Is the Dell 42" Plasma a Deal at $3K

Frzninvt

I currently have a nice Sony 43" rear projection TV that is only about 4 years old. It is not HD or even ED, I cannot even take advantage of the progressive scan feature on my Denon DVM-4800 since the TV cannot support it.

I am not displeased with the picture at all, I feed it via the component inputs and it produces a nice clean picture.

However, I get the Dell flyer today and it is advertising there 42" Plasma for $2,999.00 delivered. It has a built in tuner and everything, it comes with speakers too - oh boy like I need those. They state it was rated best in show by PC Magazine - Digital Life 2004. Is this legit or what is it worth a go? I paid like $1700 for the TV that I have and think it should still be worth around $500 or more.

Thoughts?

I can't personally say anything about their HD displays as I have never seen them. However, if they are anything like their LCD computer displays, proceed with caution. They're really poor performers when put up against displays such as LG and whatnot IMO. Plus, I'm not sure what weight I'd give to PCWorld reviewing a HD display. Although if there is a return policy, I'd say it's worth a shot.

if you can do light control where you watch tv, then my suggestion would be to ditch TV alltogether and go front projector. Best bang for buck. 3 grand will get you a decent hi-def lcd projector and a fairly large screen. Like 96" diag. (87" x 47")

Picture-wise, they're awesome. I've yet to see a plasma, rear-projector or LCD flatpanel match this.

They're not for joe average, tho. They require setup, adjustment, new lamps every xxxx hours, etc.

I'm never going back to TV's. 9.gif

The reviews are mixed and Dell support seems to been less than helpful for the people with issues. Essentially blowing them off.

I think Dell's support is terrible with the experiences that I have had with them. It takes you forever to get through, and most of time the folks on the other end speak haphazard English and are not well versed with the products

I think it would be a bad choice from the comments I read on CNet. I think a local purchase would be better. I'll just wait until prices go down further.

Frzninvt,

You should really consider a FP unit. They take up hardly any room and you will get a wonderful picture. Before I bought mine, I too was looking into the lower end plasma's. But after seeing the Infocus 4805 in person my mind was changed in an instant. Now I paid 1500 for projector and screen and you can get the same combo for around 1200 now. I got mine with a 106" 16:9 screen. A truely awesome picture if I don't say so myself. Bulb replacement is around 3000 hrs at about 300 bucks. For the moey you are looking at spending on a plasma you will end up with a true theater size screen for your home and you could buy an extra bulb and have it ready when you need it. Then take the rest of the money you saved and buy some more Klipsch16.gif

scooter

Frz, Dell does not make any components. More then likely it's

a Veiwsonic display with Dell's name on it. (Like all their

monitors). It also probable not HD but ED. Dell's and Viewsonics

Plasmas are the lowest rated Plasmas by Consumer Reports.

I would stay away form these.

WOW Sound & Vision loved the InFocus 4805. "Quote: Minuses: None!" For the price it would be tough to beat. I don't have a room for a projector right now but it sure seems like the way to go.

Forget Dell! From what I have read and heard here it is a nightmare waiting to happen. Their customer service leaves ALOT to be desired to say the least.

Thanks guys!

This is off-topic, but if anyone is (or will) be in the market for a computer market, a Dell 2001FP 20" LCD monitor is second-to-none. Many professional online poker players use this monitor for its size and 1600x1200 native resolution, allowing you to fit up to four tables onto one screen, and playing up to eight on two of them.

In fact if you're still using a CRT, I suggest getting this monitor ASAP!