RF 7 speaker spikes!

zman

I just put the speaker spikes on. They were just sitting on carpet with no legs for the first month. Now they are on the spikes without the legs. Noticeable improvement!!! Has anyone else done this and heard the improvement?

The difference was most noticeable on a long drum solo where the drummer is hitting at times the various drums/symbols etc. Everything sounds tighter more distinct in the entire drum set frequency ranges. BTW I was listening to Sheffield Labs Drum CD for component testing and evaluation but any WELL RECORDED comprehensive drum solo should show you the difference.

I'm confused. I understand where you put the spikes, in the holes normally used for the feet and the feet have a place for either the spikes or rubber inserts. However, are you saying that you have better sound with the spikes in the holes for the foot over using the spikes in the feet? If that is the case why would there be a difference between the two locations for the spikes? Do you think that the feet/spike combination has a different dampening factor vs the spikes directly attached to the speaker?

• Like 1

Well, I put the spikes on my RF7s' outrigger feet last night and, I have to admit, I think there is improvement in the overall sound - especially noticable was the bass response. Maybe someone that knows something about speaker cabinets and their design could elaborate. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the ability of the cabinet to better resonate while on spikes as opposed to sitting flat on the floor (think of an accousitc guitar or violin). anyway, I'm glad I put the spikes on.

I can't really see how stands matter _THAT_ much, and the only way I can see them affecting a speaker's performance negatively would be if you have a woofer totally using it's incursion like nuts and they somehow pick up some of the cabinet resonation. But most speaker stands now have carpet spikes and spikes between the platform and the speaker itself (i'm talking about like klipsch heresy's/bookshelves) I can't see a horn-tweeter benefitting or losing _any_ quality because of the super high frequency's it vibrates.

For me, the argument of stands is about as strong as speaker wire, just because the industry tell's me I should hear a difference, doesn't necessarily mean it's really there, placebo could really be a part of it.

I just stand still to be convinced.

-Joe

First, I never put the feet on because I did not have room for the feet. I only have info on spikes and no spikes on carpet. Second, to put spikes on hardwood floor, put down coins as in US coins first. I have no info on which sounds better but as you try both you won't scratch the floor. BTW spikes make moving the speakers VERY hard to do on carpet.

Leok

I use the coin trick also.. I reason that the penny works best. The copper is soft and I help the spike a little on the speaker side of the penny. A little hammer work does nicely. This results with in blunt bulge on the floor side of the penny. The bulge is very slight so the penny still looks to be flat on the floor but the mass of the speaker is well concentrated on the small contact area of the bulge.

The color of the penny coordinates well with the color of my floors.

Besides I'm a tightwad so a nickel is out.

Reg

Does anyone know how to take advantage of spikes on a wood floor (as in wood one does not want to put spike holes in)?

Leo

++++++++++++

I cannot remeber where i saw these little brass radiused "cups" you could put the points into.

Looked to be about thimble size.

• 3 weeks later...

zman,

I finally installed the spikes on the RF-7. Wow. Bass is really cleaned up .. sloppiness there in comparison with the Chorus-IIs is gone. What I have refered to as the "sound" of the speakers is pretty much gone. Highs sound much cleaner and more extended. Low bass is better because the muddiness is gone. I guess that cabinet was resonating a fair amount. Hall ambience and soundstage depth are now very clear and stable. Absolutely recommended. These RF-7s are magic now.

Thanks for the tip.

Leo