of the boominess"

FYI The RSW is not a boomy sub.Where did you get that notion from? Just use a proper crossover point.Even when crossed over at a high 80Hz point no RSW is boomy.

Some people saying a Sunfire is boomy! Try a Sony WM40 and you will know EXACTLY what a boomy sub is all about.Try any KSW sub and you will also know boomy.

Any sub in the wrong room,in the wrong position,crossed over at the wrong frequency will be "boomy".

----------------

He said "RW-12"

----------------

On 3/4/2005 3:19:37 AM Blackmesa wrote:

----------------

On 3/3/2005 11:47:27 PM TheEAR wrote:

----------------

He said "RW-12"

----------------

Yes, he was referring to the RW-12 because I said compared to the RSW-12 the RW-12 was a little (just a little) boomy to me. However, for the price I paid for it, I am considering it a better buy and am considering placing my RSW-12 up for sale. However, I am going to give it at least another month before I make a decision. I could then take the proceeds and buy a second RW-12 and stack them or, (more likely) look for an SVS sub on the cheap to augment the deep bass of my system. Either way, I am more than happy to finally begin listening and comparing these subs.

D

----------------

On 3/4/2005 10:41:15 AM mikwebb wrote:

IF you sell the rw12 i will buy it.

----------------

Okay, Mike, I will keep you in mind! But, it will be a few weeks to a month before I make a decision and I might have a local buyer...

Thanks,

D

Quick question guys need your opinion. Basically I'am looking at the rw 12 just for music it will be hooked up to a stereo reciever not a home theater system. ( I run 2 systems in my house one for music one for movies). Is this a good sub for music I read up top its a little boomy, I guess my question is are there better subs out there for the price of the rw 12 that would work better for me for just rock music? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

----------------

On 3/8/2005 3:31:51 PM Bloodlustt wrote:

Quick question guys need your opinion. Basically I'am looking at the rw 12 just for music it will be hooked up to a stereo reciever not a home theater system. ( I run 2 systems in my house one for music one for movies). Is this a good sub for music I read up top its a little boomy, I guess my question is are there better subs out there for the price of the rw 12 that would work better for me for just rock music? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

----------------

I am not the best one to answer your question but I will tell you what I can based upon my limited experience.

I did say the RW-12 is a "little boomy" but don't let that scare you, I am seriously considering keeping it over the RSW-12. Now, that might tell you I am not a subwoofer "expert" or that might tell you the differences between the RW-12 and the RSW-12 are miniscule to the un-trained ear.

So, I think, for the money, and if you can tolerate a little less than perfection from your sub then the RW-12 is a very good one. However, if clean and crisp are two things you can't go without then maybe forking over a little more dough is what you need to do. I just don't want my "little boomy" comments to scare you away from a good sub because you should expect an RSW to outperform an RW sub!

Take care,

D

I think this thread is great. Too many of you boost about your beloved RWS's and give little credit to the younger RW line. The fact is the RW's are a lot more economical and use virtually the same components (expect for amplification and port rather than passive radiator) as the RSW's. At least one person can not justify the difference of twice the price for the RSW.