Is there any difference between PD-5VH and K-55

thomwake

Let's look at some pictures.

This is the plain wave tube response as found at the Atlas site for the PD-5VH. The upper end response doesn't change all that much when mounted on a horn. Notice where it drops off, which is in line with the published frequency response of 4.5kHz.

post-3205-13819263788258_thumb.jpg

Here is the DFH, with the raw graph published by Klipsch of the original K-55-V (with the spring loaded terminals), and the new one after the redesign. Big difference. Now, which driver does the current stock PD-5VH most resemble?

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=36067&

post-3205-13819263789282_thumb.gif

----------------

On 3/29/2005 9:50:13 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Thom.

They are the same drivers.

----------------

The K-55-V spring-loaded driver and the new PD-5VH drivers are the same, and they both have a one-piece phase plug. I checked directly with Atlas on the PD-5VH phase plug issue.

The K-55-V with the solder terminals is an improvement because it has a two-piece phase plug and consequently is smoother and sounds better than either the spring-loaded K-55-V or the PD-5VH.

I suspect that the new K-55-X has a one-piece phase plug, also, but that's just my guess.

I suspect that the new K-55-X has a one-piece phase plug, also, but that's just my guess.

That's what I think too. It's also hard to ignore the new crossover point of 4500Hz between the squawker and tweeter -- which just so happens to be the published top end response of the PD-5VH. Not much point in using a driver that goes out to 6kHz if you drop the crossover to 4500Hz and use a 6th order filter.