Teac AL700P (Tripath) Impressions

Erukian

Greetings,

To add my two cents' worth on the tripath...

I've got the Teac (just arrived) and the Sonic Impact (which has had a couple weeks of burn-in, which really *does* improve the sound).

Overall, I found the Teac to be a little fuller in the bass than the SI and perhaps a bit more extended in the highs. I expect it will mellow out a bit as it gets broken in. It's not significantly louder than the SI, though. I suspect it puts out 30wpc the same way that the SI puts out 15wpc - in other words ... NOT!

The SI, lacks some bass extension compared with the Teac but strikes me as being more dynamic overall. And since it's broken in a bit it's midrange has gotten silkier.

BOTH amps sound *significantly* better when I use the pre-amp out on my Audio Note SET. Whether this is due to the toobs or simply the gain and buffering found in non-passive pre-amp I really couldn't say. I've ordered a passive pre-amp w/phono stage (cheap) to experiment. (For 75 bucks it's hard to go wrong...!)

Maybe it's simply over-enthusiasm about finding a new technology, but my impression thus far is that, provided the Audio Note's preamp in play, BOTH tripaths eat my standalone Audio Note for lunch (and as a bona fide toobaholic I *really* can't believe I'm saying this!!!)

Also, the folks at Red Wine Audio (http://redwineaudio.com/) do their own version of the Sonic Impact amp, called the Clari-T, as well as a full mod on the Teac - each with apparently high-quality components for under $500. They're also developing their own passive preamp, to be called the Puri-T.

All of which means that tripath fans have got a LOT to look forward to as this technology hits its stride... 9.gif

Take care,

Scott

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 4/5/2005 9:29:44 PM scotbuck wrote:

Greetings,

To add my two cents' worth on the tripath...

I've got the Teac (just arrived) and the Sonic Impact (which has had a couple weeks of burn-in, which really *does* improve the sound).

Overall, I found the Teac to be a little fuller in the bass than the SI and perhaps a bit more extended in the highs. I expect it will mellow out a bit as it gets broken in. It's not significantly louder than the SI, though. I suspect it puts out 30wpc the same way that the SI puts out 15wpc - in other words ... NOT!

The SI, lacks some bass extension compared with the Teac but strikes me as being more dynamic overall. And since it's broken in a bit it's midrange has gotten silkier.

BOTH amps sound *significantly* better when I use the pre-amp out on my Audio Note SET. Whether this is due to the toobs or simply the gain and buffering found in non-passive pre-amp I really couldn't say. I've ordered a passive pre-amp w/phono stage (cheap) to experiment. (For 75 bucks it's hard to go wrong...!)

Maybe it's simply over-enthusiasm about finding a new technology, but my impression thus far is that, provided the Audio Note's preamp in play, BOTH tripaths eat my standalone Audio Note for lunch (and as a bona fide toobaholic I *really* can't believe I'm saying this!!!)

Also, the folks at Red Wine Audio (
) do their own version of the Sonic Impact amp, called the Clari-T, as well as a full mod on the Teac - each with apparently high-quality components for under $500. They're also developing their own passive preamp, to be called the Puri-T.

All of which means that tripath fans have got a LOT to look forward to as this technology hits its stride...
9.gif

Take care,

Scott
----------------

What Audio Note amplifier do you have ?

Craig

----------------

Also, the folks at Red Wine Audio (
) do their own version of the Sonic Impact amp, called the Clari-T, as well as a full mod on the Teac - each with apparently high-quality components for under $500. They're also developing their own passive preamp, to be called the Puri-T.

----------------

I've received my RWA, battery powered, TEAC yesterday and I really like what I hear so far. It sounds very smooth and the soundstage is huge. Noise floor is so low that you can hear every bit of detail.

Guy, once you've lived with it for a bit, I'd be interested to hear your opinion as to whether or not it can hang with the better tube amps out there. I don't expect it to compete with the Wavelengths, but comparisons to the ST-70s, Marantz, Eicos, etc would be interesting.

----------------

On 4/5/2005 9:41:12 PM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

Craig

----------------

Greetings,

I've got an Audio Note OTO Phono SE, which is a 10wpc single-ended amp that uses two EL84 tubes wired together in triode mode to make a "super EL84" tube per channel. A *great* amp, but I noticed on a CD that my band made (and which I played a lead role in mixing) that the sound through the Audio Note/tripath combo was closer to the mixing room experience than the sound through Audio Note by itself.

Note that the Audio Note by itself is *far* more lush; it's an absolutely gorgeous sounding amp - but I'm thinking (at least in my initial, short-term listening experiences) it may not be quite as *accurate* as the tripath amps. One could argue that the tripaths acted more as a disinterested third party, simply taking the signal they received and making it louder, whereas the Audio Note amplified the signal by taking a keen interest in improving the sound by adding its own brand of single-ended mojo. Admittedly, this is unscientific, but hopefully it helps illustrate the differences I've heard.

This isn't to say that one is, overall, better than the other. Sometimes we want to hear the truth and nothing but the truth; sometimes we might prefer a little white lie told with the best of intentions...

Of course regardless of what I think now, I'll likely change my mind later! 2.gif

Take care,

Scott

----------------

On 4/5/2005 11:46:40 PM scotbuck wrote:

This isn't to say that one is, overall, better than the other. Sometimes we want to hear the truth and nothing but the truth; sometimes we might prefer a little white lie told with the best of intentions...

---------------

There's a keeper! Very well put!

