VTL Renaissance Monoblock 80s..?

Joe Auwen

I have a set of VTL MB-100 that Spaaaz traded in. There not bad at all a little sharp on the top which I may go in and cure11.gif. The driver circuit is a slight problem if you want full power out of them. Not sure why they used 2 12AT7's the way they did it can not drive the amp to full power cleanly (lots of distortion at full power). But with Klipsch speakers this is a none issue since you would have to be deaf (or you will be deaf) if you drive the amps to full power LOL !!! I'd rate the amps over any Quick Silvers I've heard for sure but still not a match made in heaven for horns. I'm thinking about using them in a Bi-amp setup do drive the bass bins just for the fun of it.

Craig

Picked up the M80s this afternoon and after cleaning 3 years of dust out of and off of them, I ran them up slowly on a variac, set the bias (had to change out 2 bad 5881 tubes) and plugged them in to my system. They have been running about 2 hours now and are starting to warm-up. They were initially a bit sharp and not very open sounding.

I think I'm going to like them... :-)

Craig, do you have any info on adjusting the AC balance and bias of the 12AT7 tubes..?

There is no bias adjustment for the 12AT7's. The AC balance is done with a function generator and either a scope or distortion analyzer. If you have these items let me know I can walk you through the AC balance. Oh and the sharpness is still there after warm up your ears and mind just got used to it 1.gif

Craig

Craig, I have a signal generator and o'scope. The distortion analyzer won't be here for another few days.

One of the 5881s went 'cherry' on me after about 3 hours, so I will be ordering more today. Is that a product of the tube going bad or is it a circuit problem that I would need to address before putting new tubes in..?

thanks for you help..