Cornwall Veneer Project

Any input that any of you have on the steps to take from this point are appreciated.

The objective is to prepare this cabinet for veneer. I want this center speaker to match the veneer on my other '78 Cornwalls.

1st Night:

So far I've sanded the cabinet w/ both 120 and 220 sandpaper to prepare the cabinet for resin/woodfiller to fill in the gouges, deep scratches and corner chips. Note: most of the corners have been abused pretty bad, so I'll have to square them w/ filler also.

How smooth do I have to have the cabinet prior to veneering? Do I have to have every scratch removed or will the veneer glue do some filling on its own?

Watermarks all over the back.

CWwatermarks.jpg

post-17212-13819262195464_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mitch,

Theres some great 'how to' threads already on the board. SEARCH for refinish, veneeer, zebrawood etc. Jorjen has an excellent thread on a pair.

remember to take your own pix as you go so you can post your own story later.

Best luck and keep on sanding!

What veneer/grill will you be using? No fairsies cheating off me!

Michael

I'm making all-new Cornwall grills (3) w/ new Masonite (1/8"). Got the cloth from DuraCrest (2 yds = $35), got the glue (3M-777 $8.98), the paint (flat black $2.98), and Masonite from Lowes (4'x8' sheet = $5.99) for a total cost of $54. Not bad for 3 CW grilles. Got enough leftover to do another CW grill and then some. My leftover scrap was 16"x72" and 28"x36".

Pix to follow tomorrow!

make sure you check out the 3/16 masonite. there is another thread on here where a member thought the 1/8 is a little on the thin side. i just ordered 7 yds of #17 black grill cloth from Ralph at dura crest and i am awaiting delivery. i am going to make new grills for my verticals. have you thought about making your corns into verticals. i have my motorboard out of my 74 verticals and i plan on making new motor boards to see how they will turn out.

Yes, Budman... I definitely considered it. I can't really say why I didn't go with a Vert other than the amount of work involved. However, the more I think about it, the easier it sounds. From what I've read, getting the old motorboard out and putting a new one in is easy!

Another thing... It's not like I couldn't change my mind later and still do that. For the time being though, I think I'll at least get the veneering part done...and then make the decision on the conversion. Either way, the grill will still fit.

After cutting out the new grills, the suggestion to go thicker is a valid argument. When you get into the area of the bass porting, the amount of Masonite is considerably more vulnerable to breaking. I have a sheet of the 3/16" inch Masonite if I choose to go that route. I would have to research the motorboard's configuration. Would the bass ports (3) be on one of the sides of the Vert, or would you change the motorboard and orientation of those ports to be on the bottom (long edge) respectively?

I'll check the forum to see what others have done.

Thanks for your input.

Mitch

----------------

On 3/8/2005 4:52:20 PM texican58 wrote:

Yes, Budman... I definitely considered it. I can't really say why I didn't go with a Vert other than the amount of work involved. However, the more I think about it, the easier it sounds. From what I've read, getting the old motorboard out and putting a new one in is easy!

Another thing... It's not like I couldn't change my mind later and still do that. For the time being though, I think I'll at least get the veneering part done...and then make the decision on the conversion. Either way, the grill will still fit.

----

Mitch, if you make new motorboards in the vertical position, then

the grills will have to match the motorboard in the vertical position.