Advice needed: Wireless headphones for Mom (Happy Birthday!)

fini

It's Mom's 81st Birthday today, and I am just now getting around to researching her gift! I mean, it's hard to think of a useful gift for someone in a Board & Care facility (beyond the usual hugs, kisses, visits and love). Yesterday, though, she mentioned Lois told her to turn down the TV in her room (@ 11:30 PM), it was too loud for the other residents. It was already turned down as low as she could turn it, and still hear. The place she's in is real nice, like a Bed & Breakfast really.

Anyway, last night I was thinking about it, and decided a pair if wireless headphones might be nice. Aside from decent sound, it must be easy to use, without too much fiddling around (which tires her out REAL fast). I could see the tuning wheel on the earpiece could be a problem if it needs to be constantly adjusted.

I looked at a few reviews, and the Sennheiser RS-120 seems pretty nice at $75 from Amazon.

Any opinions out there?

fini,

If you are asking if I think it is a good idea ...NO its a GREAT idea. I know nothing of the particular devices you listed. But what a thoughtful idea for someone in your mothers situation. She will be able to hear it to her content and her neighbors will be able to be satisfied too. You are obviously a good and caring man.

I do think you should explore false corners or maybe only folding the horn twice so they could stand alone.2.gif

R/Jim

EDIT: Happy B-Day to your Mom too.

----------------

On 3/4/2005 9:34:39 PM fini wrote:

Sennheiser RS-120

----------------

EXCELLENT CHOICE FIN.

Sennheiser's are superb headphones, the best I've listened to. I have owned 3 of them, and can't see myself owning anything else. At the office, I've been using an RF pair everyday for the past 4 years. I have another pair here at home, but they're the hard wire type, and I don't use them anymore.

They also come with a solid warranty. I researched this subject some years back, tried a hella of lot of different headphones, including some in the $300+ range. None could touch the Sennheiser's at half that price.

I have some Sony wireless headphones for our excercise room that have alot of background noise. Yuck. I've been told that the Sennheiser is quite good though and would have been a much better choice than mine. Now they tell me.

There could be some considerations for an elderly person using headphones. Does your mother wear glasses that could cause skin irritation with headphones? Is it important for your mother to hear external sounds such as the telephone or doorbell? More importantly, will she be able to hear a smoke alarm while wearing headphones with the volume up?

In hospitals, don't they use some sort of small personal speaker near the bedside or even by the pillow? Perhaps something like that next to her TV viewing spot could solve the problem and not isolate your mom from important outside sounds. Just some thoughts.

What a COOL gift for her! Such a GOOD SON you are Fini.

I just get this weird vision of an elderly lady with the cans on, dancing about the room to Ozzy or some other 'banger' band! Might be just the ticket.

Sennheiser is a great brand, can't imagine them putting out any junk, although I don't have any personal experience. Wonder if they'd work on my lawnmower?

Michael

----------------

On 3/5/2005 1:57:35 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Sennheiser is a great brand, can't imagine them putting out any junk, although I don't have any personal experience. Wonder if they'd work on my lawnmower?

Michael

----------------

So, you want to be able to hear your lawnmower better while you're, say, brushing your teeth?2.gif

Thanks for the Birthday wishes, Jim, I'll pass those on!

Sputnik, I have the same concerns about the how appropriate closed headphones would be for her, for the reasons you mention. She doesn't wear glasses usually (thanks to Lasix surgery), but she does use hearing aids, and wears an oxygen canula (those over-the-ear tubes to the nose) 24/7, both of which frustrate her quite often. Perhaps I'll take a look at some wireless speakers (running wires could be a problem in her place).

This morning, I've been considering a product called TV Ears, available on Amazon and at Costco online.

Downside is she'd have to remove her hearing aids. Plus side is it receives the same frequency signal as is used in theaters, and is designed to accentuate sound frequencies in the range of the human voice. Only one actual review online (Amazon), but Costco has a great return policy, so it's probably worth a shot.

I'd like her to be able to use these for listening to baseball games as well, so I am considering (for ease of use/set-up) running output from an AM radio into an aux. input into her TV. So, to listen to the game, she'd just tune the TV to, say, Video 2, and she'd have AM radio sound. Seems like the most straight forward plan to me.

----------------

On 3/5/2005 12:05:58 PM fini wrote:

This morning, I've been considering a product called
, available on Amazon and at Costco online.

----------------

Thanks for posting that - I never knew that technology was out there. It looks like a good way to go.

I remember that there were these portable radio type things in the early 80's that you would wear around your neck like a yoke or towel. They had controls and batteries where the ends hung down over your chest and small concealed speakers that would ride on your shoulders right near your ears. All contained in a nicely padded light weight 1x3 inch yoke that was maybe two to three feet long. I remember people in my office using them so that they could listen to music without disturbing anyone. I think they were called "Bone Phones" ("bone phone" now refers to the cellular phones you hold up to your cheek bone or forehead) and maybe they were a Sharper Image product. I think the Walkman eventually obscured these. This sort of configuration using a wireless transmitter would be perfect for seniors. Maybe there is something like that out there or we could get rich inventing one.