Khorn Dimension Question.

triode

I know that the front part of a Khorn is 31.25 inches wide, but that sits at an angle. I have a wall on a side of a door way that is about 27 inches wide. What is the dimension of a Khorn from the back of the speaker (where it fits into a corner) to the edge of the speaker? - Thanks

I think you're right that it touches the wall 22 inches, but if you to draw a straight line from the corner to the edge of the speaker it might be around 33 inches. That is, some of the speaker protrudes out from the 22 inches. Correct?

The 28" is the distance from the corner, i.e., the tip of the "home plate," to the front edge of the top:

LameKhornDrawing.jpg

In other words, from point "A" to a point half-way between points C and D. However, that line is at a 45-degree angle to either wall, and would fall slightly short of what the question intended, if swung over to one of the walls.

I believe there are actually two questions: (1) How far from the corner does a K-horn actually sit flush against the wall? The answer to that is 22", from point A to point B.

(2) How far along the wall does the farthest point of a K-horn's front reach, i.e., what's the minimum length of wall needed so that point C or point D doesn't nudge someone just after going through the doorway? I measured that distance by dropping an imaginary line perpendicular to the wall from point C, at 33".

Larry

OK, Larry (or anyone else) since you are the dimension guru, I have another question. I believe that the Khorn Bass Bin is 39.5 inches tall.

I am guessing that at there is maybe about 3/4 to 2 inches of framing on the top of this Bass Bin. So I am thinking that you may not need a wall that is 39.5 inches tall? - I am asking this specific question because I have a window ledge that is exactly 39 inches off the floor. So is this tall enough to accomodate the Khorn Bass Bin? - In other words what is the dimension of the highest open area of the Bass Bin to the Floor?

Thanks

----------------

On 4/15/2005 2:03:32 PM triode wrote:

OK, Larry (or anyone else) since you are the dimension guru, I have another question. I believe that the Khorn Bass Bin is 39.5 inches tall.

I am guessing that there is maybe about 3/4 to 2 inches of framing on the top of this Bass Bin. So I am thinking that you may not need a wall that is 39.5 inches tall? - I am asking this specific question because I have a window ledge that is exactly 39 inches off the floor. So is this tall enough to accomodate the Khorn Bass Bin? - In other words what is the dimension of the highest open area of the Bass Bin to the Floor?

Thanks

----------------

I just did some measuring on my 1962's, and I THINK dimensions haven't changed -- please someone correct me if that's not true! -- and came up with the following:

My bass bin tops out at 38.5 inches high. That would be its highest open area in the back if I understand you correctly.

There is no framing on the top of the bass bin, which is essentially bare by iteslf. What you see as framing is probably the bottom of the removable top hat.

That framing by the top hat is the very important component of the last stage of the bass horn (the one bounded by the wall and bass bin on the sides, the floor on the bottom, and the bottom of the top hat on top).

The window ledge question should be a little complicated: how far does it end from the corner? Also, is the 39" from the top of the window ledge or the bottom? For example, I have a window ledge that is about 3" too close to the corner, and I had to cut a little into the frame of the bass horn grill on that side to seat the K-horn firmly into the corner. That worked since the ledge is only 26.5" to 28.75" high off the floor -- I couldn't have done it with the top hat in place if the ledge were 39" off the floor, and I wouldn't want to do anything to the top hat!

My other K-horn is pushed out from the wall about 3/4" by a vertical door frame. A friendly neighbor built a wall by cutting and screwing in a rectangle of wood 3/4" thick that ran horizontally from the frame back to the corner, and vertically from the top of the baseboard to somewhere above the top of the bass bin. It sounds like you're thinking of something similar.

I not only would not make any such built-out wall any shorter than the top of the bass bin, but would make it tall enough to complete the seal, such as it is, between the wall and the bottom of the top hat. That, after all, puts the necessary roof on the last stage of the bass horn as mentioned above -- you don't want that open to the air.

