Khorns, 1980's model with no Bass, Help

GregJD

Hi,

I just got a pair of 1980's Klipschorns and got them connected. I have the AK-2 crossovers and I just connected the amp cables to the lower two red/black plugs. I am just using one amp. The sound is great except I have no Bass on either speaker. Just checked fuses and they are good in both speakers but still no Bass. These speakers are stock with no modifications. Any ideas??

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg

Greg, can you just connect the woofers direct and not the other horns? Just hook your output on your receiver to your woofers to see if you get any sound out of them. If you do either your connections on your crossover or something else is wrong, Randy

Greg,

Touch the terminals of a single flashlight battery (1.5V) directly to the woofer driver terminals inside the woofer chamber. If you don't hear a pop through the woofer horn your K33 driver is dead. If you have an ohm meter you could also measure it. I should be about 4 Ohms or so, certainly not open circuit. I'm guessing your woofer are history!

Al K.

Silly question perhaps but........Are they in corners and have you taken steps to ensure they are well sealed at the adjoining walls ?

What speakers were you using before the Khorns ?

The bass character of the Khorn is very dfferent as compared to what many listeners are accustomed to these days.When I first got mine they seemed to lack bass compared to my KLF30s but after,( a very little ),time passed I came to understand that they sounded more realistic than the KLFs and when presented with a truely thunderous bass note they acquited themselves beautifully. I now often find myself listening for the tympani or the sound of a bass player's fingers moving along the strings in preparation for the next note.

Yes, I am in love.9.gif

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the replies. I took the covers off the side and attached the feed to the woofer speaker. Nothing happened. I will try the battery in the morning along with taking the speakers out and checking there ohm/reading. The speakers are K33E. I checked the speaker while connected and got .7 ohms.

Does anybody know if you can still purchase these speakers from Klipsch.

By the way my other speakers are infinity RS1B's that I purchased from absolute audio. They were used as one of there reference systems. Lots of Bass. I always wanted a pair of Corner horns.

Thanks again everybody,

Greg

Greg,

You'll need to disconnect at least one wire from the network before using the ohmmeter. The woofers are still available from Klipsch, they are an excellent value at about $130. This driver has been heavily optimized for the horn application over a period of 35 years.

If it's still under one ohm measured disconnected it's toast.

Greg:

I had the same problem with my '78 K-horns when I bought them.

It was the battery trick that pretty much told the story that the woofers were shot.

After taking out the woofers, both dust caps were dislodged and the paper cones were barely attached. Not sure if this was due to abuse or they just rotted out because they were stored in a garage for an extended period of time

I purchased a pair of K-33E's from Bob (BEC) and now everything is fine.

Bob was very helpful throughout the testing process and sent out the NEW replacements very quickly.

I believe Bob has some for sale on e-bay right now and I can't recommanded anyone better to buy from.

eBay item #5761194786

Hope this helps!!

JJ

JJ, Thanks for the information and I have just sent Bob a msg. I don't know if all the K-33E speakers have the same Ohm Ratings as I have seen some sites that said they range from 4 to 7 ohm's.

I can't wait to hear these speakers!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again,

Greg