Members Weekly Music Recommendations-March-14

thebes

Guess I'm going to have to dig out my copy of "Classic Heep". I always got a kick out of seeing Uriah Heep on some of the '70s concert shows like "Midnight Special" and "In Concert". As to what I have been listening to this week:

Crosby, Stills & Nash: "Greatest Hits", Cd, Classic Rock

They did a very good remastering job on this. The vocals are excellent and it seems that the drum sounds are more detailed. Only complaint is that I'll need to pick up "Neil Young's Greatest Hits" cd and a remastered version of "Deja Vu". C,S&N GH does not have "Helpless" nor "Almost Cut My Hair" nor "Everybody I Love You" on it. This could have easily been a two cd set.

I was on vacation much of last week in Columbia, South Carolina, so I didn't get to really listen to music that much. I did hear something resembling music coming out of my car stereo and various contraptions in some stores, but it was all very flat and unsatisfying. I'm addicted to good sound now, and I really missed my stereo while I was gone!

I did go to one of my all time favorite haunts, Papa Jazz in Columbia, SC (Five Points). I picked up some CD's by Bela Fleck (Strength in Numbers: Telluride Sessions, and Tales from the Acoustic Planet, 1994) and one disc from the distribution group I was gushing about in some other thread, Putumayo (www.putumayo.com), Blues Lounge.

Now, this Putumayo release was bought on faith since all their discs have been great. It, too, is GREAT. Very trippy urban music with an awesome soundstage. Like all of their other discs, it is a compilation around a theme. This features the work of:

* Little Axe

* Tangle Eye

* Organic Grooves

* Moby

* Mo' Horizons

* Boozoo Bajou featuring Wayne Martin

* Gare Du Nord

* Johnny Farmer

I had never heard of any of those guys, but it's all good!

Bela Fleck does NOT disappoint with his unique acoustic approach. Anything with his name on it is wonderful to my ears.

Thanks to Mark1101 who gave me a Klipsch 'fix' on my way back to Kentucky. He graciously invited us (me and the kid) into his home so I could hear his LaScalas and vertical Cornwalls. Very nice. Mark and I hung out around the LaScalas with the various discs I brought (and his wonderful Grateful Dead collection), beer and Pizza, and my kid went down to his basement with his Hip Hop music and defiled the Cornwalls there. 3.gif

Neither of us could hear the other, and it was lovely. Everyone was happy.

I asked Papa Jazz's owner to recommend a CD, and he suggested Chris Potter: Gratitude. I've yet to listen to that one. It'll probably make the report next week.

Forrest

----------------

On 3/20/2005 5:12:36 PM synthfreek wrote:

Forrest, you've never even HEARD of Moby? If you like the stuff on that comp you should check out the whole album by Boozoo Bajou and their album/collection of some of their favorite tracks for late-night listening. It's titled Juke Joint.

----------------

Synth,

No, there's SO much that I don't know. 15.gif

I've made it a point to buy 1 or 2 recordings each month that I've never heard of, but which has been recommended.

Juke Joint is now on next month's budget. 1.gif

I'm still diggin' the Steve Roach suggestion "Structures from Silence" that you suggested a while back. It is, by far, the best meditation background I've ever experienced.

ciao,

Forrest

Mmmmm...

Started w/ the Allman Brothers Band, 2nd Set on CD, recorded live in Raleigh, NC, Holmdel, NJ and LA. Nuff said.

Then on to Pat Benatar, GO. Yep, she's still around and better that ever. Studio version and excellent.

Finished up w/ some local boys called Parmalee. From NC. Think 3 Doors Down on steroids. Two brothers whose Dad is a partime blues singer. Available at BB. Please check it out. If you like R & R, you won't be disappointed. Help out some new musicians, please.

This also was on CD since my new SACD is on the fritz. Use caution with the tray on the Pioneer DV-578As.