Cheap DVD Player Reccomnendation - 963 no longer availbale

----------------

On 3/14/2005 1:11:16 AM NOSValves wrote:

Drink a few bears and the listen to it
2.gif
----------------

What in God's name do you think injesting a bear's body fluids would have on ones hearing? 2.gif lol

If that's what it takes for my Philips to sound decent, it's out the door tomorrow!!!! 9.gif

----------------

On 3/14/2005 1:15:35 AM Piranha wrote:

----------------

On 3/14/2005 1:11:16 AM NOSValves wrote:

Drink a few bears and the listen to it
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif">----------------

What in God's name do you think injesting a bear's body fluids would have on ones hearing?
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif"> lol

If that's what it takes for my Philips to sound decent, it's out the door tomorrow!!!!
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif">

----------------

That's exactly what it takes, and because I am feeling generous, I'll take the 963 off of your hands for you!

Chris

Hmmm...nobody's mentioned the Pioneer DVD/DVD-A/SACD player. Maybe too may bears? I can't give you the model at the moment, as I am in Missouri working. Anyway, I got one of them a couple of months back for less than 150.00 delivered, and I am hearing nothing but the music. As some of you know, I do my own location recordings, so I've a pretty good idea what is there and what is not.

Anyway, it certainly is the best bang for the buck I've seen (or heard). Of course, no changer, but I don't care...I can only listen to one at a time anyway.

Dave

Hmmm...nobody's mentioned the Pioneer DVD/DVD-A/SACD player. Maybe too may bears? I can't give you the model at the moment, as I am in Missouri working. Anyway, I got one of them a couple of months back for less than 150.00 delivered, and I am hearing nothing but the music. As some of you know, I do my own location recordings, so I've a pretty good idea what is there and what is not.

Anyway, it certainly is the best bang for the buck I've seen (or heard). Of course, no changer, but I don't care...I can only listen to one at a time anyway.

Dave

Dave,

I think that is the Pioneer model DV 578A. It replaced the DV 563A, the model that I have and like very much, but not as much as the Philips 963 that I just bought.

Yesterday I set them both up on my Cornwall/Yamaha system and did the A/B between the two units. For SACD, the Pioneer DV 563A sounds slightly "thinner" (for lack of a better word), than the Philips 963SA. For a reference SACD I used Steely Dan's Gaucho. This was a very slight difference to my ears, but noticeable in the A/B comparison.

IMO the biggest difference was with CDs. The upsampling Philips was smoother with better imaging than the Pioneer. I also it bettered my Audio Alchemy DAC which is a little bright IMO. The reference CD was Dire Straits Making Movies.

This is not to say the Pioneer is not a decent unit, especially for the price. I talked to a technical guy at Poineer a while back about the difference between the DV 563A and the DV 578A. They have upgraded the video DAC from 10-bit/54MHz to 12-Bit/108MHz, but the audio DAC is the same. They dropped the SRS TruSurround to save on the production costs (who needs this anyway?). So the newer unit should perform as well or better than the older unit, which is very good for the meager price it sells for.

E-mail me sometime and come over for a listen (I might even have a few "bears" in the fridge to make things sound even better!9.gif).

Give me a little time and I'll have that capacitor mod done on the 963 that everyone is recommending.

David

Thanks, Seadog, always ready to listen and learn. I find myself more and more tolerant of small differences in equipment and more and more intolerant of inaccurate source material. Most equipment differences I hear as such, and interpolate accordingly. I suppose that is the only reason we can put up with car radios and still enjoy Bach! Glad to hear you think the Pioneer is a good value. I don't know of anything else that does all audio digital media at the price, and does it quite well. What are the prices of the other units you like better?

It may be a while before I can do a session in DFW as I am stuck with this Army project through July, but keep me informed.

Dave