Looking for single Heresy or Academy

from the owner of the Black Academy on ebay...

read the listing a touch closer...

Starting bid = $500 (RESERVE is $500, so at/above $500 it's gone)

BUT, for someone who sees (potential) bidding at $550 and wants to cut line, he can pay (key word) a PREMIUM.

I'm not suggesting it's worth that via the "market". I'm suggesting that if someone doesn't want to risk it, wants to shut everyone else out at his whim, then I don't think it's unreasonable that he has to pay "above the market" for that luxury... do you?

If so, please help explain to me because I might do this again.

Is it more "fair" that the BIN price be "the market price" (what ever that really is)?

Seems to me the "market price" is that which everyone should be able to buy/sell (in theory), so he who wants special conditions (BIN) has to pay for that.

Otherwise my reserve is in fact $500 which seems VERY much in the ballpark for which these have recently traded.

1.gif

and the food fight was a true story... there was (crisco based) icing in our hair, clothes, walls, table, floor, doors... it was just everywhere but we darn near died laughing after it was over.

11.gif

Then of course, we had to clean it up 15.gif

Get every penny you can. That is the eBay way for sure. I agree it is a free country and it is your equipment. No worries. I hop[e you get a grand for it.

I made a WTB listing for a pair of K-Horns and Fortes on Audiogon recently. I was contacted by two different sellers, both with mint equipment. Both could tell right away that I appreciate the quality of both sets and was eager to make a deal. We made deals that made us both happy.

The guy with the K-Horns is selling them to me for several hundred below market. My new forte buddy is driving two hours out of his way to help me out and sell at a fair price.

Both could have easily sold on eBay for more money but seemed just as satisfied helping out a fellow Klipsch guy and getting a fair deal for themselves. That is what makes the world go round. Hell, I sell stuff on eBay all the time and alot of times get more $$ than my stuff is worth. A sellers marker for sure.

I was not saying that you, the seller, were 'wrong' for adding a $750 BIN. I am saying that if $750 is market on an Academy, that is 'wrong' and you can count me out.

Good luck with your auction and future food fights.

nope, not trawling at all. You might notice that the two times I've spoken up about them was AFTER they were brought up here... Seems fairly reasonable that if I was pimping them, I'd brought them up myself?

I am well aware that folks here would see them without me ever saying a word so I wasn't going to say anything but felt some clarification might be in order since my reserve is $500 and didn't want that to be misconstrued that my reserve (ie, expectations) was $750. The $750 to put it more bluntly, is for the person in Ebay'ville who thinks he's more deserving than the others and wants to "cut line". I think it's fair he pay a premium over what it might otherwise bring.

For the record, I have zero expectations of getting $750. I had to pick a number so I did.

1.gif

My $ 0.02 If I had an all black Chorus/Forte HT set up and wanted/needed a black Academy to finish it off. I would pay 750 to get it done over a FREE heresy to go between my C or F. Sure they were 400 new but they don't make them any more. 500 is more then fair these days and a 650-750 BIN is the perfect price to make you consider the cost benefit of not waiting a week and losing out.

Don't say they are not worth 750 if you want your HT done right. 750 is peanuts when you consider all the other time, effort, energy and cost of the entire HT big picture. IMO you get the right set of speakers for your taste. Not the speakers that fit a certain dollar amount. That said if I had La Scala mains and heresy surrounds I would not take a free Academy over a 800 dollar pair of heresies. Do it once, do it right.

Let me rephrase: An Academy is NOT worth $750 to ME. Especially one in black with cake batter that the seller seems so proud of. And I really had no idea what they listed for nor do I care.

Now ship me that free Heresy pair that you were so eloquently babbling about.

BTW, what 6.1 receiver are you using in your HT setup?

I have three pair of Heresies which ones you want 2.gif

I have a Sunfire Theater Grand IV that I am using for a preamp and surround processor. I could not be happier with it. Long time fan of Carver, but since Bob sold Carver (I think he bought it back) and started the Sunfire thing I think he is currently producing his best work.. Not a cheap piece of gear, but like my academy back in 1994 when I was truly poor, I saved my pennies to buy what I thought was the best to my ears.

You probably are not interested, but in case you are. I have used an Academy as a center between Fortes for a long, long time and more recently between Choruses. F/A/F or C/A/C. Sounds great. If you are thinking of using a Heresy between Forte or Chorus and have heard it and like it great, enjoy, rock on. If you have not heard it drop ol Olorin a message or check the history on some of his posts because you might want to cross the Heresy off of your list. If you are looking to do something completely different with the H or A. Then Ill shut up now and mind my own business.

Finally, I did not look at the auction nor did I realize the Academy had cake batter on it. I revise my valuebuck and a half tops :-D All the rest of them are worth their weight in gold. Hmmm, 40 some pounds at 300 or so an ouncemaybe I would consider getting rid of mine.9.gif

Sunfire is great stuff, I agree. Big Bob Carver fan.

