visited 2 dealers

Coytee

Thanks Coytee for the name of the two places. Ive not been to either one (I live in the Savannah area, so Hilton Head is not far away), but have heard of both places. Your pics from PLAY have me curious so Ill have to check them out.

The Audio-Video Warehouse experience is interesting. The original A-V Warehouse is here in Savannah and Ive been going to those guys for several years. Most all my equipment has come from them and theyve always been very good. The store you went to was opened 3 years or so ago and its more of a satellite store i.e. the main store in Savannah carries more product and is where all their custom work eminates. I know the owner pretty well, so when the timing is right, Ill let him know about your experience. But FWIW, I only deal with one salesman (Mark) or the owner. The rest of their sales people are ok, but they just dont have the knowledge/experience that Mark or the owner has.

As for your rackremember bigger is better!11.gif9.gif

Seriously though, dodger makes a good point concerning a slide out rack. While it can certainly look trick, one has to factor in so-called service loops (cable slack). And when you think about it, when the rack gets slid out, all that wiring thats attached and bundled can put a strain on the connectors/connections. May not be much depending on how the wiring is managed, but theres probably some risk of disconnections. Many people have slide out racks, so Im sure its do-able. Maybe the thing to do is pick the brain of a custom installer for wire management ideas.

And even if you have to locate your stuff for wife approval, at least youll have access to the back of your stuff. I sure wish I wouldve put more thought into the location of my HT rack. While I have access to the back, its a bit of a PITA. Was talking to the wife the other night about how I wished I wouldve put the rack on the back wall of the HT. Then I couldve accessed the equipment much easier. She looked at me and said, You know.I always wondered why you wanted it where it is. I always thought the back wall wouldve been better, but I didnt say anything cause I figured you knew what you were doing. I just gave her the look.7.gif

Tom

In my case, what Im doing

The stairwell comes downstairs. In the HT room, one of the walls is the wall support for the stairway. (Im currently in exposed stud walls here)

Ill take this closet under the stairs, cut two studs out, insert headers to make openings for the LaScalas to slip through. This way, the LaScalas will be hidden and the floor space used by them will be returned to the room.

I might put the rack in this SAME location since I already have all my wires headed there and I dont want to have to redo any of it.

I WAS going to have a door to this closet on the inside of this room. I might however, move the door out to the garage area so from the room perspective, all is contained in this wall and otherwise invisible. From the garage perspective, Ill have a door on the wall, opposite the garage door. Any crooks will be confused as to which door leads into the house!

Since it will be closed off to the garage with a door (probably a steel entrance door, keyed to house), Im not terribly concerned about dust/dirt. Perhaps Im being ignorant of that issue and ought to take a closer look.

I also need (want) to relocate my water heater from this same closet and put it on the garage side so Ill have more space in here for this stuff.

Never endsdoes it Im just glad I have stud walls and am still building my house, rather than having to redo it.