Klipsch Sneaky Specs?

pauln

How come the Heritage Owner's Manual now calls the old familiar specification "Frequency Response" by the new word "Bandwidth"? The spec says Bandwidth plus or minus 3 db and then the range. Since bandwidth already means the half power points (-3db), to add the plus or minus 3db actually literaly translates to -6db. The plus 3db is canceled out because if it was, you would not be at the frequency that is -3db from which the definition of bandwidth derives. The already -3 is summed to go down another 3db - but this also violates the definition of bandwidth! Who let this gaff get published? Are the sales people trying to pretend to be engineers?

Peace be with you! You are getting worked up over a non-issue. Specmanship-Klipsch's or anyone elses- being what it is, the half-power points at each end of the listed "bandwidth" are specified conservativly as the "effective" limits. Especially on the bass end-with room reinforcement-these can be bettered to some extent. In every credible independant test report I've seen, Klipsch Heritage equipment meets, and usually exceeds, its specifications for bandwidth, efficency and distortion.

The "tolerance" that is, the plus or minus X dB, is less important than the overall smoothness of response. The human ear fills in most narrow "valleys" in response but finds peaks harder to deal with. Roughness in the upper midrange is more objectionable than ripples in the bass response, most of which will be swamped out by room effects anyway.

Paul Klipsch was much more concerned with distortion, and particulary modulation or FM distortion, than he was with "mere smoothness". The classic acoustic suspension units-like the high-end ARs-achieved very smooth response curves by choking the dynamic range, and therefore all the life, out of their music.

Yeah, but how do they sound? 9.gif

I'm thinking this could be the start of some industry standard measurement parameters, as if such a thing could ever exist, with companies such as bowz, searching out loopholes to smear the truth. 16.gif

If I'm not mistaken, at one time -6dB, was a standard for many speaker companies.

Jacksonbart, I am not my avatar - its only a picture of a girl. I like the picture. It is pleasantly distracting.

Actually the picture is a digital representation of a picture.

If you think about it, your veiw of the digital representation comprises the photon wave front emmitted from the digital representation to your eyes.

Now that I think about it I know that what I infer to be an image from the photon wave front is only a mental image perceived by me alone.

Reallity - what a concept. Consciousness - I'd like to know how that's possible, I don't get it either.

Anyone as old as i am recall similar dire thoughts when cycles per second - CPS - was changed to Herz?

If Klipsch wanted to play sneaky specs, they could not publish any or they could use different standards or convert to inches.

After all of this time in business, do you really think they need to play games?

dodger

Specs can be useful, but they can also be misleading. A speaker with flat response all the way up to 20khz could sound pretty bad I think unless it was in a fairly large, absorptive room and the listening position was a good distance away. Or, unless it was being run with gear that had a nice treble roll off.

Don't take me too seriously. I am in a funny mood - I ceased beleiving in audio specs last Friday afternoon - the minute I began to play my brand new just made and delivered La Scalas. They are huge, piano black, and sound better than I wished they ever might through my Wright phono/pre and 2A3 monoblocks.

I was just thrown by the new name spec - I guess its still better than if they stated that the LS' Modulo Octaves = 8, or its inverse complementary Q was...

Paul

Not only that, but

I never had a problem with micro-farads or micro-micro-farads, cycles-per-second, etc; nor with drivers, horns (as opposed to lens)!

Still don't know how to read the new way of specifying ohms (like what does 2K2 mean????????????????????).

Don't know why the industry constantly needs to change it's language. It causes reading old books a pleasure because you don't have to analyze the language as you read.