HELP ME with Harshness!!!!!

jason577

Hello,

Every time I listen to music with my Legends (KLF 20 & KLF C7 - no surrounds) it sounds extremely harsh.

Ive owned these speakers for over 6 months now and they still are harsh. I have just now been able to describe the harshness.

It is not anything specific that stands out, rather it is just an underlying sound that is there. My ears get worn down and begin to hurt after just 2 songs. I have no problem when watching movies, just when listening to CDs (this happens with all CD's, not just old or poor quality ones)

Im powering them with a Denon 2801 and have Monster bulk speaker wire (the $1.50/ft kind). I have a Toshiba 3109 DVD player that I also use to play cd's and it's connected by an optical cable.

I have tried using a coax cable, but it does not make a difference. I turned down the treble, it did not help either.

Any suggestions on what's causing this and how to get rid of it????

THANKS

Jason,

The speakers sound great when powered by a decent system, so I would look elsewhere. One thing I've found when listening to music using just an av receiver to amplify the signal, there is a tendency toward harshness. I use a Sony ES receiver, which is damn nice for HT, but like the rest, lacks good musical warmth and fullness. To rectify, I bought a decent 150 wpc stereo amp, and drove it via the receiver's preouts.....That's what I would suggest you try, provided you have preouts on your receiver....If you dont, then I think you need to upgrade to one that does...

• 3 weeks later...

Harshness huh!

Well the little Denon reciever is not a way to treat the Klipsch.

I also have Denon recievers,the 3801 and 5800.And I dont use the integrated amps.I use the ATI 1505 with the 3801 and ATI 2505 with the 5800!

If you want a more musical amp still the larger Rotel 5 channel amps will all do.The large Roteal amps are detailed and musical.

Cheack Rotel out,it may be the amswer to your problems!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Before you go about upgrading your Denon I would try connecting via analogue (RCA) connections. Almost invariably these provide a softer warmer sound than digital connections whatever digital cables you use.

Other than that the 2 best amps I have heard with any klipsch speaker are the Accuphase models (starting from the E211 integrated model) and, of course, tube amps.

Judging by your comments tubes are the more likely to suit your needs - even the cheaper push/pull models.

Time to start listening to a few options methinks...

Enjoy the quest

jason ... i was in the same exact situation as you. i have the KLF-20 and definitely did not like listening to it for long periods of time in stereo mode .. this is powered by the denon 3801. i was just about to trade up to the RF-7 line since my local hifi buys will accept the trade. well i read some of the post here and got an Acurus amp from UBID ... 200FIVE model ... got it for $900 and is now playing in my music room for the last 2 days. well to sum it up ... i'm not trading up my speakers though i know some will say the RF7's sounds better .. my KLF-20's still sounds great watching movies but listening to stereo is where it made a huge difference and keeps getting better everyday. there are still a bunch at UBID and they are all brand new with 2 years warranty. go grab these and i'm sure you will be happy. i'm now looking to get a 2 way or 3 way amp to power my rear surrounds.

Question to all ... do you think that getting the ACT-3ABM is worth it at this point. my denon 3801 is a 6.1 processor while the ACT-3's are not but in terms of sound, would it make a big difference. it's also at UBID and saw it go for $700. thanks.

I have found most HT receivers to be harsh in my opinion due to the DACs.

The DACs are for DD but not great for music.

Another option is to go analog from the CD player to the 6 channel input in the HT receiver. Depending on the design of the receiver the 6 channel input should experience less processing.