I will be using a NAD T763 as a preamp (6 channels of 300B tubes eventually) in for 6.1 in an all Heritage HT system with the exception of a sub from HSU Research. I thought that I would continue to use my trusy Onkyo 777 and would continue to do so if it had component video switching capabilities.

I am closing on a new home in a week and refinishing a walk-up attic that will measure 16x18. I will have Khorns as mains, Fortes as rears, and who the hell knows what as center and rear center. I was thinking Academy originally until the cake batter incident. Then I was thinking Heresy and now you have me scared. I will check out these posts that you were talking about.

I will be using a Panasonic PT-AE700U LCD projector and 106" fixed screen from Carada.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I saw your HT setup in another thread and it looks great. From the pics that I saw, you did an awesome job with that room. I can only hope that mine turns out that well.

----------------

On 4/9/2005 2:15:04 PM Tubes, Horns, and Buds wrote:

I am closing on a new home in a week and refinishing a walk-up attic that will measure 16x18. I will have Khorns as mains, Fortes as rears, and who the hell knows what as center and rear center. I was thinking Academy originally until the cake batter incident. Then I was thinking Heresy and now you have me scared. I will check out these posts that you were talking about.

I will be using a Panasonic PT-AE700U LCD projector and 106" fixed screen from Carada.

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I saw your HT setup in another thread and it looks great. From the pics that I saw, you did an awesome job with that room. I can only hope that mine turns out that well.

----------------

With the space provided by having a front projector (as opposed to a big-azz box RPTV), you have no choice but to use either Belles or LaScalas as front and rear centers. That center channel is where most of the sound from HT comes from, and I wouldn't think that an Academy center, with mighty Klipschorns as mains, would cut it for you.

BTW: Do you have a sub? Even though the K-Horns and Fortes are capable of prodigous bass, there is still another octave to which they are incapable of digging down: I would recommend, if you have the space, a pair of SVS PB12-Plusses (or Ultras!).

It's so much fun helping other people spend their money 1.gif

Before I obtained my Khorns, I was an owner of LaScalas with Academy center & front effects (Yamaha 7ch system) I'd agree that you might not really want the Academy for the center in between two Khorns

It might be better than nothing but now that I've obtained my Khorns, I've realized my Academy's might not be up to the task with THEM (khorns) as my new mains. As it was with the LaScalas, I seem to recall that I had the center channel cranked up REAL high to help compensate. (it's been in storage for 5-6 years so I don't recall all the details) But I DO remember that I wanted a bit more oomph from the Academy's when they were pumping their hearts out next to the LaScalas.

I make a wicked icing from scratch too 10.gif9.gif

Thanks for the replies everyone. It looks like my project is getting more expensive everytime I log on. I want to get it right for sure. I think I need a pair of La Scala to try for the centers. No way I can afford Belles at this point.

Anyone holding a pair???

If my better half really knew how much I am spending on my HT, AKA The Pimp Lair, I would be getting divorced.

And yes, I do have subs, a pair of HSU Research VTF-3 MK 2. They are a ridiculous value IMO.

----------------

On 4/9/2005 4:39:42 PM Coytee wrote:

I make a wicked icing from scratch too
10.gif9.gif

----------------

2.gif

T,H,B. You find the LaScalas or Belles (I would like WO Belle actually) and we will split them for centers up front. Then use all Heresies in the rear. I am actually working on the mounting this weekend to put the 4 Heresies in the rear (Sounds like you could use 3) Which will turn my 6.1 into 7.1. I have the same projector as you and a Carada screen. I went with brilliant white after getting samples from Carada. I thought I would go gray, but there are no black issues in my mind with that projector and screen. The gray just did not do it for me.

Good luck on the project.

----------------

On 4/9/2005 5:12:14 PM rplace wrote:

T,H,B. You find the LaScalas or Belles (I would like WO Belle actually) and we will split them for centers up front. Then use all Heresies in the rear. I am actually working on the mounting this weekend to put the 4 Heresies in the rear (Sounds like you could use 3) Which will turn my 6.1 into 7.1. I have the same projector as you and a Carada screen. I went with brilliant white after getting samples from Carada. I thought I would go gray, but there are no black issues in my mind with that projector and screen. The gray just did not do it for me.

Good luck on the project.

----------------

rplace,

Sounds like a plan. I would much rather have the Belle but am running out of money. If I only used one for the main center, I can make that happen. Since I already have the fortes, I am thinking:

Khorn/Belle/Khorn Forte/Heresy/Forte

Where are you located and what is the market price for a pair of Walnut Belles? We could split the Belle or La Scala and I would need to find a single or pair of Heresy in anything but black. Or I could sell the forte and go:

Khorn/Belle/Khorn Heresy/Heresy/Heresy

Either configuration should be a winner, I would think anyway.

I am glad you mentioned the screen color also. Deep black is the sole reason that I am leaning towards the grey.

Thanks-Keith