Members Weekly Music Recommendations-March-14

thebes

Well Spring seems to be finally on it way, and what do our thoughts turn to in Spring, why music naturally.

Format's simple, name of aritist/group, name of album, typo of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Lou Reed, "New York", cd, rock

I've been a fan of his for many a year and I love this cd. A blisteringly caustic send up what New York City had become during the height of the crack epedemic. Awesome lyrics, some blistering riffs and Reed's trademark voice. One of the things I really like about him is that well you can sense that he has the vocal power, he never over emotes or wanders off into rock guitar god land. He is very much like Peggy Lee in that respect, strong voices that realize the key to their music relies in tone and pacing, not shouting.

So what do you have to share this week?

Alright dudes, here are my latest recommendations for this week:

Mogwai's "Young Team" - progressive intrumental rock CD.

AFI's "Sing the Sorrow" - radio-friendly/pop punkrock CD.

Arcade Fire's "Funeral" - progressive post-punkrock LP.

RJD2's "Dead Ringer" and "Since We Last Spoke" - hiphop/DJ instrumental CD.

Also, for anyone who is interested in the postpunk genre, TrustCompany and Bloc Party's new albums are out this month, on the 22nd. They've already been favorably reviewed. Check it ooooooooout. Peace.

Now that I'm sporting my new Klipsch t-shirt, I guess I better come up with something good.

How about my favorite Sinatra album? If you like to swing baby, "It Might As Well Be Swing" with Frank singing along to Count Basie and his band. Includes some great tunes like "Hello Dolly" and "Fly Me To The Moon." They don't make em like that anymore.

For something on the jazz side, "Curtis Fuller and Hampton Hawes With French Horns." I just got this LP today and man o' man is it good. Fuller on trombone, Hawes on piano, throw in a sax and 2 french horns and kick back. What a record! Mono too!10.gif

Underworld, by the band Adagio. Here is some incredible sounding symphonic power metal. Be sure to check out the title track on this album - a thirteen minute magnum opus with some truly breath-taking sounding orchestral pieces along with some awesome guitar work and vocals. This album has some truly epic sounding tracks on here as a whole.

I've never even heard of this band until I bought this album off of one of those digital download sites (I am getting tired of waiting for the CD's to arrive in the mail - none of the local record stores carry anything like this). It actually still sounds pretty good, despite being compressed digital. Still may try to get a hold of the CD itself (although, it'll cost as I can only seem to find it via import).

This album, along with the whole symphonic power/prog metal, is just so much more interesting, and engaging to listen to, instead of the typical top-40 crap heard on the local FM radio. How many more friggan "Blink-182 copy-cat" bands do we need anymore?

"Greendale" by Neil Young. Three-piece garage-band rock.

Pre-grunge, pre-punk, pre-lost-in-the-sweetness-of-CSNY, Neil Young could and still can rock. Tempos are a bit redundant, at first listen but the music grows on you.

I have the DVD-A, which is nice, since the on-screen lyrics tell great stories. But this is also music to just rock with, dance to or move you to some fine air-guitar work. The story-line and all the alleged references to Young's life are fine for those who want to get into that sort of stuff, but it is not required for enjoyment.

For DVD-A fans, this is not a demo for your system. The music is front and center -- just what a trio of top musicians should be. I did have to adjust the bass down a hair -- it was a bit overpowering.

Classic Heep--Anthology of Uriah Heep--

2 CDs of 70's British hard rock boogie that I have come back to listen to alot lately. They were apparently one of the inspirations for "Spinal Tap" with their dramatic arrangments and overblown prog leanings, but I really like every song! They really went for it in their heyday, trying alot of styles to make their music melodic and distinctive. And you have to laugh at some of the theatric screams of David Byron. Mainly, I like that it has all the elements of classic rock without having been played to death and dearth on the Classic Rock stations.

Thanks thereugo,

I dug out my old Heep this am and it's just a single CD, so I'm missing a lot of the good ones. Mine is Mercury 1976 822476-2 and is still a treasury of some great songs. There is a great chart chronicalling (sp) the whereabouts of each band member b4 and after Heep. Have nearly the whole collection on LP. The double live is incredible, they even do some cover numbers on it, kind of like the Dream Theatre releases.

Loved Heep's arrangments, with the B3 organ and dueling guitars. Every song was like a spell being woven. They also has some 'concept-type' albums with Demons and Wizards (wish I had Magician's Birthday on my CD) I shared Byrons bad vocals and hair in my garage band days, so always had an affinity for the boys. If you haven't heard them, I'd place it between the art rock of Yes and heavy rock of Deep Purple.

RIP bassist Gary Thain, electrocuted on stage I believe. He was the inspiration for SPinal Taps series of misfortunate drummers. UK had 4 drummers during 70-71 including Elton John's Nigel Olsen.

You win the big prize if you can tell the source of the band's name.

Michael

Question: What is the origin of the band's name?

