Denon 3801 vs Denon 3802

D-Rex

I'd say this is a minimal upgrade,I had the 3802/03/05,you would need to go to the 03 minimum(trigger,more flexable settings) and really the 05 for a considerable upgrade.That said the 3802 is a good solid(if not a little flat)avr,dependable and cuttin' edge for its price at the time.

----------------

On 4/19/2005 12:27:24 AM fastlane wrote:

If you get a good deal on the 3802, I might be interested in your 3801 if the price is right. It would be an upgrade over my current Onkyo.

----------------

Fast lane,

Shoot me an e-mail at drex46@yahoo.com and we will see if we can make a deal. Shipping might not be overly excessive since I am in Oklahoma and you are located in Misissippi but, the Denons are heavy equipment!

Everyone,

As far as the features, what features would the 3802 have over the 3801. I am trying to determine if it is worth the extra $100 for the 3802. Since it is a local pick-up shipping is not a factor.

Thanks,

Dallas

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=57

From this web site, I see that with the 3802 you gain 5 sets of composite and S vid inputs vs only 2 composite with the 3801, so you can hook up more video sources.

the 3802 features its own bass management with assignable hi and lo pass filters (so that on every source, your sub and mains interact the same)

the 3802 features 5 and 7 channel 'stereo' modes so you can blast all speakers without any delays added.

Please note that the power ratings are at 1kHz ( not 20 Hz to 20 kHz) so they are not rated at full bandwidth. You're probably looking at a realistic 70 watts per channel.

Looks like the zones work the same, you can assign channels 6 and 7 to the second zone and directly drive another set of speakers with another source- pretty cool.

DOn't know about the various DSP modes, but 3802 adds Dolby II, they both have DTS.

Surely there are some Denon fans out there who could give you more help than I can. Anyone???

Michael

----------------

On 4/19/2005 9:44:34 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

From this web site, I see that with the 3802 you gain 5 sets of composite and S vid inputs vs only 2 composite with the 3801, so you can hook up more video sources.

the 3802 features its own bass management with assignable hi and lo pass filters (so that on every source, your sub and mains interact the same)

the 3802 features 5 and 7 channel 'stereo' modes so you can blast all speakers without any delays added.

Please note that the power ratings are at 1kHz ( not 20 Hz to 20 kHz) so they are not rated at full bandwidth. You're probably looking at a realistic 70 watts per channel.

Looks like the zones work the same, you can assign channels 6 and 7 to the second zone and directly drive another set of speakers with another source- pretty cool.

DOn't know about the various DSP modes, but 3802 adds Dolby II, they both have DTS.

Surely there are some Denon fans out there who could give you more help than I can. Anyone???

Michael

----------------

Thanks for going through that with me! I also noticed this on the 3802 but not on the 3801: "Dolby Pro Logic II decoding with Cinema and Music Modes." What is this, just another way to utilize the surround sound speakers?

How important would that additional bass management be?

That zone thing has me confused at the moment. How does that work? Can I have my main speakers be on DVD with my watching a movie in the living room while having the second zone on stereo pumping tunes out to my back patio, or bedroom, etc? (I obviously don't utilize that feature on my current 3801...)

ahhh, now we're getting somewhere

Thanks for going through that with me! I also noticed this on the 3802 but not on the 3801: "Dolby Pro Logic II decoding with Cinema and Music Modes." What is this, just another way to utilize the surround sound speakers?

PLII is another surround mode, don't know when it comes into play, but it's one better than PL, and not as good as DTS. so yes, better surround for say VHS movies or DVD without DTS, in the case of my Yamaha (prob Denon too), the receiver will 'remember' which your preferred surround mode is for each input choice, and/or automatically switch when a DVD sends it's 'flag' as to what it's best mode is.

How important would that additional bass management be?

Depends on your speaker arrangment. I think it would be like the switching on your DVD player, except being in the receiver, it would work with phono, CD, FM, etc. So if you have full range speakers, no big deal, If you have smaller speakers and sub, very big deal.

That zone thing has me confused at the moment. How does that work? Can I have my main speakers be on DVD with my watching a movie in the living room while having the second zone on stereo pumping tunes out to my back patio, or bedroom, etc? (I obviously don't utilize that feature on my current 3801...)

Some zones just give you an additional preamp output (used to be called rec out), then you hook up another amp and speakers to another room, presto two stereos for the price of one. With 7.1, lots of people still use only 5.1 channels of amp, so you've got two left over, as you say, you can switch the input selector for Zone 2, engage those two extra amps, and be listening to CD in the kitchen while the main system plays 5.1 movie soundtrack. Nice feature if you use it.

Michael

I do not have the Denon 3801 but do have the Denon 3802. I know the 3802 has on screen display..(always a bonus, that I believe was not an option on the 3801 if I remember right.) I did A vs B them at the time of purchase, very subjective I know at the store and I thought the 3802 set flat on both units had a little more bottom end.

I also would compare and re check the surround modes...I think it also had the Dolby Digital (also known as Pro Logic II) and DTS ES. Both add the 7.1 sound to your movie experience that is over regular 5.1.

Last, I think the 3802 at the time was a very solid..(I can agree it is very heavy also.) well built machine. It is very flat sound wise. My only major beef-complaint is the remote MUST start in AMP mode.. And they wait (I am not kidding you) till like page 42 or something like that in the manual to explain this. Do not buy either unit without the manual, you will get lost and frustrated. Where on any Yamaha, even today, I can literally flip exactly almost intuitively and get it right at the get go. Some people like the clean ness of the 3802 I see on audiogon and other sites and buy better amps later but they like still the processing of the 3802.

My 2 cents.

3802 in the basement HT, for now.

----------------

On 4/19/2005 7:22:45 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

I do not have the Denon 3801 but do have the Denon 3802. I know the 3802 has on screen display..(always a bonus, that I believe was not an option on the 3801 if I remember right.) I did A vs B them at the time of purchase, very subjective I know at the store and I thought the 3802 set flat on both units had a little more bottom end.

I also would compare and re check the surround modes...I think it also had the Dolby Digital (also known as Pro Logic II) and DTS ES. Both add the 7.1 sound to your movie experience that is over regular 5.1.

Last, I think the 3802 at the time was a very solid..(I can agree it is very heavy also.) well built machine. It is very flat sound wise. My only major beef-complaint is the remote MUST start in AMP mode.. And they wait (I am not kidding you) till like page 42 or something like that in the manual to explain this. Do not buy either unit without the manual, you will get lost and frustrated. Where on any Yamaha, even today, I can literally flip exactly almost intuitively and get it right at the get go. Some people like the clean ness of the 3802 I see on audiogon and other sites and buy better amps later but they like still the processing of the 3802.

My 2 cents.

3802 in the basement HT, for now.

----------------

THe 3801 does have on screen display which I have found to be very helpful! I don't think I could live without it now...

As far as the remote goes, I am finally used to it and sorta like it's functionality now. I know about 1/10th what I need to about it and the receiver but that's about how I operate through everyday life, why change now?!? ;-)

Thanks,

Dallas