Future upgrade RF-7 setup to 7.1

pyroponic

Hello, seeing how I went a little overboard with my system to begin with, i'm going to chill out on doing anything new for a while. I'm just curious what I want to do next, most likely go to 7.1.

I'll most likely get a Rotel RB-1080 to power my mains, and use the RMB-1095 to power the rest of the speakers. My room is long and narrow, and there is definately enough room to put some rears in.

Some ideas i've been toying with:

a) Get another pair of RF-7's for the surrounds, move the RB-75's to the rear

B) Get a pair of RS-7's for the surrounds, move the RB-75's to the rear

c) Get another pair of RB-75's and run them in the surrounds and rear

d) Get two RC-7's for the surround, move the RB-75's to the rear

e) Keep the RB-75's in the surround, get two RC-7's for the rear

Personally putting some RF-7's in the surround with the RB-75's in the rear is my favorite. Since a minority of sound information is sent to the surrounds, i'm concerned that maybe RF-7's there would be a waste, maybe RB-75's all the way around in the sides/back would be preferable. Don't know too much about the RC-7 other than it being a good center and was wondering if it does a good job in the surround/rear? I read some of m00n's post and I must say I am interested.

I'm pretty sure rear speakers are best if they're direct firing so any future setup will most likely put the RB-75's in the rear. How would RF-7's compare to RB-75's or RS-7's in the surround? Like I mentioned before, I really am leaning getting another pair of RF-7's. Note that both music/HT are of equal importance to me.

Any feedback is appreciated.

John

I tried the RB-75's as side surrounds compared to my RF-3 Towers, but in my room I like the Towers more than the bookshelves. I would move the RB-75's to the back. I see the RF-3's are discontinued so you may be able to pick up a pair at a good deal--If not I would try to get the RF-5's at a good deal to use as your side surrounds. I watch alot of movies, but listen to more music and this set up works fantastic for me. Hard to beat Towers all the way around.{edit:I also have a small room with a high ceiling.YMMV.}

Wouldn't four matched speakers (e.g. RB-75) in the surrounds and rear be ideal as opposed ot having say RF-5's in the surround and RB-75's in the back? Or does the RF-5 match up with Reference 7 series speakers well? I probably would prefer towers on the side, but I suppose having four of the matched speakers which also match the R/C/L well would provide benefits that the RF-5's couldn't provide, but i'm not sure.

----------------

On 4/13/2005 10:56:35 AM pyroponic wrote:

Wouldn't four matched speakers (e.g. RB-75) in the surrounds and rear be ideal as opposed ot having say RF-5's in the surround and RB-75's in the back? Or does the RF-5 match up with Reference 7 series speakers well? I probably would prefer towers on the side, but I suppose having four of the matched speakers which also match the R/C/L well would provide benefits that the RF-5's couldn't provide, but i'm not sure.

----------------

I am very anal about my HT and have tried ALOT of different situations. IMO All of the Reference speakers mentioned match well and I for one enjoy the power of towers. The RF-3 and RF-5's have the same size woofers as the RC-7 and RS-7's.

The RC7's as surrounds would be the most consistent with the RF 7's as they have the same horn and tweeter. But all ideas would be just awesome. Your tax return must have been a chunk o' change as much as you're dropping on the HT lately. I can't help but be a little envious.

Yeah I won't be doing this upgrade for a while (4-5 months? hehehe) But yeah, I do feel very lucky about my situation because I am only a 21-year old college student who plays online poker part-time for a job. Take a look at my blog in the signature if you're interested.

I can't help but be a little envious.

Why? You have a very nice setup, in fact that's what I think of most members who post on this board. I was orignally going to get the SVS PB2+ (from my research this is a ****ing beast!!) but my friend gave me a great deal on RSW-15 which I couldn't turn down, plus it matched the rest of my system.

You know, it doesn't really matter what the cards are. The reason is because over a long-term distribution of hands, you can expect everyone to get roughly the same hands. So although luck is a huge short-term variable, in the long-run the player with the most skill will inevitably take a weaker player's money, because bad players a) they play too many hands and go to far with them, and B) they are prone to make huge mistakes and bad decisions which a good player can exploit.

I don't tell many of my non-poker playing friends that I play, but most think it's pure gambling such as roulette, craps, etc. I just wanted to clear up if anyone thought poker was like those games as well.

I like A or C personally.

I have KG5.5s all around in my setup and I haven't been happier since I switched my old Yamahas out for them.

5.1 movies really opened up, but multi channel audio like SACD and DVD-A really shine with identical speakers.

If you can't get the RF-7s, I would probably go with the RB-75s for the surrounds. They should go down plenty enough (mid to low 40s?). Besides, the low stuff the sub will pick up anyways.

Nice setup by the way.10.gif