Pleasantly Surprised � Chairman of the board and the Boss go nicely

rplace

Just got back from GaryMDs place. Everybody knows what a great guy Garry is, but worth repeating. Gary is a great guy. I picked up a piece of Sinatra memorabilia, but more importantly Gary lent me a turntable and a $hit load of LPs to see if I might rekindle an interest in vinyl. First out the gate was Immigrant Song by Led Zep. Seemed so much more Rich for lack of a vocabulary to describe it. Some pops and hisses but I need to figure out how to clean an album, as it really is a nice looking disc. I also bet my Sunfire/Khorn set up is a little more revealing then my Sharp Receiver and Techniques Turntable from the late 70s early 80s. While I really liked the sound I was not sure it was worth all the Effort CDs have made me so lazy. But then next song changed all that.

Let me start by saying I am not a huge Bruce Springsteen fan, but I do give the Boss his due. I dont turn the station when he is onbut he has not gotten rich off of the solo purchase of Born To Run on CD. I have probably heard Hungry Heart 1000 times in my life, parties on vinyl, radio, CD, you name it. From the very first 5 seconds I knew this was different. Way different. It was amazing. I dont know how to describe it except to say I liked itno I loved it.

Thanks, Gary

There is some Springsteen music I like, but my son and I have both listened to some Sprinsteen vinyl and find it to be thin sounding. All the music is there, but it just isn't "rich" sounding.

Glad it works for you.

Marvel

You're welcome Rich and many thanks for schleping me to the dump this morning! That was a HUGE favor! Rich is the kind of guy who'd give you his right arm if you asked.

Keep playing those LPs! You'll find they don't always play the way they look. Some of my best sounding albums look horrible and vice-versa. BTW - He's using my Thorens TD-165 with an almost new Shure V-15.

Great seeing you again and meeting Joe (shload). As always, the visits are too short. Looking forward to more get-togethers as the weather improves.1.gif

It was great to meet Rich and Gary this morning at Gary's. As expected both are great guys. I picked up one of the Sinatra pictures and a couple of albums. As Gary said "too short". Glad to hear the mattress stayed on the roof! Rich has stepped foot into the "Darkside", there is no going back now!! Hope to have a chance to meet up again.

Joe

Politics aside. I am just saying that for my first serious vinyl listen in over 20 years I liked what I heard. My only fear is that I now will spend every waking moment trying to find every LP in perfect condition ever known to man.

Not like that is a bad thing, Rich

Nope, he's a bass player! But Sheldon, Land, Perkins and Butler were all junkies if that helps. Counce was clean--never did ANY drugs and died of a heart attack at 34.

Just got back from hearing the Wayne Shorter quartet at Royce Hall (UCLA). Shorter with Danilo Perez on piano, Brian Blade on drums and John Patitucci on bass. What a GREAT show. Perez and Shorter had a synergy that was astounding. More later . . .

Gary, that Blue Note album you gave me was incredible! I saved it along with the Tull until the wife got home so we could listen together (I tortured myself in private with that Springsteen commie)just kidding. Also, I was pleased to find the John Menincamp Scarecrow LP sounded great. Like Springsteen I am not a huge fan dont own a single disc by him, but the richness and texture was nice. I did dig out some of those others you mentioned and they all sound great. It appears that on vinyl even if you dont like the style of music the fact that the music sounds sooooo good goes a long way.

Joe (Shload), my manners are terrible. I was so excited about my vinyl re-birth I forgot to mention how nice it was to meet you. Always cool to meet forum members. Even better when they are knowledgeable and nice. If you are ever in the northern MD area give me a yell you can teach me some more about Blue Note, MO FI, Jazz and we can take in a movie in my HT since yours is out of commission.

Thanks to both of you for a fun and educational day, Rich

Rich,

Glad you liked the Horace Silver LP! That's one of BNs biggest sellers ever. Now you know why!

Allan,

34 years old? What a shame. And he was clean to boot!

I'm not a fan of musicians or actors spouting their political views in public. In fact it nausiates me! Do they think we really care what their opinions are? Doesn't mean I won't listen to their record if I already own one. It would make me think twice however if I was thinking about buying a Pearl Jam LP. Now THERE'S a real a$$.