Heresy Tweeks???

flegz

right after I won the auction I surfed for hours looking for any info I could find....I found this on another site, any of this make any sense?????

"picked up a used pair of Klipsch Heresy's, older model 1's with birch ply boxes. At first these sounded to bright and thin. I went and applied plummers putty to the woofer basket legs and around the squawker horn. Then, I added a brace to the box. I changed the wiring on the autoformer in the crossover to drop the squawkers output a couple of decibles and changed the tweeter cap from a 2 uF to a 1.5 uF. I also have some felt around the mid-horn mouth (after routing the wood to the same taper). Then I lightly stuffed the box with polyfill. These tweeks transformed these speakers. They now have dynamics and frequency balance that is superb! These speakers bring me closer to the live music experiance then I have yet come. That compression midrange speaker is really amazing! I wouldn't give these up for any fullrange driver, even if the fullrange driver does have a better coherency. The Klipsch dynamics and detail are just so much better, and have a more neutral, realistic balance. Unless I can find something that has greater dynamics, frequency balance, detail and instrument tonality, I plan on staying in the Klipsch line. With my OB subwoofers, I get a very flat response down to around 25 Hz with a very life-like sound.

From what I've read, the Heresy plus decent subwoofer, is in the same league as the Forte's, Cornwalls and Chorus. I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon, as I haven't been impressed quite enough by any single driver system. Coherency and imaging isn't quite enough for me. Wink

I need that instrument detail and tonallity! Cool"

Thanks

Flegz 4.gif

I wouldn't do anything to them until you listen to them for a few weeks. Those must be '85. That's not that old but many of us replace the capacitors in the network with newer caps. I bought '71s and replacing the caps helped. But mine also had been tweaked and were wired incorrectly so I'm sure that was as much the reason as the caps. Some people rope caulk or dynamat the squawker, tweeter, and bass. That's probably most noticeable on the squawker horn.

Search the archives, there's a lot of threads on tweaking. Personally, I like mine mostly as Klipsch built them.

----------------

On 3/30/2005 9:33:21 PM flegz wrote:

right after I won the auction I surfed for hours looking for any info I could find....I found this on another site, any of this make any sense?????

"picked up a used pair of Klipsch Heresy's, older model 1's with birch ply boxes. At first these sounded to bright and thin. I went and applied plummers putty to the woofer basket legs and around the squawker horn. Then, I added a brace to the box. I changed the wiring on the autoformer in the crossover to drop the squawkers output a couple of decibles and changed the tweeter cap from a 2 uF to a 1.5 uF. I also have some felt around the mid-horn mouth (after routing the wood to the same taper). Then I lightly stuffed the box with polyfill. These tweeks transformed these speakers. They now have dynamics and frequency balance that is superb! These speakers bring me closer to the live music experiance then I have yet come. That compression midrange speaker is really amazing! I wouldn't give these up for any fullrange driver, even if the fullrange driver does have a better coherency. The Klipsch dynamics and detail are just so much better, and have a more neutral, realistic balance. Unless I can find something that has greater dynamics, frequency balance, detail and instrument tonality, I plan on staying in the Klipsch line. With my OB subwoofers, I get a very flat response down to around 25 Hz with a very life-like sound.

From what I've read, the Heresy plus decent subwoofer, is in the same league as the Forte's, Cornwalls and Chorus. I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon, as I haven't been impressed quite enough by any single driver system. Coherency and imaging isn't quite enough for me. Wink

I need that instrument detail and tonallity! Cool"

Thanks

Flegz
4.gif

----------------

Hey, I wrote that! I've played with the Heresy's a lot since then and would change the "lightly stuffed" part to just linning the inside with a layer of sound absorbing material. Also, you need to add a 16 ohm resistor in parrallel to the squawker when you change the autoformer taps. Also, try taking the driver off the midhorn (if it is the metal rear mounted one) and move the horn to front mounting. Plastic horns are already front mounted. The older metal horned squawkers can sometims benefit from having a P-trap added. Do a forum search for details. It helped mine.

Good advise to leave things alone until you get used to the origional sound. You'll be able to judge the effects of any tweeks better that way.

BTW, I've found the speakers to sound good sitting on the floor, tilted back with a riser under the front about a couple inches high, and pulled out from the corners a couple of feet. In the factory crossover setting, they balance pretty good right in the corner, but may have a bass bump in the 60-100 Hz range.

Have fun with these. They are great speakers.

Dave

1.gif

'85s are Heresy 1.5s with K-53 drivers and plastic K-701 horns Dave.

The first mods I did to my '84 1.5s was to rope caulk the horn and woofer basket and add some polyfill. Next I veneered the cabinets, rebuilt the E-2 x-overs with Multicaps and polys (30+3uF) in the woofer section, added some asphalt damping material to the sides back and tops, swapped out the horns for K-700s and K-55s, added new backs and L-pads, and replaced the K-55 drivers with Universitys. Other than that, they are completely stock!2.gif

Have fun!!!!3.gif9.gif

Rick

WoW...Newbie Screw up!

Didn't know there was a 1.5 version. Is there a big differenc in the way they sound? K-53 & K-701's Plastic horns............

Dosen't sound good.........E-2 crossovers, not as good?

Thought I got a good deal........

Bummer.......15.gif15.gif

How much did you spend to upgrade them?

Thanks..

Flegz

----------------

On 3/31/2005 6:30:36 PM flegz wrote:

WoW...Newbie Screw up!

Didn't know there was a 1.5 version. Is there a big differenc in the way they sound? K-53 & K-701's Plastic horns............

Dosen't sound good.........E-2 crossovers, not as good?

Thought I got a good deal........

Bummer.......
15.gif15.gif

How much did you spend to upgrade them?

Thanks..

Flegz

----------------

No you didn't screw up. To my ears at least the k-53 is a tad smoother than the K-55 push-pin.

The difference between the E and E-2 is the addition of a cap in the bass section. The E-2 also used black film box capicitors rather than motor cans.

Including the University drivers, caps, L-pads and everything else, under $150 over the course of about 2 years. It's a hobby don'ch'know. The entertainment value of doing the mods alone is worth the price of admission to me.

The added bonus of having Heresys that sound nearly as good as my Khorns to listen to all day, priceless!3.gif3.gif

That lets me keep the hours lower on my more expensive 2A3 and 300B tubes to more critical listening periods in the evening.1.gif

Rick

Really go with some of the early advice and just listen to them a good while before trying anything. It will give you a base to work from.

I have Heresy IIs. I love them.

My son has Heresys. I love them.

There are slight differences between them. He has moved his tweeters to be mounted from the front. (required removing the driver from the horn. Putting horn through the front and re-attaching driver. Plus beveling the hole so the horn would fit flat). Makes a bit of difference, but you could leave them too.

Congrats on the acquisition.

Marvel