RW-12 or SVS pd-10

bikendad

Trying to put together a HT system for mostly movie watching and a little music listening. Will be going with either an RF25 or RF35 system and can't decide which one of these subs would be best. My room is 15x22 by the way and I will be getting a Denon 2105 or 2805.

There is no question the SVS PD10 is a better sub in any practical test you can throw at it.

More solid cabinet,much more potent woofer,more amp power,larger and tuned deeper cabinet.

Its simple facts

Sorry I have to go with common sense here,hope Trey Cannon does not send tanks after me. 3.gif

Your setup is quite similar to mine: RF-25, RC-25, RS-35 and also a pair of RB-25's I can drag up from the downstairs system to jump to 7.1 with. Receiver is a 2105. I had a KSW-12 and was pretty unhappy with it, and ended up with a BIC H-100 for half the price of the KSW. And far better performance IMO. The BIC was designed by Hsu and is quite similar to the STF-1. If I were going to spend a bit more, then I may look to the RSW series, I liked the RSW-12 quite a bit, but wanted to stay on a budget for now. Maybe in time....

How do you like that 2105, I'm stuck between that and the 2805? I'm now considering getting the rf35 system and saving up for the sub at a later date. I'm getting real interested in the SVS cylinder subs, the 25-31pci and the 20-39pci get great reviews for movies and are still much less expensive than an rsw12.

I would go with the RW-12, the pb10 is capable but the RW-12 has more surface area and more power, the PB12 will dig deeper but I don't think its going to give you much over the RW-12 other than that. I also happen to own an SVS sub so I'm speaking from experience.

I am VERY happy with the 2105. It was a toss-up between ordering that and getting a Pioneer 1014 when they went on sale at BB. I decided on the Denon and got mine from dakmart.com as a factory refurb. It was about $460 to my door and dakmart has a one-year warranty on the receiver as well. I finally used the auto-setup function and all I did from there was to change the setting from large to small for the front speakers. Anyhow, very clean power with the Denon and the sound is terrific!

ps, looking at your screen name, do you bike....as in bicycling? Just curious....if so, my wife would like to shoot me....I have a full-suspention MTB, road bike, beater hybrid, and stumbled upon an old Bianchi road bike that I am going to freshen-up for the wife to ride. Somehow she seems to think I do not need three bikes at once....kinda like the same look when I got the dreaded upgrade-itis with the speakers, lol.9.gif

----------------

On 4/10/2005 11:54:11 PM Blackmesa wrote:

I would go with the RW-12, the pb10 is capable but the RW-12 has more surface area and more power, the PB12 will dig deeper but I don't think its going to give you much over the RW-12 other than that. I also happen to own an SVS sub so I'm speaking from experience.

----------------

The reason the Klipsch has more power is to make up for it's smaller enclosure. Have you heard the RW-12 and PB10?

IAmtnbikr, yes I'm a cyclist but not like I used to be. Lol, I've been thru this whole thing with the wife about the bikes also. I have a VOODOO titanium mtn bike and a Bianchi road bike and I've spent a ton of money on both. It's just like this HT thing, it's a disease! I've also got an old Park-Pre road bike and several other expensive mtn bikes for my sons, my wife just doesn't get it. We could also talk about my addiction to speed with a Yamaha Waverunner that is hopped up to the max :-)

Yeah, I wish I had more time to ride myself. I have a Giant XtC DS1 mountain bike, pretty much a bare frame build I did using a mix of stuff....XTR, RF, SID, custom Risse air/oil rear shock, King discs, Formula hyd discs, etc. The road bike is a Raleigh aluminum frame with D-A, Ultegra, American Classic wheelset, Easton, etc. Beater is a steel Trek. I am looking at carbon fiber road frames, but not in a big hurry to spend a ton right now. Funny how much you can wrap up in carbon fiber and titanium stuff for a bicycle......just as bad as the racecar stuff was, lol.

The bigger box just allows the driver to reach lower more efficiency, in fact, it will lower it across the FQ scale as proven when you compare the 25-31 to the 16-46, am i wrong?

I dont own the pb10, but this is what I know.

the rw-12 driver is more efficient, has more power and has more surface area, so its going to be louder unless there is something obvious Im missing. The PB10 is turned to go lower. I'll take the RW in that case because i listen to 20hrz and below about 1% of the time.

I have not done a head to head, so I admit, I could be completely wrong, but I feel strongly enough about this to say wait a sec, Klipsch subwoofer are not this BAD.

Ill tell ya this, I think if Klipsch made RW subs with dual powered drivers, bigger enclosure, and larger port, they could really compete against SVSs ISD line. RW-8/2 10/2 and 12/2 would be neato!

My PB12 would play inconstantly when I did bass tests at given FQ's. Seems like it would hit really hard once, then the next would be 5-10dB lower, then hard again. Same test, over and over, bass slide for about 2 seconds with a 2 second pause before the next test. It did this for music too if there was enough bass. My sub did not seem broken because it worked most of the time, but this really made it seem weak because it was not bottoming out or anything, but just running out of gas and the only thing that would correct it was waiting a few seconds... not a great experience for me. I'll try a + or ultra next time. I'm saying away from the ISDs. I would not go near the pb10 if its anything like the 12, unless mine was broken?

I would agree about SVS, Hsu and the other direct marketers. Their products (with few exceptions) deliver superior performance at a lower price point affording one a bigger ROI.

Their direct marketing reduces the total cost substantially and allows them to deliver 1/3 again as much for the price.

And I get a kick out of the folks that say the SVS are good only for HT or for music...Huh?

Their tube models provide varying degress of low frequency extension and substantial gain across the bandpass with excellent impulse response. Much more then most competing products. That is not to say that other models by other manufacturers can't. But the larger SVS, and ESPECIALLY the Ultras do.

So it would be nice if the emotional reviews based on first hand knowlwdge of one, and speculation of the other be limited to stating characteristics of the one that is 'known'. And let's try to make the discussion as factual as possible. For ALL brands and models! Is that fair?

There is room for all the brands and there are many good models.

But again, the basic business model employed by direct marketing generally affords a better return on investment

that all of the retail marketers only wish they could afford to do.