Hey all you 6.1/7.1 people out there

rplace

Construction/painting/finish work is coming to an end and my chairs are on order. Recently I have really been enjoying several movies on my new set up. However I have been playing around with different speaker configurations. Moving from Chorus/Academy/Chorus up front with Forte/Academy/Forte in the rear to C/F/C up front and A/F/A in the rear (thanks for that idea Olorin! 9.gif it is phenomenal). I really like the Forte as a center over the Academy in the front and I dont notice any difference as far as the RS and LS are concerned after moving form Forte down to Academies. I do notice an improvement in the rear center when using the Forte it is more prominent. Not to the point it is out of place or overpowering, but rather I hear it when before I really did not. In all fairness to the original set up it was just calibrated by ear with test tones and the newer set up was done with a SPL meter.

So on with the question. Do any of you know or have feelings that as we see more DVDs with dedicated 6.1 and or 7.1 tracks think the center rear (or what ever the proper term is if you have two) will be like the real center up front? That is do you think it will be the speaker that really makes the difference? I know my perfect scenario would be to have 6 choruses throughout the room, but that probably is not going to happen do to size, cost and availability. I would however like to get 3 chori up front eventually. If that was to happen would it be appropriate to put the remaining chorus in the rear center and move the forte to RS/LS duty or am I reaching the point of diminishing returns and should just stick with the Academies?

Side note: Who has a single or pair of WO chorus they want to sell so I can get that front array all the same? Come on I know you Khorn/Cornwall/LS types got em squirreled away in your basement just incase you need them. If you were to help me out there I could let my Academies go to the Chorus/Forte/Quartet members that cant get these big pigs under or above their TVs.

2nd side note: I am really digging the 6.1 set up no matter what speaker configuration I end up with. Great for speakers as they typically come in sets of two and great for snagging old gear as the amps come in twochannels that is. I am using a Sunfire TGIV driven by three older Carver 2 channel amps each with 240 WPC. No extra single speakers to feel neglected and unloved - no unused amp channels. A win for everybody

Why not just make the jump to 7.1? Is it that you need another mono block amp? That way you could run pairs of everything. I am running two four channel amplifiers 8 X 100W with two subwoofers all big Heritage. I thought you were getting some Khorns right? Did you change your plans and want to go with another pair of Chorus' instead?

The rear center is called the surround back speaker. THX recommends two speakers in back. Several processing modes do not work to full effect without two surround back speakers.

THX Ultra2 processing requires two surround back speakers or it will not play. Dolby ProLogic IIx works better with two speakers in back. Logic 7 is better as well with 7 speakers.

More Fortes would probably be the best route to go. It will be a killer theater. Enjoy!!!

Bill

FRZN, not sure if I have the room for 7.1. That was my original plan but as the room went from cement walls to studs/drywall/carpet/baseboard it shrunk a lot. I also lost a row of seating as my screens AR went from 1.78 to 2.35 (needed to move the front, now only row back about 2 feet). I am so happy I went with the wider screen but that pushed back my seating a bit. I now have a cozy room for 4 with HT seats over a 6 or 8 stadium seat set up I had planned. At any rate I would love to have Khorns, but think that my room with constantly be in flux as I find equipment close to home and wear down the wifey on the need for bigger/better speakers. Those Khorns on ebay would have been great if they worked out due to friends in Toronto and pricebut I guess it was not meant to be. Someday I will have the holy grail of Klipsch speakers but for now I think I need to enjoy what I have as I continue to look for the right combination.

The room has one odd corner where the basement steps come into play (Left Rear when viewing a movie) which makes the back wall not perfectly straight. I also have a set of double French doors on the left wall so RS/LS are not able to be exactly on the sides of the listener. Currently the Academies are on temp stands up high to the side of and rear a bit while the center rear is dead center. I think if I had two in the rear then they would only be about 5 feet apart. If I stick with the Academies for RS/LS then I think I can them suspended from the ceiling with aircraft wire to free up some floor space. If I keep trading up in size that might be hard with Fortes. At any rate it sounds great now, but I keep thinking well maybe just this last change

I really need to get some pix of my current set up and room lay out posted so you all can give me your opinions on things. I really appreciate all of the great advice and ideas I have received here. You guys are the best. My finished room is noting like I originally planned but is has been a fun journey solving all the puzzles and conversing with the forum members back and forth. Thanks a ton everyone!

Thanks for the input MrMcgoo and the correct terms.

Just to be clear are you thinking that 3 or 4 Fortes would be the best way to go in the rear depending if I stick with 6.1 or can squeeze a 7th in and work toward eliminating the Academies all together? Surely given unlimited $$ and unlimited availability I would want to strive for the front three to all be the same, right?

Getting back to the original intent of my post, sorry but I do tend to ramble in all directions once I get going.

If you do not have the luxury of having all the same speakers for surrounds in a 6.1 or 7.1 set up. Which are the more important the RS/LS or the surround back(s). Lets say I miraculously end up with only three choruses and have two Academies and a pair of Forte. Would the optimum set up be Academy/Forte/Forte/Academy in the back or Forte/Academy/Academy/Forte? I do understand that 4 Fortes would be tough to beatIll have to work toward that.

Before I started any of this my gut would have told me that the RS/LS are more important then the surround back until I started listening my 6.1 set up. Now I am starting to think that the SBs are more like the center in the front in that they really anchor the surround part of things.

Any of you really want to test how good the "2 extra surround" back speakers are do this...

Go get out "Finding Nemo"....not the widescreen version, the 4:3 one. Listen and watch the THX demo... where he flies back right back left...center back drops a tool, boom, ouch, then flies to the left front again....

If that does not sell you.. Nothing will! 4 back surrounds are just amazing!!

"Have we figured out yet if it is the Surround Back(s) that are more important then the RS/LS or not assuming you don't have the same speakers all around?"

IME, the sides are more important so I'd put your better pair of speakers there.

Shawn

That is interesting, but since my Khorn's are confined to the rear corners I don't think it would make sense to switch the wiring and make those the BSL & BSR and make the Cornwall II's the RS & LS. For any other speakers it would be easy to redesignate them.