MC-30's RESTORED - look who won !

Born2RockU

Bummer on missing the 350B's. I got offered a quad of NU's last spring for $500, but I had just spent my available/disposable $$$ on the MC-30's in the first place. I'm still PO'd I didn't buy those. Been kicking myself in the arse ever since.

NosValves: On the Valve Art KT66 - Wolfram (Dubai2000 on the forum) has used the VA KT66 - albeit in a cryo'd version. He seems to like his. What I would really be interested in would be a comparison of the Valve Art to the GEC KT66....anyone here have experience with the Valve Arts?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am indeed pretty pleased with my Chinese KT66 replicas. Not having heard the 'real stuff' I wouldn't know how much I am missing, but I recall one of Craig's posts in which he described the sonic differences not worth the extra expense. For myself I notice that I am not looking for alternative output tubes (which is a good sign as I tend to be curious, but somehow those Valve Arts perform in a very satisfactory way). So I'd definitely give them a try 2.gif .

Wolfram

I AB'ed the GEC KT66 to the Valve Arts for a few weeks the difference was very hard to pick out. The tone of the 2 tubes is dead on Identical. I did finally notice the the soundfield with the GEC seemed to rise slightly higher then with the Valve Art. To me it just didn't seem to rise $600 higher LOL !! I also have listened to the 350B now these truly are a different breed of tube with a sound all there own. They may be rugged in a MC30 but they do not care for 500+ plate voltage my VRD's just push them a little to hard I'd be afraid they wouldn't hold up in the long run.

Valve Art is doing a fine job with there GEC replica tubes. I heard even less difference between the GEC KT88 and the VA KT88. Another really good KT88 is the Shuguang KT88SC but these seem hard to find.

Craig

Let me ask you this, NOS: For a 6L6GC or KT66 current production tube (read INEXPENSIVE), what's the best I can do overall, in your opinion? Have you heard the Svetlana 6L6 winged C's (supposedly a good 6L6 on the cheap)? I'm thinking of getting a GE 6L6 quad - not too expensive in strong used versions - but what of the newer production options for my MC-30's?

BTW - I am currently using RCA 6L6GC blackplates. Is that ahead of any current production stuff, including the current KT-66's?

Craig,

No No don't use KT88 in your MC30's !!

Audible Nectar,

I'm not versed in all the different 6L6 options especially for a MC30. I bet Allan and a few others around here can chime in on the best low buck options. I bet the Valve Art KT66 surely wouldn't sound bad at all. Plus they look really cool. The eBay seller Cellvalve is a stand up guy I have bought tubes form him a few times. He even replaced one once no questions asked.

Craig

I understand guy's.....

NO ! KT-88's in the MC-30's.

I had no intensions.

I saw this and mis-interpreted it.

Valve Art is doing a fine job with there GEC replica tubes.

I heard even less difference between the GEC KT88 and the VA KT88.

Another really good KT88 is the Shuguang KT88SC but these seem hard to find.

What kind of KT-66's are you getting?

I likely will get the VA's, as I wish to have backup sets in 6L6GC (I'm thinking GE) and KT-66 varieties. Even if the VA's do not end up being my main tubes, I think I would like to try them anyway. For that price, they certainly are worth a try - and they've received quite a few good reviews.

I sure would like to hear the better varieties (GEC KT66 and the 350B's), just to find out how much I'm missing out on. Elimination of future tube candidates is just as valuable of information as finding the tubes I like. If the 350B's or the GEC's really are "all that", I would like to know, as well as if they turn out not to be worth it to me. I've got a hunch though, based on Allan and Ben's discussions and recommendations, that I can do better with these amps than the RCA 6L6GC's. Not that I'm dissatisfied, but the RCA's rate down the list amongst those who have tried the 350B's and GEC's. I guess I'm just curious what I'm missing.

I have finally tested all these MC-30's tubes

and they didn't test well,

so I have decided to send the amps to :

Terry DeWick

1829 Plumb Branch Road

Knoxville, TN 37932-2040

Phone : (865) 691-2446, 10AM to 10PM EST

E-Mail : Terry DeWick

... for an evaluation.

Terry saw the EBay photos and the $1200 price I got them for.

He said that I got these two MC-30's for an incredible price.

They both still have the selenium diodes in the bias supply that

should be changed to silicon and the bias needs adjusting to

correct the value due to the better diode replacement...

...and also the main capacitors are to be replaced

They will be returned in two weeks...

...BUT I havent decided on the tubes . I feel a need to replace them all.

Any other suggestions.

(besides those $1200 Quad WE 350B's)