Sunfire Subs VS.?

Hardhitter

I am finally looking into replacing my sub! I have read everything that you all have to say about SVS and Klipsh. But I was wondering what you all thought about Sunfire Subs? Does anyone have any ears on with them? And also I was looking into Velodyne.

Second part of the question is, what do you loose by going with the 13" cube Sunfire offers? Does the huge power of the Sunfire make up for the size? Or do you loose alot without the size?

I do have to admit that SVS makes one of the most beautiful subs I have seen!

Thanks for your inpput.

The Sunfire subs are amazing, especially the Sunfire Sig. There

advantage is there performance for their size. The EAR can give

you the best review since he own many sunfire and most others. I

went with the Mark IV and was extremely impressed. Talk about

slam from movies. I don't think you would be at all dissapointed

if you pick one of these up.

RSW 12/15 should be the first choice for an owner of the r7 speaker series. If space is limited Sunfire and Velo's DD series are best. SVS are pretty huge boxes or tubes.

These models give you plenty of bass (no comparison to your current KSW) but are very different in size so you have to decide which one you want to put in your room.

I can only speak for the Sunfire Signature sub. It has powerful output of real deep bass for that tiny box. I did not regret my purchase and can recommend it to everyone who wants powerful bass without large boxes (or tubes) in the room.

I think it will not take a long time until THE EAR comes over and gives you useful insight about the other models you asked for.

I agree that it would be nice to have the Klipsch that will match the output of my R7 package. I read alot of good reviews about the musical side of the RSW, but I have also seen alot of post with people that have problems with them. Everything that I am looking at so far is in the same price range, so that is not an issue. As well as size is not an issue either. Just want the best sub for the money I am going to spend.

Now on the other hand, if I am going to loose deep sound, I would rather stay with a large sub. But I don't want the boom that my KSW has. That is one reason that I was looking to go with the smaller sub. Do you feel that the RSW12 or 15, or the SVS's in that size are boomy?

Got the cash, just need a few sujestions!

Thanks

----------------

On 4/21/2005 6:45:55 PM Hardhitter wrote:

Do you feel that the RSW12 or 15, or the SVS's in that size are boomy?

----------------

None of the subs that you are considering will sound boomy once the phase is set correctly and the sub is calibrated to your system.

On 4/21/2005 6:45:55 PM Hardhitter wrote:

Just want the best sub for the money I am going to spend.

----------------

Bang for the buck, you can not beat the internet direct sales approach of SVS. DIY is about the only thing that comes close.

I agree.

Short of going with the Velodyne servo driven HDS18 Series2 or the DD18 for their high efficiency & low distortion & low frequency extension(for a price!), I like the powered SVS PC-Ultra's. It's hard to beat their bang for the buck.

For what they are worth, a web search will return quite a few good reviews of the SVS units. Take a look as they offer lots of comparative opinions regarding them and various other competitors that may help.

Additionally, SVS provides a 45 day trial period whereby you can return them if not delighted, so you don't have to worry about being stuck with something that doesn't fit your needs.

Oh, and the SVS footprint is actually about the same or smaller then most other traditional 'box' subs, but they are taller. If that helps...

So many choices! But that's what makes it fun!9.gif

Oh, and one more off the wall concern. I was initially a bit concerned regarding whether my cat would take to the SVS as a sratching post! But after enjoying the 'game' of freezing the cat in his tracks on numerous occasions due to the sub's response, this has NOT proven to be a problem! In fact, the various large subs are about the ONLY things in the house that the cat seems to defer too! Quite an accomplishment in itself!9.gif

Hardhitter,

I have heard the Sunfire subs. They are outstanding for their size. They use very high power amps and long excursion woofers. Their EQ models have a reputation for excellent sound quality, although I have not heard one.

The Velodynes are excellent, but may have reliability issues and are spendy.

I have an RSW-15 to use with my Reference 7s. It has more output than I can use without doing damage to my home.

SVS has an excellent reputation. Tom V is a regular contributor to the Sound and Vision forum. They are good at communication and work with prospective customers to answer any reasonable question.

The new Klipsch Synergy subs look interesting, especially the 12 inch model.

Bill

----------------

On 4/23/2005 8:19:01 AM dr-dezibel wrote:

Seems like THE EAR is on vacation or probably retired?

----------------

3.gif

Now yet and far from retired.I have all my subs just ran out of space to put more and buying more is pointless.I lost the subwoofer sickness.As my participation here shows.

Sunfire Signature and Mark II subs as well as the newer EQ series are the most potent compact subs made.They are very capable to 25Hz and to 20Hz for the Signature.When space is at a premium the Sunfire has only velodyne as a serious competitor(SPL and HGS(now DD)).

Have all the Sunfires(save for the newer ones)and also dual Carver KS subs.All Bob carver designs,all very capable.

However the much larger SVS dig deeper and will sustain a higher SPL down deep.

----------------

On 4/23/2005 8:50:23 PM TheEAR wrote:

----------------

On 4/23/2005 8:19:01 AM dr-dezibel wrote:

Seems like THE EAR is on vacation or probably retired?

----------------

3.gif

Now yet and far from retired.I have all my subs just ran out of space to put more and buying more is pointless.I lost the subwoofer sickness.As my participation here shows.

Sunfire Signature and Mark II subs as well as the newer EQ series are the most potent compact subs made.They are very capable to 25Hz and to 20Hz for the Signature.When space is at a premium the Sunfire has only velodyne as a serious competitor(SPL and HGS(now DD)).

Have all the Sunfires(save for the newer ones)and also dual Carver KS subs.All Bob carver designs,all very capable.

However the much larger SVS dig deeper and will sustain a higher SPL down deep.

----------------

good tohave you back!