Why I hate my dealer....

maxg

Antonis, my dealer, is a complete sh1t sometimes. Too clever by half!

I was in his shop the day before yesterday and he gives me a smallish box with clearaudio on the side saying "Have a play with this and see if it does anything for your system."

That was it - no more info - so I take it home. Opening the box I am greated by this:

media.nl?id=3759&c=ACCT106601&h=833b4363

In the blurb it says, "The new Clearaudio Syncro Power Generator is an extremely accurate A/C generator specifically designed to help you lock-in a very accurate speed setting in both 33 1/3 and 45 RPM."

Blah blah blah - I already have a power cleaning something or other from Tsakiridis so I call Antonis and he says "just plug this into the Tsakiridis and you TT into it."

I am way too obedient sometimes!

Anyway I fire the thing up and it reads 52.3 Hz (it is supposed to read 50) so I turn one of the little adjusters on the front for 33.3 RPM speed (not played with the 45 RPM setting yet - no disks) until it reads exactly 50 and then fire up the TT.

Holy Cow!! The sound seems incredible. Veils lifted and all that nonsense. Unplug the unit - plug the TT back in direct. Try again. Veiled - wow!

Repeat the test for 6 records playing them all the way through one side with the thing and without.

No doubt about it - this thing makes a difference - and not a subtle one!

OK - I'll bite - called Antonis yesterday morning - yes - I want it - how much?

"950 Euros"

"oh"

Then I swore down the phone at him for about 5 minutes solid (we are talking in the region of $1,100 here - for a POS power gizmo that isnt even a UPS).

"So is there a cheaper option?"

"Project do one for 350 Euros."

Clever - that almost sounds reasonable now. "Is it the same?"

"No - not as good - I have tried it at home - it does something but not this."

More swearing.

Now what? No way I can justfiy paying this kind of money for the thing (OK - he will give me a discount - but not much) but I now can't live without it.

What a B*****D he is!

I can't really tell other than to say that it keeps your mains power at the exact frequency it is supposed to be. If it does anything else above that it is a mystery. Oh, it does let you switch from 33 to 45 speeds at the press of a button apparently - but I have not tried that out yet.

I think its main function is what is described technically as a "wallet emptier" although as they have already achieved this they are now going for the small change in my pockets and my daughters dowry.

Max,

Amusicdirect sells it.

The below is from the site:

CLEARAUDIO - SYNCHRO SPEED CONTROLLER

The new Clearaudio Syncro Power Generator is an extremely accurate A/C generator specifically designed to help you lock-in a very accurate speed setting in both 33 1/3 and 45 RPM. It can drive any table with an A/C synchronous motor up to 8 watts! No matter what is coming through your A/C line or how speed accurate your turntable, the Clearaudio Synchro will generate the appropriate sine wave to ensure that your table runs at the perfect speed consistently! An unbelievable sonic upgrade! Simple to use in conjunction with any speed strobe. $999.99

So did you buy it?

Danny

----------------

Ahh, sounds a little like what my PS Audio P1000 Power Plant does. It can generate harmonically perfect sine waves in 5Hz increments from 60Hz to 120Hz.

----------------

That's what I thought. It's like my PS Audio P300, which re-generates pure sine wave power from line current and made a similar difference on my turmtable and other motor-driven components. I understand Rega makes one too.

Larry

***ALERT for PS 300 or other Power Plant owners***

Check out the new PS Audio upgrade for power plants at Music Direct - It apparently gives you greater control over TT speed (I think!). If I recall correctly, it is $100.00.

That device seems to be exactly the same as the VPI SDS system. I have one and Jazzman has an older version of it called the PLC. I think I paid about $850 for my SDS and yes it makes a big difference. It's purpose is to keep the voltage constant and thus the speed is consistant on your turntable. It also has a Hz adjustment to set the speed correctly.

One thing that does not sound right to me is adjusting the reading to 50 Hz. On my SDS you adjust the setting based on platter speed, so you need a strobe to know if you are too slow, or too fast. The Hz reading really is just feedback to give you some indication of where your setting is at. You adjust Hz up or down to dial in the speed of your platter until it at precisely at 33.3.

No Disc

A fool and his money.......

Yeah, I resemble that!14.gif

Better to spend your grand on the Clearaudio device than your daughter anyhow Max. In another seventeen years she will be moving out to college or whatever. The Clearaudio will stay with you far longer.2.gif

Rick

Just lost the entire damn post. Bugger!

What have I done? Nothing. It is sitting in my living room grining at me. No pressure from the Dealer (he has had it in stock for ages apparently - who would spend this kind of money on a gizmo? - Me huh!).

