Build new boxes or buy new speakers??

KMyers

do you like the sound of your speakers?

Perhaps you might consider finding someone to build you new cabinets. I know the local tweeter here will build them for about $100, which would be cheaper than selling and buying new speakers (unless of course you plan on upgrading).

What a wonderful and rare opportunity. "Honey I HAVE to get new speakers, Poochie has ruined these. Can I have the credit card or would you like me to open a new account if they have interest free financing at the Audio Emporium?"

Build a fence around your new RF-7s though, luck like this doesn't happen twice.2.gif

Rick

I wanted to build new boxes out of like birch or oak plywood and then stain them with the black ash? But im not sure how to build them with out showing screw holes? I have built lots of speaker boxes before but i allways use MDF and laminate! And we now no MDF dont hold up. 15.gif

Can you post a pic of what the cabinets look like? Just a single one would be fine.

Are these a pretty straight forwarad box design? If so, there are a couple of ways to go about it.

1. Top/bottom and sides are butt joints. Easy to make, then you veneer to make pretty.

2. The corners are mitered (cut at 45 degrees). You can screww glue blocks on the insife of the cabinet. No veneering required, but harder to do.

Im not real sure how to post pics on here? But they are pretty straight forward design. They are 38" tall 10.25" wide and 12.75" deep and they are black ash. They have two 8" woofers and a horn. I dont really want to use MDF just cuz it dont hold up,and if im going to spend the money to build them out of birch,i dont want to have to cover them with veneer. Im wondering how a biscuit and glue would hold?

Do you want new ones to be black as well?

You could use small nails to attach the pieces. With good glue, they will hold, and the black finish will cover the small, filled nail holes.

Biscuits should work too.

If you have the tools, this should be an easy box to make.

Pull one of the woofers out of the one that is messed up and see if it is a round hole or shaped funny. Then you can see how the box is made internally. Isn't this a vinyl covered cabinet and not real wood on the outside?

Biscuits should work just fine; however, if you prefer to use screws you can use those square drive construction type trim screws. Besure to drill a pilot hole as well as a countersink. The countersink should be somewhat smaller than the screw head (I use 3/16ths bit for countersinking and that might well be larger than necessary). After countersinking use a sharp blade to lengthen your screw holes in the direction of the wood grain and fill with Dap or someother wood fill. If you are carefull in how you fill the screw holes (be careful with your fill colors as some fills will accept more stain than others), it becomes difficult for others to spot them after you have put a finish on your boxes. I think the plywood heritage boxes look great, they look like what they are. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Tubby

Look at the strips that are used on the inside of the Cornwall (this was posted by BEC). If you cut 3/4" strips from 3/4" ply, you can put screws through from the inside to hold the pieces together. Nothing will show on the outside.

Same for attaching the back. This is how my Heresy IIs are put together, except they used staples and glue. It is very solid.

cornvert.jpg

Yeah i may try something like that? Im going to try a couple things and see what works better. I have a air brad nailer, i may use biscuits and glue and brad's? I dont think brads would show up under blach ash stain. Thanks for all the help im really going to need it2.gif Thanks again!!! If i can figure out how to post pics i will post some before and afters of the boxes!