Ears: Sunfire Sig, Earthquake MKV-12, or Seismic 12?

mtbiker731

Ears: This is for you buddy...

I have an SVS 20-39 PC+ now. Trying to get it sold for something smaller. I've got RF-35 fronts, RB-25 rears, and a RC-35. Options are Sunfire Sig, Earthquake MKV-12, or a Paradigm Seismic 12. I know you've got at least 2 of those. How do they compare to each other? I need something that digs deep. The SVS has made me a fan of sub-25hz material. I listen to a lot of DVD-Audio and movies, but most of the listening is music. Shout out some direction so I can stop pulling out my hair. Thanks man

MtBiker731

Sorry for trhe late answer(busy building my nitro 1/8th scale buggy Kyosho Inferno Kanai III...LOL)3.gif

I would go NO DOUBT with the Sunfire Signature,its a proven design with GREAT output across the range a subwoofer should cover and will provide year after year of great performance.

Just do not forget to buy mink oil and cover the sourrounds yeach year(to protect the compressed foam sourrounds)this can be also applied to any sub using COMPRESSED FOAM sourround.

1.gif

25Hz output is certainly more noticeable in movies and music. Of two dozen subwoofers rated in order of output/price ratio, the top five subwoofers with the most 25Hz bang for the least bucks are: SVS 20-39 ($599), Dayton Titanic III 15" kit ($688), PSB Subsonic 5i ($449, http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0604/psbsubsonic5i.htm), used Klipsch LF10 ($550), Velodyne CHT-15 ($599) and Atlantic Tech T70.1PBM ($425), with 82.2dB output (louder than a voice, but not really LOUD!)

----------------

On 3/9/2005 11:37:30 AM Colin wrote:

25Hz output is certainly more noticeable in movies and music. Of two dozen subwoofers rated in order of output/price ratio, the top five subwoofers with the most 25Hz bang for the least bucks are: SVS 20-39 ($599), Dayton Titanic III 15" kit ($688), PSB Subsonic 5i ($449,
), used Klipsch LF10 ($550), Velodyne CHT-15 ($599) and Atlantic Tech T70.1PBM ($425), with 82.2dB output (louder than a voice, but not really LOUD!)

----------------

i'm not specifically commenting on ANY of those subs listed. one (or all) of them may really be the cat's meow.

but, once more:

there is a lot more to how a sub performs than it's output at 20 or 25Hz. a lot more.

anyone can make a sub that's cheap and loud at 25Hz. but it may sound like crap otherwise.

----------------

On 3/9/2005 11:37:30 AM Colin wrote:

25Hz output is certainly more noticeable in movies and music. Of two dozen subwoofers rated in order of output/price ratio, the top five subwoofers with the most 25Hz bang for the least bucks are: SVS 20-39 ($599), Dayton Titanic III 15" kit ($688), PSB Subsonic 5i ($449,
), used Klipsch LF10 ($550), Velodyne CHT-15 ($599) and Atlantic Tech T70.1PBM ($425), with 82.2dB output (louder than a voice, but not really LOUD!)

----------------

Was just wondering Colin where I could find a copy of this list?

----------------

On 3/9/2005 12:41:37 PM sivadselim wrote:

anyone can make a sub that's cheap and loud at 25Hz. but it may sound like crap otherwise.

----------------

Really? Can you please point out a subwoofer that has high output at 20 and 25hz but sounds like crap otherwise? And can you please provide evidence as to why it sounds like crap?

It seems to me that if it were so easy to make a cheap sub have high output at 20hz and 25hz, then wouldn't all subwoofers be able to do it?

----------------

Very, very subjective term, "crap." I can't say I've heard a manufactured home sub that is loud at 25 Hz and really sounds all that bad. Perhaps they're out there.

suit yourself.

if all you're looking for in a sub is output at 20 or 25Hz for less $$$, then that's what you'll get if you shop for a sub by the "output/price ratio" method.

apparently i'm not the only one who feels this way. check this very recent post.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=62389&sessionID={EDC641E1-4A60-46F2-A0D5-62B31E86FE05}

Not all subs that are loud at 25 Hz are equal. The KSW-15 cannot hold a candle to the RSW-15. Both are loud at 25 Hz, but the RSW is clearly the better sub. It is less boomy and much more punchy. The RSW is better with music.

The other side of the coin is that the KSW has more bang for the buck. Better bass usually costs a bit (or alot) more.

Bill

In this review:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html

The KSW-15 hit 87dB at 20hz. The RSW-15 hit 93dB at 20hz. That is equal to two KSW-15. The RSW-15 is no doubt the better sub in every way. They are not equally loud down low. And for those of you who would like to pick a fight with me, I have heard both of these subs personally.

Someone here was asking a person in the know about SPECIFIC subs,and you peeps jumped in and started pushing kits!

LOL

If at least you had anything real to contribute,but no always the same crap pushing kits and playing goody two shoes trying to make savings on lesser subs. 11.gif

I'm the first to admit I know relatively nothing about subs. Usually when I know so little about any subject it's my nature to learn as much as I can. I've read quite a bit on this site a few others,...and I've taken up about half an hour of a salesman's time at one of my local hi end HiFi shops in town.

It's so difficult to learn something from someone who makes their living,..selling. No doubt it's an honorable way to make a living, but as with all my HiFi gear I've always tried to get as much bang for my buck, this usually means used equipment.

I really wanted to get a sub for my upstairs system. (my main pride and joy) So, the other day I picked up a Carver/Sunfire original MKII sub. I've always liked Bob Carver's gear in that he's a bit of a renagade and many times delivers higher end sound for less than competitor's products.

I'm going to do a bit more tweaking, but now I do understand the difference between "Boomey" and "Punchy" sub bass sound.

I got a pretty good deal on this sub and at one point in time I may upgrade, but for the moment I'm happy with what I've got. This little sub with it's 2700 watt amp. puts out ajustable bass that one can make "Boomey" in theatre mode and fairly tight bass in the music mode.

I do have much more to learn, but $425.00 was about right to me for what I got.

Regards,

Bill Woodward

• 2 weeks later...

I own a Sunfire Sig and I just sold my Earthquake MKIV-12 to a friend and replaced it with a Earthquake MKV-15.

The Sunfire is a very good sub but the Earthquake is just more effortless and louder (the 15" Earthquake is even more scary good) The friend I sold the Earthquake to wanted to use 2 subs which is always a good idea but after using the single sub for a month he may be changing his mind.

As far as reliability the sunfire sub is now out of warranty and it turns off from time to time. Sunfire charges a flat $250 fee to repair the sub so it is going back. The Earthquake sub developed a rattle after I had it in use for over 4 years and I was only charged $75 for the repair.

They are both great subs and I would just get the one that you could get for less. I think you can actually get a New 12" Earthquake for the same price of a used Sunfire sig.