The New Turntable

No Disc

Upgraded from the VPI Scout to the Scoutmaster with Ring Clamp and Stainless Steel center clamp. Big upgrade over the Scout. Improvement in all areas. Most notable are more authoritative presentation, lower noise floor, more soundstage - huge in fact, very defined instruments, huge slam factor. I'm in analog heaven.

No Disc

scoutmaster.jpg

post-8495-13819262291674_thumb.jpg

Rick,

I think your table is better looking than the Scoutmaster, very sexy indeed. I honestly didn't consider any other tables before making my move. I like the Scout and already knew my cartridge mated well with my tonearm and phono preamp. It was a no-brainer for me.

No Disc

----------------

On 3/11/2005 7:44:26 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Nice!
3.gif
Very nice!!
3.gif3.gif

Did the
11.gif
make you do it?
12.gif

The Scoutmaster is what I was looking at before I went for that sexy Italian.

Rick

----------------

ah, Jordan my friend, it is looking very nice indeed. Let's see: nice wife, good son, BB, VRD's, scoutmaster, and Khorns......it just don't get much better than that........................unless, of course, a guy was lucky enough to get some CW's in Cherry2.gif2.gif Best Regards, Patrick

Jordan,

Good stuff but are you running those VRD's in the cabinet with the BB above them ? Your going to burn that stuff up they all need some breathing room. In fact the VRD's shouldn't be stacked one above the other. Man I bet it gets a 150 degrees in there in no time maybe more?

Craig

Hey Patrick, how the heck are ya? I'll pass your comments along to Debbie and John.1.gif

Craig,

Don't worry my friend, the cabinet back is removed, the door is always wide open when playing and I have fans blowing accross the VRD's. The supplies and tubes don't even get that hot. Geez, do you really think I would do that to your babies? 2.gif

Jordan,

I considered the Ginko platform but elected not to go that route. Ultimately I felt the biggest sonic benifit could be gained from isolating the motor from the table itself, something I didn't think would be easy to do with the Ginko setup.

With my setup the motor is isolated from the table and plinth while at the same time being de-coupled from external vibrations.

Below is a picture of what I did with my Scout before I sold it. I have a similar setup for the Scoutmaster. Note the motor does not rest on the same surface as the table. Motor vibration is removed from the sonic mix so the background sound is much blacker and more music can be heard. This was a huge tweak. Motor isolation is what I feel sets apart the Super ScoutMaster and HRX from the lower tables.

Vibrapods separate the two wood sheets which provides the decoupling of the table from external sources and also decoupling the motor from the table. Works very well.

No Disc

scoutiso.jpg

post-8495-13819262295304_thumb.jpg

No Disc,

Excellent idea, I cannot believe I did not consider that! Brain Fart I guess2.gif.

I think I have already come up with a way to isolate the motor by using a metal/steel "U" shape motor mounting bracket/platform approx. 5-6 inches in width. The bottom of the bracket will fasten to the top of the cabinet between the bottom of the Gingko and the top of the cabinet. The bracket/mount will then bend up(at a 90 upwards)the side of the Gingko and when it reaches the top of the platform it will bend in towards the center of the table(at a 90 inwards)and slip in between the top of the Gingko and motor feet. A slight gap will exist between the underside of the bracket and the top of the Gingko thus isolating the motor. I am going to get on it right away. I will post pics when it is complete.

Thanks for the heads up!