Separates vs. Receiver with budget. < $1000

Blackmesa

----------------

On 3/7/2005 9:39:43 PM Blackmesa wrote:

I’m not interesting in loads of power (watt) as much as I am features and high quality DAC's

With this budget, should I look for a receiver or look into separates?

----------------

there are more than a few people here that use pioneer elite receivers with klipsch speakers with great success...

in your price range the elite 54txi has many excellent features and is in the third generation of the auto eq/room correction feature which can improve the sound tremendously in many different room situations...

i have the 55txi and i am very pleased with the sound and the processing capabilities...

1.gif

What about digital amps? Theoretically they all sound great and the more money you spend, the more watts you get...I think TBrennan purchased a TEAC 3 channel amp for $150? Two of those and you're all set...which leaves you $1,000 to find a reciever to act as a pre-amp (just make sure it has analog outputs for all the channels).

That is a pretty cool idea, and one I've kicked round myself. B&K Ref30s go for 800 used on eBay and Audiogon if you shop well, and those Teac digital amps are 99 each at Amazon. There's your $1000.

This is not a recommendation as I haven't done this myself. It's an idea.

30 watts per channel on the teac digital amps won't do a whole lot for you if you plan to turn it up at all or use it for home theater purposes....

dynamic music as well as movies with dynamic soundtracks will easily exceed the capabilities of the teac amps.... with my KLF-30's it is easy to hit peaks of 50 to 60 watts in some movies and even easier with classical SACD's...

he would be better off just using the internal amps on a good $1000 receiver - H/K, Denon, Yamaha, or Pioneer Elite.... plus he would get much better processing by investing more money into the receiver....

1.gif

----------------

On 3/8/2005 12:31:44 PM minn_male42 wrote:

30 watts per channel on the teac digital amps won't do a whole lot for you if you plan to turn it up at all or use it for home theater purposes....

dynamic music as well as movies with dynamic soundtracks will easily exceed the capabilities of the teac amps.... with my KLF-30's it is easy to hit peaks of 50 to 60 watts in some movies and even easier with classical SACD's...

he would be better off just using the internal amps on a good $1000 receiver - H/K, Denon, Yamaha, or Pioneer Elite.... plus he would get much better processing by investing more money into the receiver....

1.gif

----------------

Russ, you are so right. I can't add anything to this post!

----------------

On 3/8/2005 7:14:45 AM Blackmesa wrote:

I figured. How you would rate the RSX-1056, I my be able to strech it to 1200 bucks... but I'd really have to like the reciever.

----------------

It looks like you already know,the 1056 is in another leauge as far as music,next choice would be HK.

Or you can do what Im doing and spend as little as possible on a 5.1 reciever for now , then save up for the seperates that you know you will want in the future. One thing I have learned, is your HT is a work in progress , and I will more than likely never stop .

I picked up a yam. RX-V 1400 7.1 770 watt for about $600 a year ago, so Im sure they are a bit less now for a similar model.

That rec. sounds just fine for now with my RFs.