Gimme your top 5

rplace

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JC Superstar story: Ian Gillan, vocalist for Deep Purple and original Jesus in JCS recording, turned down the part to play the part in the movie. They offered him like 10,000 pounds for the summer shoot and he suggested that they should take a hike cause he earned that much in one night with Purple. Later was sorry that he turned down this chance at film immortality.

From Ian Gillan Bio, 'Child in Time'.

Michael

I am starting to rethink this "Musical" thing. While I do love The Sound of Music it is really not about music so much as they just happen to break into song every so often. I was looking for movies where music/bands/life on the road/etc. was the focus. Take The Doors for example. The movie is about the band and things going on in that era in the music scene. Grease is another one that does not quite make the cut. Great movie it might be, but it is about 50 high school more then music.

Am I the only one that is a fan of Almost Famous and High Fidelity? I cold watch those once a month. Maybe they fall into the "cheese" category as stated earlier. Well, call me cheesy. I will surely give you cheesy for my 5th pick of Rock Star...I was grasping at straws to get 5 off the top of my head.

For those of you who are contemplating Ray...watch it this weekend. Great music throughout and an interesting look in a musicians life.

Gotta disagree with the SOund of Music appraisal. The family was trained to sing and were a performing group and toured etc. At least the second half of the movie is a musical history if you will, of the Von Trapp family singers.

Does Tommy qualify? Surprised that no one else mentioned this. The guest appearances by Tina Turner, Elton John, and Pete and John of the Who with Eric Clapton (the Priest scene) is wicked bad!

OHHH yes Yellow Submarine 'the meanies captured everything that maketh music!' definietly qualifies as a movie about music.

Michael

See, I'm not so sure about Tommy. It's not so much about music as it is a musical. Ditto on Grease and Jesus Christ Superstar. Seems to me Phantom of the Opera comes closer than JC, but still doesn't quite make it because it's more about the phantom and less about the opera. The opera is somewhat incidental. He could have been The Phantom of the Dry Cleaners with only a few changes.

I had reservations about Moulin Rouge for the same reason. It's not specifically about music, but it is about musical people/entertainers and it uses music to tell the story (a la Sound of Music.) Rocky Horror Picture show is a musical, but it's not about music.

So I suppose there is more than one category to consider -- you've got your movies about musical people, which may or may not be musicals themselves (Moulin Rouge and Amadeus, respectively), and you've got your musicals, which may or may not have anything to do with music aside from using it to tell the story (Sound of Music and JC Superstar, respectively.)

Clear as mud yet?

what a bunch of chick movies HAHAHAHAH oh, that's right Amy IS a chick. Sorry.

Michael

I did enjoy Mr. Holland's Opus, cry every time I see that, that doesn't make me a girlie man does it?

Gotta abhor 8-mile for the misogynistic (sp) love? scene which takes all of 8 seconds. So that's what teenage girls have come to expect these days? I quick stand-up on the factory floor?

• Moderators

Can't say I agree with you on that, Michael.

Robert Duvall as an alcoholic washed-up country western singer?

River Phoenix as an immature marine the night before he's shipped off to Vietnam?

Clint Eastwood as a struggling/ill singer/songwriter?

Richard Dreyfuss as an inspirational music teacher? Maybe a little bit on the "chick flick" side...

Fame as a classic musical about a perfoming arts school?

The Pianist as a movie primarily about one man's struggle with Nazi occupied Poland?

Eminem (enough said)?

The rest I'll give you as potential chick-flicks, but reluctantly. After all, Tommy Lee Jones, Ewan McGregor, and Harvey Keitel are in them...

9.gif