Answer: With the arrival of Ken Hensley in Spice in 1969, Gerry Bron thought it would be a good idea to change the name of the band. 1969 was the centenary of the author Charles Dickens' death and his works were being heavily pushed. It was Gerry Bron who suggested the name of the obsequious clerk Uriah Heep from Dickens' novel, "David Copperfield".

edit....looks like I was still typing when someone submitted the short answer, lol!

good job on the UH lads. tell em what they've won Thebes ! LOL

Now I must rummage through my LP's to see if I have any of this Dexter Gordon guy. GAWD, look at that lineup on the board of that bw photo of Allan's! What a club that must've been! I'd wash dishes to hear those combos.

Michael

skonopa:

i thought I was the only person on this forum that

has heard of the french band ADAGIO !

My vote is for their debut release titled "Sanctus Ignis".

Stephan Forté on guitar and Richard Andersson on the keys.

What a matchup.

But my favorite member is their ex-lead singer David Readman .

Too bad his manager intervened and got him kicked out of the band.

They just played the USA last September in Atlanta , at Prog-Power IV !!!

Some Heep fans out of the woodwork! You've got to get Classic Heep. The re-mastering is beautifully done--so many of their studio cuts almost sound live and very crisp. Its all from their heyday in the 70's, so there are only a few songs after "Stealin". I'm sure that Gary Thain OD'd on smack--too bad, cause he was probably the most musical player of Heep. His thumping bass drove so many of their songs. He made their crunch so much louder--

Demons and Wizards is a great album by them, also - you hear most of it on this set--

Jimmy Page and Black Crowes,Live at the Greek on dvd-2ch,rock...you bet your ars.I bought the cd some years back and really did not understand why they did'nt do a dvd.Well lucky for me somebody did,and a decent job of it after the first minute or two.This show took me back to the day when long hair(not the "pretty" kind) and heavy rock ruled,even though its only about 5 years old.Jimmy more than pulled his weight with some great classic Zepp tunes done very well.The Crowes of course also gave a 1st rate performance and show their admiration for Zeppelin.The show has a power that does not come across in the cd,I almost felt like I was there in the crowd.Lots of Les Pauls screamin',just the way I like it.

----------------

On 3/16/2005 7:13:00 PM Born2RockU wrote:

skonopa:

i thought I was the only person on this forum that

has heard of the french band
ADAGIO !

My vote is for their debut release titled "
Sanctus Ignis
".

Stephan Forté
on guitar and
Richard Andersson
on the keys.

What a matchup.

But my favorite member is their ex-lead singer
David Readman

Too bad his manager intervened and got him kicked out of the band.

----------------

Oh yeah, I've listened to Sanctus Ignis myself, and it is indeed awesome. Unfortunatly, right now, I only have a crappy 128kbps MP3 version. I'll go and get the CD shipped to me, as I do wnat a good quality version.

Also to add: You better believe I plan on bringing this and Underworld to the Klipsch Pilgrimage. I'd love to hear this on a pair of K-horns (although it does sound friggan awesome on my RF-7s and B&K amp).

But yeah, that is indeed some excellent music. Along those lines, Rhapsody's Symphony of Enchanted Lands, both 1 and 2, are friggan incredible as well. And of course, don't forget Therion (at least thier albums from Theli and later) and Nightwish. Also, Symphony X (if you like Adagio, be sure to check out Symphony X).

----------------

They just
played the USA
last September in Atlanta , at Prog-Power IV !!!

----------------

And guess what goes on sale April 2 and 10 AM. I am going to try to score a ticket to this years ProgPower festival. Friggan Stratovariusj is playing live there! I have every friggan single one of thier albums, and I so wanted to see these guys live! Thier first ever North American appearance! Yup, I'll be camping at my PC come that morning with the Ticket Bastard website up! 9.gif

As you can guess by now, I am a die-hard fan of of power/prog metal, especially the symphonic variety, ala Stratovarious, Rhapsody, Nightwish, and Adagio. Some truly incredible, and engaging music there. And it seems like my RF-7s were made for this! 10.gif

----------------

On 3/16/2005 10:07:13 PM Fish wrote:

Jimmy Page and Black Crowes,Live at the Greek on dvd-2ch,rock...you bet your ars.I bought the cd some years back and really did not understand why they did'nt do a dvd.Well lucky for me somebody did,and a decent job of it after the first minute or two.This show took me back to the day when long hair(not the "pretty" kind) and heavy rock ruled,even though its only about 5 years old.Jimmy more than pulled his weight with some great classic Zepp tunes done very well.The Crowes of course also gave a 1st rate performance and show their admiration for Zeppelin.The show has a power that does not come across in the cd,I almost felt like I was there in the crowd.Lots of Les Pauls screamin',just the way I like it.

----------------

Mr. Fish--

I got tired of the CD set very quick--not one version of the LZ songs did justice to the original nor elaborated/enhanced them, and the sound was flat and thin. You say the DVD is much better? Is it of the same show?

Re Jimmy & Crowes @ Greek,

I thought the guys were an admirable backup band, but Chris' vocals were no match for Percy. It probably looks better in vid than it sounded on CD. SO I basically agree with the previousl posts.

Had great tix to the show in Indy, which was cxld when Mssr Page fell on stage and injured his back, forcing cancellation of rest of tour. Thank goodness we have this archival bit to listen to.

Michael