Klipsch Heresy speakers

archangele

Hi,

I am new to this forum but by the name I figure this it the place to go for information on Klipsch Heresy speakers. I would like to buy a pair of these but I am curious about a couple things. I plan to use these to test amplifiers I design and build and would like to know if these are as efficient and articulate as the old Klipschorns or the modern Klipsch speakers I have seen in audio stores locally.

I'm sure nothing compares in efficiency to the old 50's Klipschorns, but I want a very articulate speaker to show up any sonic artifacts in the push pull and single ended amps I build. What would be the normal price range for these speakers in fully functional condition with all original drivers? I'm not looking for 'pretty', just functional.Also, I was told that Klipsch still makes these speakers. Is this true?

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks,

I figured they had to be pretty efficient. The local dealer told me he could get a set for around $500.00. Does that sound about right in price? I was also going to try Ebay, but I'd imagine they are heavy so shipping might be an issue. What other Klipsch models do you feel I should also consider?

Thanks,

Bill B.

----------------

On 4/1/2005 4:54:00 PM archangele wrote:

The local dealer told me he could get a set for around $500.00. Does that sound about right in price? I was also going to try Ebay, but I'd imagine they are heavy so shipping might be an issue.

I just bought a pair in very good condition on ebay for

$600+. Cosmetically-challenged pairs can be had for

less. Hereseys aren't that big or heavy - shipping

shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.

----------------

On 4/1/2005 5:54:27 PM BS Button wrote:

Can we see some of the amps that you build?

----------------

Hi,

I have a website with one pair at:

http://home.alltel.net/wbittle1

These are an initial pair on industrial strength 1/8" thick welded aluminum chassis. (the same I use for guitar amplifiers) but I plan to use a more decor friendly chassis with wood trim in future amps. The original prototypes are on solid copper chassis and are now doing duty in my test rig in my service shop. I'm not into brute power. I am just into the sound. That is why I was looking into a pair of Heresys. I like very conservative rated class A power amps (push pull or single ended) and I really like the EL34 power pentode. I've been working with it since I was a kid in the 60's and built my first amp from scratch ( A Mullard 5-20). I service and build amplifiers. I just finished a Scott 299C for a guy and now have a Black Face Fender Super Reverb on the bench undergoing a total rebuild. On the side shelf is one of my guitar amps I am putting the finishing touches on. (It was sidelined because the Fender is needed for a recording session so I need to get it running and back to Baton Rouge before the end of next week) I just love tube amps and vintage hi-fi. If I'm not servicing one, I'm building one.

Bill B.

Bill:

You should be able to find used Heresys in good condition in the $300 - $400 price range for a pair.

Klipsch speakers were priced according to the veneer finish. The oak or walnut in good condition may command a premium, but the basic raw birch plywood versions seem to hold their own in the used market.

I've bought two pair in the last six months. Paid $340 (HOL) for one pair and $350 (HBR) for the other.

James

----------------

On 4/1/2005 8:16:34 PM khorny wrote:

I see you all the time on the Scott forum helping people bill.

Can I make a constructive critism? Devide your narrative into paragraphs on you web sight. It'll be easier to read.

Funny you should mention that because I am in the process of creating a completely new website and was addressing that exact problem. Also, I am going to streamline the verbage a bit and probably have other pages

people can view who want more details. I have built amplifiers for many years, but since I have become a product of corporate downsizing, I am now starting to build them for sale. (as well as servicing existing ones)

Thanks,

Bill

Cool,

Actually that guy at the local hi-fi shop who told me he could get them for around $500 was offereing a pretty good deal then. That is if he can deliver. This shop deals in high end hi-fi gear, both stereo and home theater. He even has turntables and some tube gear. He does get in used equipment all the time as well. I checked Ebay and htere are several pairs up for auction so I'm watching those and may bid on a pair if I can keep the total with shipping under $500.00

I just bought a pair in very good condition on ebay for

$600+. Cosmetically-challenged pairs can be had for

less. Hereseys aren't that big or heavy - shipping

shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.

New-B 2 New-B

Welcome!! I just purchased a pair Heresy's for $395 including the shipping from ebay. I expect to be a customer of yours in the near future. I am aiming at an all tube set up this year. Best Luck!!

Flegz............1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif

I paid 300 which included shipping. BUT, they really do not look good at all, but they sound great and they are in the garage.(Pull em inside if I want to mess around with 7.1). So I would think if you wanted them for a shop, keep looking for a banged up pair that still sound great, or spend the extra money for good cosmetic ones. Mine actually would clean up nice with some light sanding and BLO, there are no major dings or scratches.

----------------

On 4/2/2005 7:46:00 AM flegz wrote:

New-B 2 New-B

Welcome!! I just purchased a pair Heresy's for $395 including the shipping from ebay. I expect to be a customer of yours in the near future. I am aiming at an all tube set up this year. Best Luck!!

Hi,

Sounds like I should be able to find a cosmetically challenged pair for around $300 if I shop. Sounds good to me! I'm rather good with wood working as well and have no problems refinishing speakers.

Any time you need an amp serviced, or are interrested in a pair of new power amps, feel free to contact me.

I must thank everyone who has responded to my questions on the Heresy speakers. These seem like a perfect fit for my application. Now to hunt down a pair. I think I'll try the local store first, see what he can do with respect to price. Failing that, I can check the Ebay auctions.

Bill B.