is it worth it

i am wondering if its worth it to drive 600 miles round trip to buy a pair of rf-35's for $575..they are used but in mint condition. (black)..the klipsch store here wont go no lower then $750 plus tax..i just bought a new car and i need to road trip it somtime and it wont run me anymore then $35 or $40 in gas for the trip...

----------------

On 4/8/2005 11:46:44 PM formica wrote:

No, it isn't.

It's too long for a just a joy trip... Car devaluation and gas eats up almost all your savings. sorry...

Rob
----------------

Get a friend to drive THEIR car and THEY pay for the gas. You can buy lunch at Taco Bell along the way 9.gif

Bob, why not, I do it all the time. Even if you use the IRS calculation of .40$ per mile you're only using $240 worth of vehicle for the trip. You say the car needs a break in and sounds like you're itchin to get out. WHY NOT??? Of course you have to assume that your time is worth nothing in this equation. So you're getting 30 MPG in the new ride- good job!

The stories of what we go through for Klipsch speakers is part of our enjoyment of them. It would be better if they were vintage Heritage (like the 1963 Cornwalls I flew to Florida and drove 1300 miles for), but it's up to you.

Michael

OLB,

Though it sounds like a reasonable plan, I would just wait until something closer appears nearer to you! Too many unknowns....i.e. what if the speakers aren't all there cracked up to be............problems on the trip ect........... just hold out young blood.

oneleggedbob,

I would call the salesperson at the retail store and tell them you were really impressed with the RF-35's but you can't see paying $750. Then tell him (or her) about the deal you've found and that you would rather buy from them, however this deal is to sweet to pass up. Ask them if they are willing to come down on the price to make the sale (also let him know that with tax it is going to cost you over $800). If they aren't willing to negotiate then they don't want your business--something tells me they NEED your business and will accommodate you. If not--Road Trip;-)

Something else to consider about the benefit of going to a dealer is you get the Klipsch 5 year warranty, plus you have negotiating power when you need to buy something else (after all you already bought these speakers from them--your part of their "business," family). Once you get a deal and have rapport with your salesperson, they are more apt to give you a deal in the future.

I also agree with BillH, about fear of the "unknown."

Good luck with your negotiations.2.gif

thank you for all the great advice..i decided that it was too much of a risk to drive all that way just to save a few bucks.not knowing what i might run into..i was wrong about the price at my local hifi store the $750.00 was for the rf-25's not the rf-35's..i dont have the cash for the rf-35's right now after my down payment for my new wheels..so and i know im going to catch the you know what from you forum members but i figure i can make some cash from the deal i found in the local paper and with what i make off this and what i have left over i should have enough to get me a nice pair of heresys ..i bought a pair of jbl nd310's a pair of jbl-n28's a n-center channel and a definitive technology pf 15tl+ sub...all is in like new condition i got all the factory boxes and manuals all for $300.00..so guys wife wanted it gone and told him the first person to come look at them make them an offer they cant pass on..plus by the looks of there pad they are not hurting for cash..i thought i could make a few bucks on these and put it towards some real speakers...please dont be too harsh on me...15.gif15.gif