Academy versus RC-7

yaffstone

Opinions are wanted on the Academy versus RC-7. I've tried to get an Academy, but they are hard to find and very expensive. One I was bidding on went for $678.00, more than a new RC-7. I'll be using either an academy or an rc-7 in an otherwise all heretige system. Currently I'm using Forte for the center channel and I'm hoping a real center unit would make an improvement. Opinions on this issue would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,

David

I went from an RC7 to KLF-C7 with my Cornwalls and find it a most pleasing change. Haven't heard the Academy but it's supposed to be one better. Either would be better with your Fortes than the RC7.

Michael

please not that I did NOT compare KLF-C7 to Academy here.

David, the Forte' would outperform the Academy and RC-7 for center channel purposes. The RC-7 is a way off match, and the Academy a so so match.

If you are using Belle's as mains your best bet would be a third Belle (I know, very tough and expensive to get), next a La Scala, after that a Cornwall would work very well. I think that the Forte' is actually a better choice than a Heresy. If I were you I would stop looking for another center speaker, keep the Forte, but rework the network inside it. Let me tell you it will transform the speaker. Chris Munson, has a killer upgrade on custom PCB's that will bring levels of detail to that Forte' that you never thought possible.

I have one of his networks in my Academy and it brought it to a whole other level rivaling the detail that I get from the La Scala. I would try that first and see what you think.

----------------

On 3/27/2005 8:16:16 PM Frzninvt wrote:

David, the Forte' would outperform the Academy and RC-7 for center channel purposes. The RC-7 is a way off match, and the Academy a so so match.

If you are using Belle's as mains your best bet would be a third Belle (I know, very tough and expensive to get), next a La Scala, after that a Cornwall would work very well. I think that the Forte' is actually a better choice than a Heresy. If I were you I would stop looking for another center speaker, keep the Forte, but rework the network inside it. Let me tell you it will transform the speaker. Chris Munson, has a killer upgrade on custom PCB's that will bring levels of detail to that Forte' that you never thought possible.

I have one of his networks in my Academy and it brought it to a whole other level rivaling the detail that I get from the La Scala. I would try that first and see what you think.

----------------

Where do you get Chris Munson upgrades from?

Yaffstone, are you set on a particular finish on you Academy quest? I have two black Academies. One is absolutely perfect in every way. The other is very close no dings or gouges just slight color fade in a spot or two. 15-20 minutes of work on the one and it will be looking like new. Not really sure why, but black Klipsch speakers do tend to get dull easily. Anyone know why that is?

I had told some forum members that if I got rid of them I would let them have first crack. Timing is not right for those members so I will get some pix together and a price if you are interested.

In the past I had used an academy between both forte and chorus. Chorus/Academy/Chours up front is a great combination. Send me an email (having trouble with PM for some reason) via the forum or to rplace*NOSPAM*@mantistech.com and we can talk a bit. Obviously remove the *NOSPAM* from the email.

Thanks, Rich