DTS

This may be a stupid question, but i'll never know the answer unless I ask.

If my DVD player decodes DTS and my reciever decodes DTS. How to I bypass the DTS in the DVD player and decode with the reciever? I have gotten movies with DTS to play by switching some things in the menu of the DVD player, and send the signal with a digital out from the DVD player. I just think the reciever has better DAC's then the DVD player.

Thanks

----------------

On 3/18/2005 8:22:35 AM marksdad wrote:

if you are using digital inputs the dvd player will do the decoding, but if you use the multichannel inputs the receiver will do the decoding

----------------

Let's re-phrase that. If you are using the 6 channel inputs on your receiver then the DVD player is decoding the signal. Correct?

----------------

On 3/18/2005 8:32:58 AM gcoker wrote:

Let's re-phrase that. If you are using the 6 channel inputs on your receiver then the DVD player is decoding the signal. Correct?

----------------

Yes, correct. If you are using the 6-channel outputs from a DVD player, then the DVD player is doing the decoding. If you use the digital output on the DVD player then the receive will need to do the decoding.

"I have a DVD player with multichannel outputs (I have only used it for SACD and DVD-A). Is it better to used the multichannel input on my receiver and let the DVD player do the DTS work or stick with my fiber optic connection and let my receiver to the work?"

It depends on which component has better DACs/Bass Management/srround processing options. Usually that is your receiver, especially for bass management and speaker distances, etc, so if that is the case go digital out from your DVD player to your receiver. That said you may still need/want 6 channel anaolg connections in to your receiver (the DVD is doing the processing) for SACDs. Very few digital connections handle SACDs and fewer receivers have the decoder.

----------------

On 3/18/2005 3:13:23 PM bvbull200 wrote:

I have a DVD player with multichannel outputs (I have only used it for SACD and DVD-A). Is it better to used the multichannel input on my receiver and let the DVD player do the DTS work or stick with my fiber optic connection and let my receiver to the work?

----------------

I don't think that SACD will travel over the optical connection. On mine, I have to send it to the receiver over the analog RCA connections. I have both type of connections going from the DVD (SACD) player to the receiver. Toslink for movies and RCA for SACD.