I got some questions

Rdmarsiii

Hey all, I had the backs off the Heresy's last night, and I have some questions about whats in them. The woofer is a K-22-K, not sure what the K stands for. The midrange is the K-53-K. Again, not sure what the K stands for. And finally, the tweeter is just a K-77. What is the difference between that and a K-77-M? Which is better? I stuffed the cabinets with polyfill last night, and the lower end sounds more out there, or 3D I guess. Overall I like the sound. Thanks, David

David,

Glad you like the Heresy. They are sweet rascals, aren't they?

On the K77... if the magnet case is round it's the older Alinco. Some folks prefer it. The K-77-M has a square ceramic magnet. It has somewhat higher extension, I think to 17K. The difference is not discernable to everyone. I don't know if I can tell the difference.

----------------

On 3/27/2005 4:47:30 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

David,

On the K77... if the magnet case is round it's the older Alinco. Some folks prefer it. The K-77-M has a square ceramic magnet. It has somewhat higher extension, I think to 17K. The difference is not discernable to everyone. I don't know if I can tell the difference.

----------------

I agree, the Heresy is a fine speaker. However, not all K-77-M tweeters have square magnets. Some were round and looked just like the original K-77.

----------------

On 3/27/2005 9:35:20 PM Thumpelstiltskin wrote:

----------------

David,

----------------

I agree, the Heresy is a fine speaker. However, not all K-77-M tweeters have square magnets. Some were round and looked just like the original K-77.

----------------

Say What? As far as I know Daddydee is correct. The "M" denotes "Mud" or ceramic magnet and all I have seen of the ceramics in K-77s were square.

Bob

I for one prefer the square non Alnico K77's Reason is they all sound the same and can for the most part be replaced or swapped with any other square magnet K77M.

The Alnico (round magnet) vary too much and are hard to match. Even when Klipsch built them new, they would have to test each K77 and sort them into three piles, hot ,medium, and cold, then would match them to a cooresponding network setup for each groups output.

JM

----------------

On 3/27/2005 11:14:04 PM BEC wrote:

----------------

On 3/27/2005 9:35:20 PM Thumpelstiltskin wrote:

----------------

David,

----------------

----------------

Say What? As far as I know Daddydee is correct. The "M" denotes "Mud" or ceramic magnet and all I have seen of the ceramics in K-77s were square.

Bob

----------------

Bob, trust me.....or you can look at the picture.2.gif

post-16138-13819263741942_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the comments! So Klispch is the actual manufacturer of the drivers?

I love the Heresy's to death. Its the best investment I've ever made. I dont want to offend any one, but I really prefer the sound of the Heresy's to the RF-7's and the like. Yeah, they sound good, but I just wasnt really impressed.

But yeah, Im not sure If I could get any happier. Well, I bet I could if I got a new amp and all that, but Im happy for now :P

Thanks!

"Bob, trust me.....or you can look at the picture."

Can't argue with a label. Just goes against everything we have been told about those over the years even by some Klipsch employees. Need Andy to chime in on this one. Wonder if a label got swapped.

JM,

EV built the K-77s up until the current K-77F.

Bob

----------------

On 3/28/2005 12:27:23 AM Rdmarsiii wrote:

Thanks for all the comments! So Klispch is the actual manufacturer of the drivers?

I love the Heresy's to death. Its the best investment I've ever made. I dont want to offend any one, but I really prefer the sound of the Heresy's to the RF-7's and the like. Yeah, they sound good, but I just wasnt really impressed.

But yeah, Im not sure If I could get any happier. Well, I bet I could if I got a new amp and all that, but Im happy for now
:P

Thanks!

----------------

Did not mean to leave the impression that Klipsch actually made the drivers. K77 tweeters are a selected lot of Electrovoice T35 units.

Some said recently that current K77s have been 're-sourced' which indicates a different manufacturer. That I don't know about.

The K55 series are Atlas drivers. I know that Eminence, CTS and others have made woofers for Klipsch Heritage but I am not sure about the ancestry of the K22, Bob Crites probably can tell you.

Most companies buy their drivers from other sources (these days, primarly Chinese) and label them with their own part numbers. The correct practice is to give the source a Specification/Source Control Drawing (SCD) and enforce the requirements via the contract. What was said in the thread about grading tweeters is true of any-well run high-end manufacturer, they will test the entire lot for conformance to the spec prior to release to manufacturing.

Mnay US firms have been burned by accepting out-sourced parts without testing, only to find that the source has pulled switcheroos on materials without bothering to tell the customer.

----------------

On 3/28/2005 1:54:31 AM Tom Mobley wrote:

Rd,

How's life anyway? Things settled at all?

----------------

Nope, but everythings fixing to go to court. So hopefully after that things will settle back into place.

Nick, Thanks! Im glad you like em!