AK-2 crossover on Khorns?

smuttynose

Network, crossover, divider, filter are all relative terms.

Klipsch changed from the AA network when they started using the K-55M midrange. The AK-2 is not a bad network, but it is not one of their finer moments. It is easy to upgrade the AK-2 to AK-3 functionality and only involves swapping three parts on each network. I would suggest that first.

Before going to an AA I would update the AK-2 to the AK-3 functionality, or have DeanG build you a DHAXover, which is a Type A network with a midrange bypass circuit, and it maintains a constant impedance to the amplifier as does Al Klappenberger's Type A network.

You must be looking at the ALK's for sale on eBay. Those won't go too cheap I would think.

Frzn, I think he is looking at the AA networks on ebay. I saw them and was thinking of bidding to send of to Dean, BEC or the like. If I remember correctly somebody will make the AA into a version that can be switched between A and AA. My understanding that AA was a version implemented as solid state stuff broke onto the scene with high power. The AA I believe is a safer version of the A...but I could be wrong. Someone chime in here if I am way off.

Anyway I have AK-2s and thought for the right price having an AA or A to play with might be worth a listen to. Can anyone tell me I off base here or not? If A/AAs are not at all intended for khorns equiped with drivers requiring AK-2s I would like to know.

I was trying to offer him other options, in looking at those ALK's they appear to have the ability to easily switch autoformer taps and are bi-ampable since they have the hand made jumpers in them. Not sure if these are Al's convertible models that can be switched to A's.

Either way, they aren't gonna go cheap is my point. I am watching them too!

You are probably in fact looking at Bob's networks if you are looking on eBay. Bob also makes the convertible version where you can switch between the A and the AA by moving a jumper. Pretty cool idea really.

As far as which network to use? I like the sound of first order networks like the Type A and DHAxover. Because of this, Al K. says I apparently like the sound that comes from drivers interfering with each other. Well, I guess that's the downside of a low order filter, but it sure sounds good to me! The Type A sounds smoother with a bandpass in it, and a little change in the tweeter filter. At any rate, make sure you use the biggest, most wickedly expensive yellow caps you can afford. You know my motto: The better it looks, the better it sounds. 9.gif

DeanG,

I'm with you on the slower rate crossovers. While Al is correct with the overlap issue, I don't think it is that big of a problem with the Khorn.

With the crossover somewhat near the mid horn cutoff the overlap diminishes considerably, unlike direct radiators under similar conditions.

Plus one can only hear the interference by constantly moving around while listening. I have found that twisting the Khorn as little as an inch can produce remarkable results in the sound stage. Meaning it is easy to move yourself from an area of diminished (cancellation) to one of enhightened response due to the interference patterns.

With sharp crossovers one has a tendency to hear individual drivers as opposed to a larger sound image.

I am not trying to say that each crossover type does not have it's own advantage. They do. I too like the original Khorn type of sound and have never had anybody who came over to listen complain about driver overlap. They always seem to be blown away by the open, clear sound.

Just my two cents worth!

Being a xover know-nothing. I am looking for a little education. Do certain crossovers only work well with certain drivers? That is will a set of AA xovs on ebay work, (good or bad, mind you...but work) in my 87 khorns that currently have AK2s, or am I asking for problems?

I was guessing (perhaps wrong) that when drivers changed a little they changed the crossovers a little, thus the A, AA, AK, AK-2, AK-3, etc. I understand that rebuilding a 20 year old xover with new "fresh" parts and getting it back to original specs is probably going to yield some sonic improvement. However, will changing from and AK-2 to AA be out and out wrong/harmful or simply something I may like better or may not like better?

I have heard many (not all) like As over AAs. I have heard more bad then good about AK1s. AK2/AK3s get mixed likes and dislikes with several suggestions to make the AK-2 into an AK-3. I gather the AK-4 is a great crossover but needs different drivers as a total package. Am I right or wrong with these generalizations or some of both?

Thanks, Rich

BTW this is the AAs I was looking at and good guess the original poster was too. Don't Think they are Bob's:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5768634607

Nope those are originals with NO mods. You can use the AA's in your '87's but I think what you have in there would sound better. Klipsch changed from the AA to the AK when they changed the midrange to the K-55M.

I would not use those as is, if anything send them to Bob C. to be recanned and tested. Keep in mind the costs of the networks plus the rework.

The cheapest route is still going to be for you to upgrade the three components in each AK-2 to bring them to AK-3 functionality.

Frzn, Thanks for the info. I do realize those are stock AAs. I think the other were guessing at what they were based on the message traffic. That is why I included the url. I also was pretty sure BEC was not selling them. My only motivation to buy them would be:

1. They might be better then my AK-2s as is (not likely)

2. They could be reworked by BEC/Dean/others to be As which I hear many people like over the AAs and some other version of Klipsch crossovers. This assumes As are an OK swap for my drivers, thus my earlier post about swapping completely different lines of crossovers. I am "crossover-ly challenged" I don't know what they do, but if it can make my speakers sound better I am all for a change. Hard to define "better" I know.

3. They could get me by so I don't go speaker-less for several weeks while I employ Dean/BEC/others to alter my AK-2s into someting else. If I go that route.

Bottom line they would need to be cheap for me to want to take the effort to swap them out for a test listen. Looks like my AK-2s are all hard wired. Not an easy swap like my 85 Heresies with E2s - that looks pretty simple. I would guess now that so many people know about them they won't go cheap anyway. Surely they have a lot of value to a person that already has AAs and wants to have work done, but not go without speakers.

So who can tell me if AK-2s to AAs is a ridiculous waste of time/money or if it is actually not advised due to some reason I dont know about (i.e. damage)? Also do AA parts alone make an upgrade from AK-2 to AK-3 financially viable? Do AA parts do anything for me or should I just get Dean to make me something from scratch. Should I just leave well enough alone for a while and enjoy my music

2.gif9.gif