How much do you guys think LaScala with missing woofers are worth?

formica

I have a lead on a relatively local pair of LaScalas with incorrect woofers in the bass bin. These were removed from a pub... so they are in rough flat black paint. I wasn't really in the market, but a single LaScala would make a better centre for my planned heritage HT. I'm just figuring out if these are worth my time...

- Given that the woofers are no-name brand with foam surround, I probably can't recuperate any money for them.

- I'm in Canada so I can't get the K33 drivers from Klipsch but I figure about 250$US + shipping (50$) for a pair?

- Is 800$ a realistic price for a fully functional rough set, or too much?

Bassed on those assumptions... they should sell for about 500$ or less. Just wanted some other opinions... but the deal doesn't look so sweet once you ad those drivers back in. Does anyone want a single LaScala?

Later...

Rob

----------------

On 3/10/2005 2:06:56 AM ricktate wrote:

Why cant you order the K-33 from Klipsch? or have one of us get them and ship them to you? Rick

----------------

Actually we have to pass through the the Canadian distributor... and they seem to charge about double the Klipsch price for parts.

Having a forum member help me out is always an option... even paying two shippings, i'd still be ahead. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what the asking price is.

Rob

Ok, I checked with Bob (129$US/K33)... as well as Klipsch parts (130$US/K33 ground shipping in the US included) and Klipsch Canadian parts distributor Micron Canada (279$CND/K33 = 229$US/K33). Given that I can't order from Klipsch directly... Bob would be a logical choice if I had these LaScala.

The replacement cost is actually very close to what I figured and only confirms the Pub-Scala value being under 500$. I don't think they'll go for that low...

Thanks guys...

Rob

PS: I've already posted my frustration in a previous post on the parts pricing in Canada... it's unfortunate that it's not seen as a service here.

incorrect woofers? meaning they don't work? if they do, somebody else might still like them, that drives up the price, if there are buyers, what i like about Klipsch is that their horns are so big, people don't want them! Yeah! Cheaper for me.

10.gif

----------------

On 3/10/2005 10:55:06 AM Colin wrote:

incorrect woofers? meaning they don't work?

----------------

The woofers got fried... and they installed a pair of cheepie no-name 15" woofers instead. Rather than recone them, they threw the K-33s out.

They work... BUT how well? What were they thinking??

Rob

Rob, if you were to cut the slot wider to 6" vs. the K33E slot of 3" wide, you could then use other horn woofers of 8 Ohms.

In particular the Dayton 15" horn driver at $125 US (in their recent flyer) from Parts Express. This is a REAL GOOD match to the K33E except that it handles more power and is 8 Ohms.

THEY ship to Canada, I'm sure!

Dayton 15" horn driver

DM2.gif

I would pass on them. That finish is not particularly attractive and the cost of new woofers in Canada would make them a pair of ugly but good sounding C$1000.00 or more speakers ( assuming the mids and tweeters are good and if they have been overdriven enough to blow the woofers I wouldn't bet on it ). It takes patience but decent Lascalas can be had for C$1000.00 +/-.

Check your local buy/sell sites/Bargain Finder/Penny Saver and you will eventually find them for a good price and not have the hassle of shipping etc.

FWIW I sit here listening as I type to a pair of 1984 Khorns that I have a total of C$2500.00 invested in ( purchase price,vehicle rental,gas,refinishing etc. )

If you are looking at buying ugly,damaged and abused Lascalas don't pay more than C$400.00 because you can get decent examples for about the cost of ressurecting them and when all is said and done they will still be ugly looking unless you go to the expense of having them veneered in which case they will cost you more than reasonable looking and intact Khorns can be acquired for..........With Patience.

Good stuff on this thread. First, can you live with the cruddy finish? If these are for the basement of garage/barn, fine. If not, you've got to figure in a veneer job.

At best, $500 + 130+130+75 shipping is at about $835 already, add in veneer and some labor and you're at $1000 for a pretty nice set and the satisfaction that you 'did it yourself' (this is always worth something IMHO, especially when salvaging anotherwise pretty ruined pair of Klipsch speakers)

What could you get 'locally' for around $1000? My guess is not much in the way of very good quality LS. Remember, picking up/testing yourself is a great luxury. It's VERY expensive to ship the entire speaker anywhere, you'd have to add hundreds to your cost if the LS were in another province.

So answer the questions honestly and thoughtfully, decide on what you can do and are willing to have as an end result. It's a tricky equation.Best wishes

Michael

----------------

On 3/10/2005 5:03:08 PM D-MAN wrote:

In particular the Dayton 15" horn driver at $125 US (in their recent flyer) from Parts Express. This is a REAL GOOD match to the K33E except that it handles more power and is 8 Ohms.

THEY ship to Canada, I'm sure!

----------------

Would you believe that they are not Canada friendly? They ship all their cross border packages using UPS, which charge astronomical brokerage *cough* extortion *cough* fees. Eminence is readily available here though. For DIY we also have Adire, Solen, etc...

BTW, Bob (BEC) actually would be a good source for K33 here as he is much more familiar with x-border shipping and I can get the real McCoy for about 155$ to my door.

----------------

On 3/10/2005 9:48:00 PM lynnm wrote:

Check your local buy/sell sites/Bargain Finder/Penny Saver and you will eventually find them for a good price and not have the hassle of shipping etc. ... when all is said and done they will still be ugly looking unless you go to the expense of having them veneered

----------------

Actually, that is where these are from... but they aren't as sweet a deal as your Khorns were. I enjoy wood shop projects... but I also have my Khorns I bought that 'd like to convert to "B" models and reveneer... unless I find a pair of original "B" before.

----------------

On 3/10/2005 10:02:48 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

At best, $500 + 130+130+75 shipping is at about $835 already, add in veneer and some labor and you're at $1000 for a pretty nice set and the satisfaction that you 'did it yourself' (this is always worth something IMHO, especially when salvaging anotherwise pretty ruined pair of Klipsch speakers)

It's VERY expensive to ship the entire speaker anywhere, you'd have to add hundreds to your cost if the LS were in another province.

----------------

I know that the only gain, sometimes, is to say you did it yourself. I could veneer all three (2 Khorns a 1 Lascala) in a unusual finish like bird's eye maple... or even simpler like mahogany. I tend to be zeleaous at planning MANY projects for myself... afterall, I still have to build the HT to hold all these.

BTW, I did ship the Khorns from half way across the country (Manitoba) and it cost me just under 200$ for over 300lbs! ;)

In this case, unless the guy will let them go for a song (value of the tweets and mids?), I'll probably pass on them...

Thanks guys...

Rob

----------------

On 3/11/2005 12:50:05 AM formica wrote:

----------------

Would you believe that they are not Canada friendly? They ship all their cross border packages using UPS, which charge astronomical brokerage *cough* extortion *cough* fees. Eminence is readily available here though. For DIY we also have Adire, Solen, etc...

----------------

Why, the greedy Bastages! Yes, BEC would be your best bet.

But, let's not forget that there are some good drivers out there that CAN do the job nicely, too!

P.S., I used car trunk-paint for a utility horn cabinet years ago, grey with spackles, looked pretty cool.

DM2.gif