Anyway I decided to put it out of my mind for a while and rather than spending money I dont have on this I spent money I dont have on vinyl instead:

Handel Israel in Egypt

Bach The six Brandenburg Concertos

Paganini / Bettesini Violin Concerto 4 / Grand Duo for violin / Le Streghe

Debussy Images / Le Martyre du Saint Sebastien

Bach / Haydn Violin Concertos in A minor and E major / Violin Concerto in C Major

Dukas La Peri

Boccherini Sinfonia Concertante in C Major / Sinfonia in D Minor

Hummel / Fesca Grand Military Septet / Septet

Verdi I Masnadieri

Albioni Adagio in G Minor

Made me feel better about things!

Oh - as for the Hz thing (Hertz - yes it does!) you are supposed to use it with a special disk and a stobe, neither of which I have. According to Antonis, however, who does have one, the setting is always 50 Hz here - but he will check it out next time he comes around. Clearaudio test all their motors to play at the correct speed according to the frequency of the mains in each country - so 50 Hz here is correct and they are usually spot on. I guess I am paying for something afterall.

Better post this before I lose it again.

To be honest Wolfram I dont really ever look for DG anything - I only have 2 recordings of theirs I can say I am truely happy with. Not even sure what the Tulip designation is.

Dont tell anyone - but the cheapy to buy is Philips. I have 30 something of them and only one bad one (a mono recording too). Just try to get teh dtuch pressings if you can, otherwise the UK ones are OK too, but not quite as good. The US ones are mainly junk so I avoid them.

Second to Philips IME is EMI - NOT THE ANGEL ONES EITHER8.gif - even their digital recordings are not too bad - I guess they used rather good DACS in the recording process.

If you explain to me what the Tulips are I will keep and eyeout for you.

Max

The DGG Tulips or Large Tulip are what's the indicator for the older DGG discs, there is a large tulip on the LP label. Later releases had a much smaller tulip that did not extend to the outer edge of the label. Later tulips are also pretty good, but some of the older Large Tulips are simply amazing in their clarity.

No Disc is a name I came up because I mostly listen to LPs and not CDs. When there is no CD in my digital player it displays "No Disc" so it was a cute way of saying I listen to Vinyl more than digital.

No Disc

Max,

I agree that DGGs (as they used to be called in the old days) often do not offer the best sound (Deccas and EMI usually 'beat them - can't really comment on Philips as - I admit- I don't own too many of those), but they remind me ever so much of childhood. We used to have a kind of promo disc of the 4th movement of Karajan's Beethoven No.9 recording which included a printed catalogue and I remember being kind of glued to the pics of the covers.....

Anyway, enjoying vinyl a lot more these days 9.gif I would love to get some of those 'yellow label' LPs. When it comes to the tulip name I should think it has to do with the print of the label on the record. The upper middle section seems to be a basket of tulips - hence the name (and I guess the 'older' the recording, the bigger the tulips).

Wolfram

I like the phillips as well, I find their vinyl to usually to be very quiet with low background noise, even if the recording or performance is subpar, the vinyl quality is usually superb.

The older DGGs (large tuplip) don't usually have quiet vinyl, but I find I like many of the performances and the recording techniques they used are in my opinion are superior and sound fantastic.

I always grade my albums by three attributes.

Performance Quality

Recording Quality

Vinyl Quality

They are all different in my mind and should be graded seprately. I usually find myself grading the older DGGs with an A for Performance and Recording, and usually a A- or B for Vinyl.

No Disc

I hate to admit the importance I place on vinyl quality. I can put up with some hiss and the occasional pop but if it is "shushing" all the way through a record I can't listen to it - however good the performance and the recording.

Having said that I wouldnt class the Philips recordings as sub par either - some of them are astoundingly good and the performances amongst my favorites on a few.

I have one DG recording that is superb:

Verdi

La Traviata

Renato Scotti

Der Mailander Scala

Antonino Votto

Deutche Grammaphon

2727 004

Stereo

Germany

2 record set

It is on far heavier vinyl than any of the others and I think it is older - I will have a Tulip hunt later on tonight. There is also almost no surface noise to speak of at all. From memory the labelling is slightly different on it from the rest - I think the logo is smaller rather than larger - although I might be wrong (my memory is not what it...er...what was I saying).

Nuff said.

"Can such a device cause any improvement if used on tube pre-amps and amplifiers?"

I am not sure I understand the question. the unit is meant to be used on teh TT - I dont think the amps and pre-amps come into it. As it happens I have both tube pre and power amps if it helps.

You cant run the power amp off it for sure - it only supports 8 watts or so.