Projector advice

ssh

I have been looking at projectors as well, both DLP and LCD. Under 2K, no question, the Panasonic PT-AE700U is the way to go as far as LCD. I also looked at the BenQ 7700 which is higher in cost(replaces the 8700 which is very highly regarded) The 7700 has improved performance AND is lower in price than its predecessor. It is an DLP projector and has HD2.

I have seen both and they are both incredible for the money. I am getting at 106" fixed screen from Carada (direct pricing and easily the best deal on screens).

The Panasonic had slightly better color and seemed sharper while the BenQ had a slightly brighter and smoother image (like Plasma vs. LCD). Both rock. I think these picture qualaties are inherent with each technology.

The best pricing that I have received on the Panasonic is $1950 shipped plus there is a $200 rebate until the end of April. The BenQ comes in at street pricing of around $2,700 but has a 3 year warranty vs. 1 year on the Panasonic. You can purchase additional warranty on the Panasonic for $199 which is not a bad investment IMO.

I received a bunch of quotes online and decided to go with the Panasonic. Let me know and I will send you to 'the guy' and save you some time.

I'm using a BenQ for my theater and really do like it. I chose the DLP projection over the LCD, based on the quality and life span of the unit. A new DLP projector bulb, although expensive, will basically bring the unit "back to life" after the original bulb goes. An LCD projector does not seem to have the life span and/or ability to be made "fresh" with just the bulb replacement. BenQ had offered an extra bulb rebate when I purchased, so I'm ready with a spare when I need it.

DVDs and HD cable programs are simply amazing through the DLP unit. Some have complained about DLP having a "rainbow" color effect in some areas of the screen (I'll let the others explain the true technical facts of what going on..) I'm able to ignore the minor details that rarely happen, and most other never notice at all. I only use my projector for the movies and HD... Non-HD broadcast is large, but not great to watch on the big screen.

If your just starting, keep in mind the distance you will want from the screen. Even with HD, sitting closer than 12ft to an 8ft screen isn't going to work (except for the Computer Video games!).

I agree, the InFocus 4805 is a nice unit. I have not viewed it, but it is very highly regarded.

Check out http://www.projectorcentral.com/ Tons of great info.

The Panasonic 700 and InFocus 4805 were 1 and 2 on the ratings for low cost projectors. LCD people will choose the Panasonic and DLP guys will want the 4805.

The Panasonic is a newer unit and has better brightness and resolution values, while the contrast is identical.

Good luck.

I agree, the InFocus 4805 is a nice unit. I have not viewed it, but it is very highly regarded.

Check out http://www.projectorcentral.com/ Tons of great info.

The Panasonic 700 and InFocus 4805 were 1 and 2 on the ratings for low cost projectors. LCD people will choose the Panasonic and DLP guys will want the 4805.

The Panasonic is a newer unit and has better brightness and resolution values, while the contrast is identical.

Good luck.

I bought the 4805 from TV Authority when Infocus was having their SuperBowl promotion. Very happy with the picture. Looks WAY better than $1K has any right to. Very little screen door effect, solid colors and plenty of brightness.

Dave H.

I bought the 4805 from TV Authority when Infocus was having their SuperBowl promotion. Very happy with the picture. Looks WAY better than $1K has any right to. Very little screen door effect, solid colors and plenty of brightness.

Dave H.

OOPS! I'll try not to double post again - soon as I figure out why it happened in the first place.

Thanks, guys. Your experiences confirm what I'm reading. I'll have to take half a day to drive a hundred miles each way to see a few units before I can make a decision.

I've read about fan noise with the Infocus4805,& the 5000 isn't mentioned in "top contender" lists.

SSH

Tubes Horns and Buds - Trying to msg you via the forum but am getting an error about invalid names... Am interested in your contact on the Panny PJ. Can you please contact me and help a fellow forumer out? That'd be awesome.

My email is drakedw and the domain is yahoo.com. Thanks a ton.

Doug

Doug,

Here is a copy of the first email I received from Derek at Projector Point. He is a really good sales guy and helped me out alot with all of the offerings out there. I hope this helps. Keith

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your interest in the Panasonic PT-AE700U projector. Our

Projectorpoint sale price is $1949 before $200 rebate. We now have a

limited number of units shipping with New Firmware 1.07!

Projectorpoint is an Authorized Panasonic dealer and Authorized

Panasonic Sevice Center. Please let me know if you have any questions

or would like to place an order.

Thanks,

Derek

www.projectorpoint.com

1-877-330-1991 x206

Infocus 4805 with 16:9 106" ultra flat white painted wall and yes it looks this good. And before you ask, the picture was lightened so you could see the room. That is the actual picture as you would see it.

The 4805 is 2 1/2 feet right above my head and I can hardly hear the fan noise during quite scenes. My Electrohome CRT's fan noise was very noticeable

HT30.jpg

• 5 years later...

We provide LCD Projector Lamps and DLP Television Bulbs. The brand : Akai, Bluesky, Clarity &Margay,Gateway,HITACHI,KOLIN,LOEWE ARTICOS,

MITSUBISHI,OPTOMA ,PHILIPS,SAGEM,SHARP,TOSHIBA,VIVITEK,WILDCAT,BARCO,CHRISTIE,ENVISIONTEC,GEMSTAR,JVC,LG/ZENITH,

MAGNOVOX,OLEVIA,PANASONIC,RCA,THOMSON,SAMSUNG,SONY,VIZIO,ETC. we can provide original bulb and replacement bulb.

If you want , please contact me. our web http://www.inmoul.com . Quality pledge.

Jerome Yang

extrablue.yang@gmail.com

MSN:yangjie821206@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...