Need help with a Remote

Skidmarks

Im finally fed up with the table full of remotes! I was looking at some of the popular brands at the local Tweeter,

but most were $4-500 plus they needed a macro job for another couple hundred. Just cant pay $800 for a remote.

I was reading an article in S/V about the new Harmony 880 for about $250 ?(charging cradle and backlit)

Do these universal remotes work well?

Can I really replace all remotes with a universal?

Obviously ive never tried one.

I purchased a Pronto TSU3000 used for a couple hundred bucks. I wasted a few hours trying to set it up by selecting brand codes, then I wasted a few more hours trying to set it up with the software. Then I hit the right solution -- use the software to set up the screens the way I want them and then use the learning feature to teach the remote the function of each of the buttons.

Now it does everything I want it to, and making changes is a snap. The software and the USB interface are great boons -- I can't imagine trying to do it all through the remote itself. Though I found the learning curve fairly steep, I give it a "recommend." If someone had told me "Set up your screens on the computer, download the config into the remote, and then learn the buttons" before I got started, I'd be saying the learning curve is quite flat.

Guest Anonymous

Afternoon-

I have a Home Theater Masterl SL700 and it works great. It is really easy to use and simple to program and use the learning features, it has a great look and feel to it. It costs onle $100.00 now, but when I got it it was $150.00.

One of my buddies bough the Harmony 880 and he said it worked pretty well, but if you mess up in programming something it is a real pain to go back and fix it.

I have also used the Sony Remote Commander and after using all three of these remotes a little bit, I can honestly say that it is the best. It's the easiest to set up and change funtions, learn functions, etc. It is a great remote for $200.00

George

Another vote for the Home Theater Master...I have a step-down model- the MX500 and I now own two I like them so much...I've also sold so many of my friends and relatives on this remote that the company should start paying me commission!

I had bought some really expensive remotes before and had hated them. You can learn any function to any button, plus for each component you can label up to 20 buttons with whatever text you want. I also like hard buttons rather than touch-screen and this remote doesn't have any touch-screen stuff.

I will look into the Home theater master.

I have been reading the reviews of both it , and the soon to be released Harmony 800 series with full color screen.

The price is estimated to be comprable.

Hard to believe these come usb ready and all is done from your pc.

Thanks for the info .

Did your reciever come with a remote that has player controls? I know I was able to configure my denon remote to control every component I use. There might be a list of codes in the back of the manual that give you the pre-programmed capabilities. If your equipment isn't listed, then just go down the list (of the same manufacturer) and chances are one will work.

Using an MX-600 and it controls everything that uses a remote. Was very easy to program and to use (actually it's easy to use bcuz I set it up really logically). The greatest gain was being able to set-up all the hardware in a separate room. A/V room now only has the screen, speakers and a PS2, and only one remote control.9.gif

Now how do these remotes signal? Do you have to be in the same room to operate equipment, or can u use them for multiple rooms with out moving from room to room? A buddy of mine says he just got one for every room he has equipment in(he has a large house).

The Home Theater Master have both IR and RF versions.

IR

MX-500

MX-700

IR & RF

MX-600

MX-650

MX-800

MX-850

The Home Theater Master remotes use RF to transmit to a RF base station that has IR transmiters to control the equipment.

The MX-700, MX-800, and MX-850 are all programed from a computer very easy to work with the MX-500, MX-600, MX-650 do not use a computer for programming. I have a MX-700 and I am able to do pretty much anything I could need with it a great remote.;Check out this web site for more info on Home Theater remotes all these remotes are part of their Custom Professional Products line.

http://www.universalremote.com/products/