Someone grab this transport - FAST

Guy Landau

That's a good deal. A transport will spin your cd. You need to hook it up to a DAC(digital audio converter) to hear your cd. It's like half a cd player but a supposedly very good one. Low jitter, removes all that basic mechanical operation from the digital conversion path. That's about as un-scientific an answer as you'll ever get!

----------------

On 3/2/2005 8:47:03 PM scott0527 wrote:

That's a good deal. A transport will spin your cd. You need to hook it up to a DAC(digital audio converter) to hear your cd. It's like half a cd player but a supposedly very good one. Low jitter, removes all that basic mechanical operation from the digital conversion path. That's about as un-scientific an answer as you'll ever get!
----------------

and it's already been sold.

Guy,

I have a DAC question that nobody will difinitively answer. I want to use a transport, a satellite radio and a computer as digital sources. I know that using a coaxial connection, I should be able to buy a good quality switch and build a box to switch between the three sources.

My question is will an older DAC (like an EVS or an Apogree) work with all three sources. I read that these three sources use different bandwidths (or something like that). If I have to go with a new DAC, I think that teh Benchmark is the way to go.

thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Many dacs have more than one digital input so look for one that has 3 inputs.

The new Apogee Minidac ($999) http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/minidac.php?show=features has many inputs including USB ($200 extra). It also has an along volume control and can be used without a preamp.

The old apogee has coax/optical and AES/EBU inputs.

----------------

On 3/3/2005 12:19:59 AM Guy Landau wrote:

Chris,

Many dacs have more than one digital input so look for one that has 3 inputs.

The new Apogee Minidac ($999)
has many inputs including USB ($200 extra). It also has an along volume control and can be used without a preamp.

The old apogee has coax/optical and AES/EBU inputs.

----------------

I keep hearing that the Benchmark is the one to go for at the $1,000 range. It has an optical, a coaxial and an xlr input. If I have a computer that is far from the DAC, isn't the XLR necessary?

Chris