Larry

Larry,

Thanks for your replies. Better than to decribe the corner that I talking about, I took a picture of it which is attached. What I have is a Corner with a window ledge taht starts 12 inches fron the corner. However, the Bottom surface of this ledge is exactly 39 inches off of the floor.

So, it seems to be tall enough to me to seal the Bass Bin? Correct?

post-15479-13819264050516_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 4/15/2005 3:18:54 PM triode wrote:

Better than to decribe the corner that I talking about, I took a picture of it which is attached. What I have is a Corner with a window ledge taht starts 12 inches fron the corner. However, the Bottom surface of this ledge is exactly 39 inches off of the floor.

So, it seems to be tall enough to me to seal the Bass Bin? Correct?

----------------

Hm, a rather high ledge. The bass bin would probably just fit under it (if that's carpeting), but I'm afraid the ledge would butt up against the top hat, and I don't think you want to disturb how the top hat fits on top of the bass bin. It would keep your K-horn from pushing flush against the wall and fully into the corner, by the distance the ledge protrudes beyond the wall. I really don't know how critical this is to bass response, or how much it wouldn't look right.

The ledge wouldn't seal up the bass bin top by itself.

Here's how the top and bottom part of one of my "B" style K-horns meets the wall:

TopHat-wallDSCN0814 web.jpg

Again, the bottom horizontal "frame" in the picture is actually part of the top.

One thing you might consider is to fasten a rectangle of wood to the wall, that's (1) the thickness of how far the ledge protrudes beyond the wall, (2) the height between the top of the baseboard and the bottom of the ledge, to be sure it reaches above the bottom of the top hat, and (3) a width of 22", to fully cover the wall behind the bass horn on that side but not be cosmetically offensive by peeking out like a showing slip, knowwhaddImean?

Hopefully someone else will come up with a great idea or that you won't have to do anything.

My $0.02 --

Larry

The only thing that protrudes from the wall is the Oak Trim that is over the edge of the ledge of the window. The Protrusion of the trim is maybe only 1/2 inch from the wall.

If the Khorn really needs to be 'sealed' against the wall, I'm surprised that most people here don't use weatherstripping between the speaker and the wall, as there are plenty of air gaps there I'm sure!

I have attached a picture of a Khorn that came from an article by Paul Klipsch, which looks like it has more problems than what we are discussing here. It looks like there are a bunch of drapes or blinds behind one side of the speaker. - Are we talking 'real' differences here? Or are we talking Speaker cable differences here?

post-15479-13819264051386_thumb.jpg

----------------

Are we talking 'real' differences here? Or are we talking Speaker cable differences here?

----------------

Beats me. EDIT: I got a modest amount of deeper and better bass by getting around the molding to move them fully into their corners and up against the walls (end edit).

Remember, the K-horn starts to angle away from the wall after 22" from the corner, so the sill in that pic could still clear the side grill (maybe). And the side grill frame would push the curtain against the wall (somewhat).

Although your question is core, many people have to adapt to such a large critter (me included) regardless -- and then there is the anality factor.

Larry

Looks to me like you could neatly cut the 1/2" piece of molding off just far enough out for the Khorn bass bin. I think mine sounded better the better I got them "sealed". I used the strip of rubber floor matting technique and a little weather close cell foam stripping to close up some of the gaps. I have a picture on the server somewhere, give me a minute and I'll find/post it.

Here it is. Note the one wall has some internally cut molding(non-woodworker terminologly), and about 2 feet up is a half inch peice of molding sticking out. With a little fiddling around, I've got a very tight seal now from top to bottom. Uhhm, we don't use those cabinets anymore. Actaully they were worthless, 2"deep. They are now permenantly shut!

Your dilema will be if that top piece of the bass bin will fit underneath that molding. If it does, you'd be in great shape.

Khorn26.jpg

----------------

On 4/15/2005 11:15:06 PM garymd wrote:

Scott,

I have cabinets filled with old paperwork behind my khorns. I just hope I don't need the deed to my house anytime soon!
6.gif
----------------

That's funny Gary. What we won't do for the perfect conrer placement!