A question about mono

Deang

I was wondering why the upper high frequencies dip down when using a mono switch on a preamp. If it weren't for that, mono listening would be killer. Actually it's killer anyways, if anyone knows what I'm talking about here and can explain why I think so -- I would appreciate it. I'm talking about one speaker, not two. There's something really different going on with the sound, and I can't figure it out.

I understand what you're saying Dean, use MONO with only one speaker, but which ear do you use?

I remember an old quote from Claude Nobs, engineer and purveyour of the Montreaux Jazz Festival 'if God wanted us to listen to quad, he'd have given us 4 ears'. WOnder what he thinks of 5.1 and SACD?

Michael

Also, keep in mind the fact that there will be phase cancellations occuring here. They will naturally have to forfeit their deposits, but what can one do?

Any signals that are out of phase when comparing opposite channels in the original stereo mix will cancel each other to some degree. You'll see more of this in the upper frequencies, generally.

This is a big reason why recording engineers should check there work in mono regularly. Closely similar tonal balance between stereo and mono indicates good relative phase. It's especially important when recording with multiple mics in close proximity to each other. such as drum kit micing.

I thought the difference in HF was due to cancellation of noise and distortion that added artificial highs. I generally notice it during poor FM reception. I never noticed a difference in highs between stereo and mono with my old Yamaha CA-800 if the source was a CD player. That was the last amp I had that had a mono switch.