Teac AL700P (Tripath) Impressions

Erukian

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If people seem so worried about clean power, especially with T-Amps, you have to wonder why they don't just invest in a line conditioner. Are there bad side-effects to it? it seems like it can only do good even if your power is relatively clean.

-Joe

Looks like I am gonna have to buy this thing on the net. They only sell the unit bundled with the DR-L700 front end DVD player here - for 1,044 Euros retail!! (about $1500).

At that price this is not in the toy category!!

Typcial - and my tube amp has started buzzing for some reason - would have been an ideal opportunity.

After listening with the Teac almost all day yesterday, I am still very impressed by the complete absence of power supply noise. With all components on, including the Lexicon and Denon, there is absolutely no indication that everything is on -- it seems inert, 'off.' The only indication of energized electronic life is the quiet, clean hiss from the three tweeters (left, center, and right channels).

I guess an IEC connector might be handy, but I'm not really that particular about things like power cords. Even the stock interconnects worked totally satisfactorily. They just don't make the same kind of visual statement as would something from Cardas (that comes with a two page, impressively technical sounding description).

Shawn: I have just been using it with all three gain controls turned all the way up. It might be necessary to replace the pot with the same value resistor, but I just don't know how this is setup. Actually, I don't even know how the Tripath chips work! I'm going to do some research on that.

Honestly, 10 years ago I would never have done this. Replace my heavy tube amps with this light weight, inexpensive, Kleenex-box-sized thing from Teac!? 2.gif

Erik

Joe,

"If people seem so worried about clean power, especially with T-Amps, you have to wonder why they don't just invest in a line conditioner. "

Because if the noise is coming from the PS in an amplifier (they all convert the AC to DC but sometimes AC gets through) a conditioner won't help.

Shawn

----------------

On 3/21/2005 2:52:41 AM maxg wrote:

Looks like I am gonna have to buy this thing on the net. They only sell the unit bundled with the DR-L700 front end DVD player here - for 1,044 Euros retail!! (about $1500).

At that price this is not in the toy category!!

Typcial - and my tube amp has started buzzing for some reason - would have been an ideal opportunity.

----------------

Max,

That's interesting that the unit(s) are only sold bundled. I was so pleased with the add-on, I've wondered about the front end DVD receiver. It's stereo rated at 50 wpc with the surrounds, of course, at 30 wpc.

I'm assuming the bundled unit would resolve power issues, but let me know, it want the North American version. Would be glad to ship it to you.

Thanks, Shawn: I found one of those sites today, and will check the others you have included. It's been fun to read about this, and I am curious about the specific chip used by Teac.

Dee: Thanks so much once again for sending us this great amplifier. Both of you have been helpful in making our system sound, to us, better than it ever has!

Erik

Klipschfoot,

It was taken at my 37th birthday party - I was blowing out the candles on my cake whilst someone made a wise-crack about needing more puff for such a large number of candles.

Obviously I cut out the head shot only for my avatar...if I dig around I might be able to find the whole picture.

In case anyone cares I just briefly ran a couple of more max power tests on another Teac. I literally took this one out of the box and hooked it up for these tests.

Just watching it on the scope and the spectrum analyzer to ballpark clipping with a 100hz test tone..

1ch = 34.4w

2ch = 34w

3 ch = 32.8w

I'll do more later on to watch the PS voltage to the amp cards when running powered like this. From the minimal power drop though with three channels running it doesn't seem like the PS is sagging much under load. One thing that was sort of interesting was as it was on the verge of clipping with three channels it appeared to have more noise pop up in its output. It wasn't harmonics of the test signal just a fair amount of noise at various frequencies.

Shawn

Shawn,

So your saying that this baby has nice clean symmetrical sine waves to 34 watts into a 8 ohm load? What is a THD at 34 watts? This is what I've waiting to hear some solid data on these. How about the 20Hz to 20 KHz Square waves give us some shots.

I did a quick search of Amazon and all I can find is $200 for a new or used one.

Craig

Craig,

I posted sine waves and distortion distribution on the first page of this thread.

When I get a chance I will take some shots of the square waves. Digital amps pass their output through a low pass filter (like a DACs reconstruction filter) and the high end looks limited to around 40kHz. As such it doesn't have good 10kHz square waves. The 1kHz waves are square but it has some overshoot on the leading edge.

Shawn

Shawn,

Sorry I haven't been keeping up on this thread. Very cool shots! I just breezed through your posting the sine waves look very good and the amp clips just like it should (equal top and bottom). I'd really like to see some square wave at 20Hz, 100Hz, 2KHz, 5Khz, 15 KHz at say 5 watts of output. This is interesting. Where the heck can these be bought for $99?? I'd blow that much just to play with one but $200 is a stretch right now.

Craig