Turning a page...

...ok. I was peeking at this thread from around the corner.

Jim: You should see the AVVT meshplates I used to have on the Moth! They still the show for looks and glowing in the dark. Seductive orange lanterns that not only look good, but sound beautiful. With the Horus amps, that tube was outstanding. I've sent them off to another forum member to wring the last notes out of them, but they should be good for a littl while longer. You must believe that I am not abandoning tubes, and I didn't mean to make you feel unhappy about your system -- which I hope was not the case.

I just find I can't grow and learn if I don't challenge my own thinking and understanding of things. I tend to feel uneasy if I just sit, although I constantly want to be able to have 'arrived.' I am listening to some Chopin piano nocturnes right now that are just wonderful, liquid, and very clear. I may be wrong, but I sense this tiny amp in a plastic box is smoothing out, or something. It sounds even better today.

Shawn: Yes, I got that gain-clone information.

Have a good afternoon, time to go finish making curry and gluten-free bread!

...and listen to this funny little amp some more!

Erik

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother Tom and I did a Google search on the Sonic Impact 5066...not a single one available for sale except for a few on eBay (and they're charging over $50 for 'em BIN). All other online retailers are either sold out or have them on backorder; one dealer will sell one for as little as $14.99 I think.

Every review we read on the little plastic 5066 was positive; all stated that this little T-amp with the Tripath chip sounds absolutely fantastic once it's broken in after several hours. All reviews say they sound as good as some of the best SS and SET amps today (if not better)...There wasn't a negative thing to say about the sonic qualities of this lil' digital amp. The reviewers did criticize it's cheap plastic housing, it's lousy spring type terminals, no RCA jacks (only 1/4" phono for iPods, etc.), and it's no-frills volume knob. There are even extensive mods that can be done (both eletrically and aesthetically), although once the plastic cabinet is chucked away in favor of a new aluminum chassis with silver wiring, Cardas RCAs and 3-way binding posts, an Alps potentiometer, etc...Well, it can now be had for as little as $250, and upwards of $800 an more!

I guess since the T-amp gets such wonderful ratings from every critic out there, to Erik praising it's sonics characteristics, I suppose I was a lil' harsh on accepting this mighty-mite. Even Tom is considering buying one just for the fun of it from either Amazon.com, PartsExpress.com, or any other online source who carry them (once they're back on stock).

----------------

On 3/14/2005 1:07:07 AM jt1stcav wrote:

Every review we read on the little plastic 5066 was positive; all stated that this little T-amp with the Tripath chip sounds absolutely fantastic once it's broken in after several hours. All reviews say they sound as good as some of the best SS and SET amps today (if not better)...There wasn't a negative thing to say about the sonic qualities of this lil' digital amp. The reviewers did criticize it's cheap plastic housing, it's lousy spring type terminals, no RCA jacks (only 1/4" phono for iPods, etc.), and it's no-frills volume knob. There are even extensive mods that can be done (both eletrically and aesthetically), although once the plastic cabinet is chucked away in favor of a new aluminum chassis with silver wiring, Cardas RCAs and 3-way binding posts, an Alps potentiometer, etc...Well, it can now be had for as little as $250, and upwards of $800 an more!

**I bought mine off eBay for a little over 30, 40 with shipping. I had the Wal-wart, chassis, and stepped attenuator on hand already. And I spent maybe 15 bucks in parts. I'm not much over 60 bucks.

It ain't all that pretty looking, but enough considering the circuit and parts involved. Cardas jacks and silver wire is just dumb considering it's just a cheap portable battery powered amp.

I guess since the T-amp gets such wonderful ratings from every critic out there, to Erik praising it's sonics characteristics, I suppose I was a lil' harsh on accepting this mighty-mite. Even Tom is considering buying one just for the fun of it from either Amazon.com, PartsExpress.com, or any other online source who carry them (once they're back on stock).

**I think some are kinda generalizing all these little low watt SS amplifiers as Digital.

Then one Erik is talking about more than likely uses a power operational amplifier for the output transistors.

The 47 labs gaincard and all the DIY clones are based on these seven or eight pin inline power op-amps.

These Sonic Impact amplifiers use a 36 pin integrated circuit as the amplifier, or most of it.

They claim digital, but it's just a form of class D that switches at a pretty high rate above audio band, and then a LC filter brings the signals back down to audio band on the outside of the chip.

That's why I just call them chip-amps, probably the wrong term.....

I'm ready to sample my Mitsubishi receiver against my SI amp.

• 2 months later...

----------------

On 3/12/2005 5:53:27 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Oh, what a sad day indeed when the mighty Horus/Moondog monoblocks are regulated to surround duty, being replaced by a $25 plastic box with (horror) transistors inside!
6.gif
----------------

Very well said, Jim.

I missed this thread the first time around. Was there any follow-up, Erik?

----------------

On 5/20/2005 7:50:08 AM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 3/12/2005 5:53:27 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Oh, what a sad day indeed when the mighty Horus/Moondog monoblocks are regulated to surround duty, being replaced by a $25 plastic box with (horror) transistors inside!
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/6.gif"> ----------------

Very well said, Jim.

I missed this thread the first time around. Was there any follow-up, Erik?

----------------

I thought relegated had something to do with a power supply.

Cod:

Well, I must admit that switching from a pair of amps for which I had to take out a loan from school district credit union in order to buy -- to a little stereo chip amp that cost $25 may sound shocking. I will say that it was remarkably good for that small price, and could keep pace in a number of important ways with the considerably higher-priced tube amps. I truly don't mean this to sound sarcastic, because it is actually something I have been obliged to think about recently -- that there is the possibility that a musical signal does not know the cost of the components it travels through. The music machine industry 'cultivates' certain frames of mind and beliefs, one of which (I think) is that good sound must always be associated with high cost; which I will not argue is not sometimes the case. It absolutely can be, but not necessarily always. I'm not using that little chip amp in our main system, but am in the one in my workroom. However, it led me to take a chance with another amp that, given it's power output and the fact that it has three channels, is a much better bargain by far than the $25 transistor amplifier. This is the lightweight, sub $100 Teac digital amplifier.

Please see the post on headphones where I addressed this more fully.

Erik