OT: Burger King Commercial

ARPRINCE

Has anyone seen the BK commercial recently? It starts out when a guy who just woke up in the morning, opens up a window and lo'and behold - the KING is standing infront of the window outside waiting for him with the sandwich.

I don't know about you guys but that commercial gives me the creeps. The first time I saw it I thought the KING was a stalker or something. Match that with his overgrown face, geeezzeee...really scary.

The 'giant sandwich' they're advertising will help save Social Security by killing people long before they're eligible for it:

It's merrily at the top of the fast-food "instant-heart-attack" selection with:

Amount Recommended Daily Value %

760 calories 38%

50 g of fat 76% (!!!)

18 g of sat. fat 90% (!!!!!!)

420mg of cholesterol 140% (!!!!!!!!!!!)

2000mg Sodium 83% (!!!!)

And this is THE SANDWICH ONLY!

If you add some fries and a soft drink, you pretty much meet your caloric needs for the day and take in DOUBLE the saturated fat, cholesterol, and salt.

Just makes me want to puke when I see that ad, because HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS will die from eating that food.

Take a look at what blood looks like after a breakfast like that:

serumafterbreakfast.jpg

All of that cloudy stuff is fat... floating freely in your bloodstream... and it's immensely thrombogenic. It's a wonder people aren't dropping dead right at the Burger King counter!

Well Meuge....

The picture has sure been an eye opening experience for me. I spent the last 10 years working in a hospital and maybe thats why it has such an impact with me.....?

I've been telling people about the difference in what I see and it is amazing to say the least.6.gif

Kind of a sore subject for me because I never eat at BK, McD's or any of those places. I'm always less than 10% BF and usually well below that which is no big deal except for the fact that people at work are constantly giving me crap about it. Wish I had a nickel for every time I heard "You do your barbell curls, I prefer 12oz curls".

It's hard to fault places like BK. People know better, they just don't care. It's the kids being taught to eat that way I feel sorry for. I know BK targets them but look at the examples the parents are setting.

That sure is a shocker hearing about all the overweight kids and people in general. On our local Disney radio station they play songs trying to get the kids motivated.

A young girl called in one day trying to win something and the radio host asked what she had done all weekend. The young girl said she spent the entire weekend watching tv.15.gif

Can you say: "serious health problems later in life"

----------------

On 4/25/2005 5:14:32 PM SteelerFan wrote:

Kind of a sore subject for me because I never eat at BK, McD's or any of those places. I'm always less than 10% BF and usually well below that which is no big deal except for the fact that people at work are constantly giving me crap about it. Wish I had a nickel for every time I heard "You do your barbell curls, I prefer 12oz curls".

It's hard to fault places like BK. People know better, they just don't care. It's the kids being taught to eat that way I feel sorry for. I know BK targets them but look at the examples the parents are setting. ---------------

Steeler: I'm with you! The people here on this forum who know me also know that I am very obese. I understand the inverse situation of what you are describing: Some people get on your case for being fit. They get on mine for being fat. More accurately, they don't tell me to my face because of all of the stupid diversity rules we now have, due to someone's quest for a "perfect world". Instead, they talk behind my back. I guess that says a lot about their own character doesn't it? Frankly, I'd rather be fat and have integrity, rather than be a cowardly elitist.

This is not directed at anyone in particular:

Trust me: I do not "NEED" anyone to "save me" from the "ravages" of fast food joints the likes of McDonald's and Burger King. Quite frankly fast food eating is not how I got to my present weight. But, I am an adult. I am not lazy, I earn a great living, am not sloppy nor am I any of the other usual stereotypical things these self-righteous morons try to paint me and other like me. It's much more simple than that: I ENJOY FOOD! It has nothing to do with any baggage I am carrying around from my childhood. I'll do what I want, WITHOUT asking anyone else's permission. If I want to lose weight, I'll stop eating so much, WHEN I want to. My kids are not obese. Many people with elitist attitudes are very quick to make assumptions and judgments on such subjects without having any of the facts. What I am really tired of is people sticking their noses into places where they do not belong. To those out there with this seething appetite to try and manipulate the world into conforming their way of thinking: GET OVER YOURSELVES! Therein lies the REAL problem!

History shows us that many people are not confortable around non-conformists. Could it be they are actually afraid because these non-conformists can think for themselves?

Along these lines, you have got to see "Supersize Me", a documentary about the ills of McDonald's food. The filmmaker eats nothing but Mickey D's food for a month, and he gains alot of weight and supposedly has health risks during the taping.

The movie was nominated for an Oscar, and it does keep your interest with alot of details about fast food, and Morgan Spurlock is a funny guy. It does resort to some cheap dramatics to make their point (barfing up food and then showing it, showing moldy old food, etc), and the nutritionist and vegan girlfriend are quite pious and annoying, but it makes a good point: this food is not healthy. Even the McDonalds' salads have alot of sugar in them--

Now if I could just find a healthy food drive-thru for meals when I don't have time to prepare a meal-- !