Need advise on speaker wire for Quintet II

ssrp

I would like to buy a good speaker wire for my Quintet II with good pre-assembled connectors, as my little daughter would pull off the cables if I just put a loose connection.

I saw this Monster Cable on Amazon, seemed a bit expensive at $30 - but could not find any other similar product. Can someone let me know if this would work for my rear and center speakers? Are there any similar cheaper models available?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000069L69/103-4215781-4874203

I guess any 16-guage speaker wire would work, but are there any cables with pre-assembled connectors, atleast on one side?

For Quintets, should I just look for banana plugs or ask for any further specs while buying the cable?

I highly recommend going to parts express for the wire(partsexpress.com). you don't need to buy pre-assembled wire, you can make your own. Buy some dayton bannas(compression ones not crimp ones because they can't be reused) and strip the wire and put them on. If you HAVE TO buy prebuilt dayton does have those too, but they'll cost you more. Are you sure you want bannas though? I'll tell you right now. Maybe you should just use bare wire and tighten it down good?

scp53

I just taught my kids to leave the stereo equipment alone. The only thing that ever happened was my daughter pushed on the fabric of one of my JBLs and dented the dustcover/dome on the tweeter. We couldn't hear any difference, so we left it. The boys never touched them at all.

I wanted to use the clips to prevent the cable from oxidizing etc... For the side of Quintet speakers, I wanted to use the banana plugs and on the receiver side (Onkyo) - I wanted to use pins.

Thanks for suggesting PartsExpress. I found these two plugs there, are they good choices?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=091-330 (compression style)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=091-1165 (screw style)

The screw style seems to have more contact area than the compression style. Should I really be worried about the reusability of the plug as it is only a couple of bucks?

Assuming its of standard size it should fit most banana plug sockets.

I just wanted to second the PartsExpress (www.partsexpress.com) source.

Their house brand, Dayton Audio, interconnects are a 'best buy' if you aren't into making your own (and even if you are!), and their OFHC copper speaker wire is very competitively priced.

And if you watch, they run quite a few specials on some usable 'stuff'.

KT66 wrote:

"OK I have a question :

how do you get a pretty pic like that one to appear in-line rather than as an attachemnt you have to download ?"

---------------------------------------------------

There is alot of institutional memory on the link below and it's a good place to practice before you actually use it. However, be careful with this new power since large images can bog down on slow internet connections and cause alot of frustration for some people.

How to insert an image

----------------

On 4/12/2005 7:20:24 PM dragonfyr wrote:

Assuming its of standard size it should fit most banana plug sockets.

I just wanted to second the PartsExpress (www.partsexpress.com) source.

Their house brand, Dayton Audio, interconnects are a 'best buy' if you aren't into making your own (and even if you are!), and their OFHC copper speaker wire is very competitively priced.

And if you watch, they run quite a few specials on some usable 'stuff'.
----------------

Good advice all around.

Interconnects can be made for very small fraction of what you buy them for ready made. Even after you factor in the shipping costs it's still a bargain to make them yourself. The key is to have a very good (and hot) soldering iron.

My personal favorite speaker wire is the Carol Cable 14 and 16ga Pro Sound sold by Partsexpress. The outer jackets are tough and very flexible. The two conductors are each insulated within, easy to splice. AND it's made in the USA!!!