What are some good Pc games?

wheelman

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've enjoyed the "Thief" series, that would be considered a 1st person "sneaker" with sound sensitive AI and dimmly lit areas to hide in. Great story lines and plots with objectives, in a Medieval setting with some uncommon weapons. Witty AI dialect. Fairly easy learning curve.

I also like adventure/puzzle games like the Myst series that are laid back, but challenge your mind with no pressure to survive. Excellent graphics and sounds where one can get lost in another world.....until dinner.

I believe Deus Ex to be somewhat similar to Thief.

• 3 weeks later...

Add FEAR ro this list,FEAR has the best graphics and a creepy mood not matched b any game.The sounds in FEAR are amonng the top 3 best in games! To fully enjoy FEAR you MUST have at least a P4 3GHz or a A64 with 1GB of RAM a video card of at least a 6800GT or more/X800XT class or faster.Good sourround speakers like the Klipsch Ultra5.1's and a 20inches or more monitor and play in the dark at night! [6]

Anything less and you do not have the hardware to enjoy this game. On my updated A64 4800 dual core/4GB ram/dual 7800GTX 512MB system w X-Fi Elite Pro...this game is spectacular at 1600*1200 all detail and features maxed! A horror fest,this is also the game that will tax like none other a system,Doom3 and HL2 are jokes,this one needs a monster PC.

I was looking into FEAR. Could I squeak by with my 1gig ram, 2.1 AMD processor, 6600gt vid card? I am looking to getting a new LCD monitor. Not sure to go with a 17 incer or 19 incher. Then either a Klipsch 2.1 setup or 5.1 and I will be in business ( gotta get a sub!) for now. I will probally update my entire computer come springish, or summer when the processors fall a little in price.

With 1GB of RAM...sure,with a 2.1 AMD ...if it is the 2100XP...not too good but will work,now a 6600GT again only at 800*600 detail set to medium.

To play at 1024*768 detail maxed you need a A64 3500 or more,a X800XT or a 6800GT.Anything 1600*1200 and we are talking a serious SLI(dual 6800Ultra or more) or Crossfire(X1800XL or more).

This game is a graphc monster

If you're looking for an immersive graphic experience then I would

highly recommend world of warcraft...the only downside is you have to

pay monthly (it is strictly an online game)...

I actually have a copy for sale because I didn't realize you had to pay

per month and I simply can't afford that with my college budget (never

even installed the bloody thing). I'd be willing to sell it off at a

discounted price so as to try and regain some of my wasted money on it

[:(]

There are soooo many great pc games that there just isnt enough time to list them all. But, here are a few.

1. Battlefield 2 - great war first person shooter.

2. Quake 4 - excellent graphics and overall great gameplay.

3. Half life 2 - same as quake 4

4. Worl of Warcraft - Very nice Rpg, Very nice graphics (downside is it requires a subscription to play)

I hope these help you. The only other thing about these games is that they require at least 1gb of ram or more. Anything less and the graphics, sound, and gameplay will suffer greatly.

• 1 month later...

Anyone ever play the Myth series? The Fallen Lords or Myth II are

really cool and there's a huge community of Myther's with massive

amounts of maps and conversions. I played this game online for like 6

years. Loads of fun I think it's considerd to be an RTS real time

strategy game.

Asking others, "what are some good games?" is like asking, "what CD's should I get to listen to".

Like audiophiles, you begin in one genre and accept others over time.

First a disclaimer. Buying PCs suck. A fast one is expensive and a slow one is frustrating. They technologically depreciate faster than cars. Games today are very expensive because they don't run on yesterday's system. Now that the generational change from AGP to PCI-express is in full force, a simple component upgrade is not possible. Buying FEAR for $50, may end up costing 2grand.

Let me offer some games of the past by genre. Most of these games are 3 to 5 years old and should play on anything that that can comfortably run XP with non-integrated video. The other nice thing is that these games are now very cheap.

First person shooters (FPS).

The original Doom - to see where it all started

Quake 2 - Same creator of Doom (Carmack) with cleaned up graphics

Lara Croft series - crappy interface (no mouse) but fun story line, especially if you're using a 10 year old win95 system.

The original Half-life - back when a game took months to play, not just a long weekend.

Return to Castle Wolfenstien - Very good FPS with very smooth gameplay.

Deus Ex - A freeform storyline with alternate gameplay based on the choices you make in-game.

No One Lives Forever - just a fun 'female James Bond' game with great humor. One of my faves.

