Midwest Klipsters

NOSValves

• 2 weeks later...

AK8.jpg

Hey, that looks like my back!

The Hartsfields did not work in this room, even with $200,000 list price of other equipment helping out. I heard more people complaining about the bad sound from this set-up than any other, and it was by far the most expensive arrangement.

And yet, the Hartsfields were better sounding than they were at the Lima audio show a couple years back.

I'd like to hear the Hartsfields in my living room. They just have to be a much better speaker than these motel rooms would lead you to believe. But I'd be surprised if they're worth $20,000 a pair. I don't see how they can be doing themselves any favors by promoting them in inadequate surroundings.

Craig's 3rd room, with the Heresies, was far more enjoyable. While some people listened to the Hartsfields, it was more as a novelty. They had never heard big speakers like that before. But in these motel rooms, littler speakers, even bookshelf speakers, made people happier.

I considered buying a ceramic Nipper, but will have to be content with my stuffed one.

LOL! Why didn't I think of that? Well, based solely on my two experiences with the Hartsfields, they are lousy speakers.

The room was about twice as deep as what is shown in the photo, although some of that was taken up by the bathroom.

Yea not to mention the guy controlling the VC was out of control. I can't imagine how bad those amps were vibrating sitting on the floor with those Hartsfield's a pounding away like he had them most of the time. Those speakers would literally shake the entire building! But hey its impressive right ^%*$^*)&_

This was room two all weekend. Kegger and AudioFlynn tweaked this room to perfection this was a very impressive sounding setup using VRD's, Peach, various sources and Klipsch RB 3.5 with a sub that I have no clue what brand.

=============

Kegger and I were pretty much in the same thought process for the room tuning. I had challenged Craig that VRD/Juicy Music is most times thought as a big speaker amp system. I was gong to have my RB-5s as the mains but my one RB-5 did a back flip off odf my hand truck in the parking lot and the driver detached from the horn. So we had the RB-35 as a back up thanks to Kegger. I had my lead filled Sanus 24 inch steel stands for firm coupling.

The sub design I prefer is 12 inch front firing sealed; faster than ported, but not as low in HZ. Mine is a very inexpensive model from Adire Audio, very similar to an M&K design.

We had all types of software availaible SACD, DVD-A, CD upsampled and LP.

The one LP laying on the sub in the picture is Carlos Santana "Blues for El Salvador"; no vocals just great Carlos and the band. Highly recommended!

The KLipsch reference bookshelf speakers are fine investments. Only one time in a powerful movement of a DVD-A Parrot brought of Holst "The Planets" did the VRDs push the RB-35 to where they gave up. THe SPL was reasonable for a large Heritage or Rfererence floor stander like the RF-5 or 7; but too much for the bookshelf RB-35. RB-5 may have fared better perhaps.

Small room, great tubes, Klipsch bookshelves and a properly restrained fast sub make for a very musical system.

Thanks to Mark and Craig for letting Kegger and I play...

IF you have a love of music but a small room

----------------

On 4/23/2005 10:10:10 AM DeanG wrote:

Looking at the size of the Hartfields in relationship to the room size, the room doesn't really look too small for them. Maybe they just aren't a very good sounding speaker.

----------------

The room size was probably not the major issue. The A7's at the beginning of this post sounded great in the same size room. Part of the problem (at least for me) was that he just had these way too loud! I could only sit there for about a minute at a time. The bass was incredible - I would rank the bass sound as being better than the Khorn. But the midrange and treble was ear piercing. Sibilance like you wouldn't believe. And there was really no reason that these should have sounded so bad. I looked in back, and I think he has the most expensive driver that TAD makes on the horn. It was huge! I kept wondering "why don't these sound better?" I think the answer is that it's his presentation of them. I don't think he's doing himself any favors by the way he is demoing these. Maybe the crossover was peaky. I'm not sure what the answer is, but by all rights these things SHOULD havd sounded incredible. And it made me happy to come home and listen to my el-cheapo Klipschorns!

Mark