"Keep in mind, Red Wine doesn't supply the amps. So don't go pestering him with emails when your B/Oed Teac never ships."

You know Ben, Vinnie has never been anything but very helpful and one of his strong points is his customer service. Since Vinnie quit his day job to launch Red Wine Audio in Feb. he has counted on and developed a strong customer base from word of mouth. I may be wrong but I thought your post was very parental and assumes alot on your part.

The best thing you can do is call Vinnie if you can't get a Teac. Vinnie will tell you that his Clari-T plays as loud or at least VERY close to the Teac. I'm not trying to start anything here but again I'm sure Vinnie would love to get the calls. All the best, Guy

----------------

On 4/5/2005 11:46:40 PM scotbuck wrote:

----------------

On 4/5/2005 9:41:12 PM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

Craig

----------------

Greetings,

I've got an Audio Note OTO Phono SE, which is a 10wpc single-ended amp that uses two EL84 tubes wired together in triode mode to make a "super EL84" tube per channel. A *great* amp, but I noticed on a CD that my band made (and which I played a lead role in mixing) that the sound through the Audio Note/tripath combo was closer to the mixing room experience than the sound through Audio Note by itself.

Note that the Audio Note by itself is *far* more lush; it's an absolutely gorgeous sounding amp - but I'm thinking (at least in my initial, short-term listening experiences) it may not be quite as *accurate* as the tripath amps. One could argue that the tripaths acted more as a disinterested third party, simply taking the signal they received and making it louder, whereas the Audio Note amplified the signal by taking a keen interest in improving the sound by adding its own brand of single-ended mojo. Admittedly, this is unscientific, but hopefully it helps illustrate the differences I've heard.

Of course regardless of what I think now, I'll likely change my mind later!
2.gif

Take care,

Scott

----------------

Scott,

I'm going to refrain from saying to much because it may cause a fuss. I'll just say I've heard the Audio Note amp you have and your findings don't surprise me at all.

Craig

----------------

On 4/6/2005 9:05:33 AM NOSValves wrote:

Scott,

I'm going to refrain from saying to much because it may cause a fuss. I'll just say I've heard the Audio Note amp you have and your findings don't surprise me at all.

Craig

----------------

LOL

nice slam on the audio note amp and the teac amp in two little sentences!

too funny!

9.gif

----------------

On 4/6/2005 7:17:03 AM playntheblues wrote:

"Keep in mind, Red Wine doesn't supply the amps. So don't go pestering him with emails when your B/Oed Teac never ships."

You know Ben, Vinnie has never been anything but very helpful and one of his strong points is his customer service. Since Vinnie quit his day job to launch Red Wine Audio in Feb. he has counted on and developed a strong customer base from word of mouth. I may be wrong but I thought your post was very parental and assumes alot on your part.

The best thing you can do is call Vinnie if you can't get a Teac. Vinnie will tell you that his Clari-T plays as loud or at least VERY close to the Teac. I'm not trying to start anything here but again I'm sure Vinnie would love to get the calls. All the best, Guy
----------------

OK. Go ahead and bother him for something he can't get.

"OK. Go ahead and bother him for something he can't get."

Your missing the whole point! Vinnie is spending a lot of time and effort to get people to call and email him. if the Teac no longer becomes an option, Vinnie would be able to give them a very good if not perhaps better option. To just throw up your hands and say "OK,Go ahead and bother him for something he can't get." Doesn't show the common sense and wisdom that we know you have. All the best, Guy

----------------

On 4/6/2005 1:38:18 PM playntheblues wrote:

"OK. Go ahead and bother him for something he can't get."

Your missing the whole point! Vinnie is spending a lot of time and effort to get people to call and email him. if the Teac no longer becomes an option, Vinnie would be able to give them a very good if not perhaps better option. To just throw up your hands and say "OK,Go ahead and bother him for something he can't get." Doesn't show the common sense and wisdom that we know you have. All the best, Guy

----------------

YOU are missing the point...

people in this thread are looking for the teac amp....

no one here has expressed an interest in being sold something else if a vendor doesn't have the teac....

bait and switch happens all the time in other industries.... but it really isn't helpful to send people to vinnie if he doesn't have the product

my point was in response to ""Keep in mind, Red Wine doesn't supply the amps. So don't go pestering him with emails when your B/Oed Teac never ships." pestering being the key word. Let me repeat if the Teac no longer becomes an option, Vinnie would be able to give them a very good if not perhaps better option." And he may have a link to someone that may still have them. Where the hell did you get bait and switch from.

So whats the point? Number one, It would not be pestering Vinnie. Number two, Vinnie does not sell Teac but may offer an alternative or know someone that still has them. Number three, Please try to be a little more social, friendly, nice. We are all having fun with our hobby and trying to help others do the same.

from the comments in this thread, it seems that other vendors DO have the teac amp still available....

and i can research many other choices from the sonic-T to the jeff rowland digital amps and locate them on my own...

i don't need someone else to push a product on me that he offers as an "alternative" to the teac amp

hello everyone:

It looks like I was on the top of the list for one of the

"magic twelve" TEAC's that everyone says Wild West only had.

I just got an email from Wild West stating that mine was shipped this morning !!!!!!

Now I haven't a clue where I am going to place this "bad-boy" in my rig.

I just bought it to test it...then to just move on.

So.......if this amp doesn't shake-up my world...

I will put it up on EBay and let everyone "wrestle" for it !

~ Rock On ~