Max Payne - another fun adventure. Introduced 'bullet time' which slowed down gameplay during heavy shootouts.

Solder of Fortune - graphics that tried to gorify the art of body dismemberment with shotguns. Fun & simple gameplay

Medal of Honor - AI team as you make your way through WWII. D-Day was a ***** to get through.

Several others, but this list would keep you busy for several months.

Sim Strategy - Games that take days from your life
Civilization 3 - Like most of sim games, a balance of production, economics, and war. Typical game takes a couple days.
Rise of Nation - Like Civ3, but plays quickly from throwing rocks to slinging a-bombs in the span of about 45 minutes.
Sims - Like playing virtual house. Typically loved by the women of the household.

Race games
Grand Theft Auto - They're all good and currently highly controversial. Weak storyline but fun gameplay. My fave was 3
Mafia - similar to GTA but a true career path storyline where you start as a driver for the mob in the '20s and move up.
Need for speed series - Emphasis on the ricer movement where you take a 15k honda and make it worth 100k by winning races.
Re-Volt - a race game where you control remote-control cars and the house is your racecourse. Up to 8 person multi-play.

Flight games.
Airfix Dogfighter - similar to Re-volt but with airplanes. Can be multiplayed with 1 opponent
Crimson Skies - dumbed down version of complicated flight sims that typically make you memorize every key on the board.
Longbow - a simple helicopter sim for your new joystick.

Roleplay - dungeons&dragons type stuff
Warcraft, Guild and others have been mentioned by others. Personally, I like Dungeon Siege.
Morrowind - singleplayer only. Another game that will take months to play as you build up your characters strengths and charisma.

LAN-party multi-play - My absolute favorite way to play. 2-to-8 close buds in the same basement setup - drinkin' and killin'.
Serious Sam - absolutely no thought process involved. just shoot for 4 hours straight. Leading cause of carpal tunnel.
Tom Clancy Rainbow6 series - Most fun I ever had playing. Several scenarios where your team must take out the terrorists without harming the hostages. Several variants to cooperative Vs Adversarial game play.
Unreal Tournament/Rocket Arena and Quake3 - Us Vs Them in quick battles. The twitchy hand usually wins.

Can't comment much on on-line play. Have satellite and the 1-second lag makes for difficult gameplay.

Running a 2.53 Intel with an ATI 9600, 1Gig of ram, and, of course, 4.1 promedias on a soundblaster Audigy2.

Jazdale

• 1 month later...

Well folks long time no talk. I got a serious problem I cannot install ANY GAMES on my computer. I don't know what is going on. Even ones I previously had played before. I'm thinking one of them updated downloads from microsoft did something to make em all read corrupt file, or something of the sorts. I've tried turning off my firewall, and my virus protector still don't know what to do. [:(]

I kind of have the same probelm as you, wheelman, except, when I'm

trying to install say Far Cry, I get the error saying something like

"Error: File Data1.cab is either corrupt or missing. Reinstalling this

application may fix this problem." except I have no Idea what that

means or what to do about it. However, I would expect no problems with

Far Cry, esp. considering I get this error when trying to install the

64-bit extension (BTW I Do have XP 64) so I have no Idea what

is going on. Also for me, if anyone knows what I'm talkin about, when I

go to play Far Cry, the picture pops up, and then nothing, doesn't run

or anyting, and yet, the same copy ran on my old Dell w/ XP

home....help!

I kind of have the same probelm as you, wheelman, except, when I'm trying to install say Far Cry, I get the error saying something like "Error: File Data1.cab is either corrupt or missing. Reinstalling this application may fix this problem." except I have no Idea what that means or what to do about it. However, I would expect no problems with Far Cry, esp. considering I get this error when trying to install the 64-bit extension (BTW I Do have XP 64) so I have no Idea what is going on. Also for me, if anyone knows what I'm talkin about, when I go to play Far Cry, the picture pops up, and then nothing, doesn't run or anyting, and yet, the same copy ran on my old Dell w/ XP home....help!

We may need a special thread on this. I just got a new lcd monitor and have yet to play a game with it.[li]

HI Shade I went and just tried to install "Painkiller". I got CRC checking failed 'maps.pak' was not copied correctly. I think Iv'e got something like corrupt files on another one, but I can't seem to find it "Area 51". I may have threw it out.

Any chance the discs are scratched or burned backup copies? A scratched disc or a bad burn could cause that.

Otherwise, try reinstalling your IDE drivers. Let me know whether that works.